Ares Games

Thread: TRIVIA QUIZ #11 - AAA

Default TRIVIA QUIZ #11 - AAA

Find below: 10 images, and one Bonus Question.

These are all Anti-Aircraft Artillery weapons. The scourge of Balloon Busters everywhere!

Bonus Question

What was a Flaming Onion?

-Do not post your answers here. E-mail them to me at: brian_hicks@usa.net , or send me PM from the the forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.JPG   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  

No one has tried this quiz yet.

If there are no takers by Sunday, I'll post another quiz. The next one will be 10 colored illustrations of WW1 airplanes.

I'm not sure about this Quiz. Should I just PM or Mail you which Picture shows the flaming Onion?

As I know exactly nothing about the A.A. guns of the period, I await the answer with baited breath. It will fill in a great gap in my knowledge. Not many pilots mention types of artillery, other than to talk about the differing types of flack or archie fired by the different sides. Incidentally, where does that name come from? However flaming onions are reported in several letters by pilots.
    Thanks for taking the trouble to set the Quiz. I'm only sorry that more of us did not take part.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Niemandsland View Post
    I'm not sure about this Quiz. Should I just PM or Mail you which Picture shows the flaming Onion?
    Either one. PM me, or send it via e-mail.

I also know very little about WW1 AAA. Number 6 that looks like a 9 lb. field gun propped up on a box must have been interesting to fire though.

Pooh

I'm glad we at least have people looking and thinking about AAA.

I've just finished reading Aces Falling - War above the trenches, 1918 by Peter Hart (Great book by the way!) and it had numerous period accounts of the pilots flying through AAA as the focus of air superiority looked more to ground support, Strafing, Reconnaissance and Bombing missions during the last year of the war.

Hi Brian,
    That is interesting because I have Aces Falling on my wish list at Amazon. I guess I know which book I will be getting next.
    Rob.

The author is the oral historian at the Sound Archives of the Imperial War Museum. His primary duty is that of recording, archiving and preserving the oral history of the veterans who participated in all actions from the Great war to the present. This book is built around hundreds of those interviews and narratives. It is exceptionally rich with the words of those who actually participated in the events described.

Again... I highly recommend this fellows books.

Thanks for the extra info Brian. Now I'll get off before you think I am trying to hijack your thread.
    Rob.

With no one responding. Trivia #11 is closed.

Here are the answers:

1. British QF 1 pounder Mk II 37 mm "pom-pom" gun

2. British 13 pounder 6 cwt anti-aircraft gun on Mk II mounting, on a Thornycroft Type J lorry, 1916

3. model 1913 of the French auto-canon 75 mm AA on de Dion-Bouton chassis.

4. British QF 3-in 20-cwt

The first British equipment designed specifically for the anti-aircraft role, i.e. not a converted field or coast gun, was the QF 3-in 20-cwt. Introduced in March 1914 it was supplied to both Navy and Army, and remained in service until the early years of World War 2.

5. Geschütze 8.8 Kw Flak.

6.Russian 76.2mm (3 inch) WW1 AA gun

7. 75 mm Skoda anti aircraft gun

8. 37mm M-Flak)

The M-Flak (3.7 cm Maschinenkanone Flak) was capable of firing between 250-300 rounds per minute, each with a muzzle velocity of 540 m/s. Since late 1915 M-Flak batteries defended balloons and important positions and installations. German flak units were part of the Air Service, whilst the majority of the Allied anti-aircraft units were part of the artillery.

This variant is the 3.7 cm M-Flak auf fahrbarer Bettung (on mobile bedding).
    Weight of the gun is given with 938 kg but you can see one of the removed wheels. I assume the other wheel is laying on the opposite side. So, the combat-ready gun had around 790 kg in firing position.

This photograph displays the "common" ammunition box and not the more impressive huge drum magazine.

The gun on mobile bedding was better fitting to frontline conditions than the heavier and more limited earlier version on "Räderlafette".

The gun was transported on limbers of (captured) Russian ammunition wagons. However, for transport in the trenches the gun was distributed in 7 loads. This was still too heavy for frontline use - therefore the S-Flak 3.7 cm was developed.

9. 37mm Sockelflak AA Canon

10. 37mm revolver cannon

Bonus Question

What was a Flaming Onion?

"Flaming Onions: A form of incendiary and illuminating shell much used by the Germans. In appearance it was a string of fire-balls. This shell was used both in order to point out the location of a machine to German anti-aircraft batteries and also against the machines themselves as a means of setting them on fire."

The flaming onion was a 37 mm revolving-barrel anti-aircraft gun used by the German army during World War I, the name referring to both the gun, and especially the flares it fired.

The actual weapon was a Gatling type, smooth bore, short barreled automatic revolver called a 'lichtspucker' (light spitter) that was designed to fire flares at low velocity in rapid sequence across a battle area. This gun had five barrels and could launch a 37 mm artillery shell about five thousand feet (1500 m). To maximize the chance of a strike, all five rounds were discharged as rapidly as possible, giving the 'string of flaming onions' effect. Because most other rounds were fired slowly due to the nature of anti-aircraft artillery at the time, this gun's rapid rate of fire left many fliers thinking that the rounds were attached to a string and they feared being shredded by it. Because the weapon was not designed for anti-aircraft use, it did not have purpose-designed ammunition, but the flares would have been dangerous to fabric-covered aircraft.

Smile Thanks for the quiz.

Thanks for all the info on your trivia quiz Brian. It may not have elicited any responses, but as far as I am concerned it has expanded an area of knowledge, which I am forced to admit, was an area which I had sadly neglected. I will now download the pictures and spend some time comparing them with your very full answers.
    Thanks again, Rob.

Getting folks thinking about the historical aspect of Wings of War, expanding everyone's knowledge bases and having some fun along the way, are all reasons we developed the Trivia Quiz's.

Similar Missions

1. TRIVIA/QUIZ CONTEST
    By usmc1855 in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 01:57
  2. Trivia #9 - Balloon Busters!
    By usmc1855 in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 17:42
  3. Trivia #8
    By aper373 in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 8