Ares Games

Thread: They are coming!!!

Default They are coming!!!

Latest announcement made from Andrea in the WOG Yahoo group:

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww2-wi...airplane-packs

the only thing I can say is OMG THEY ARE COMING!!!!!!

Wonderful models and it's better start saving and start thinking how can I place them in my bag!!!

Marco

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

I just want to tangle with a KaiD with one of the Cr.42s or Gladiators. What better victory then beating the overpowered with the underpowered?

Default Zerstorers, Beaus, Glads and Falcos

The Beaufighters, Gladiators and Falcos look fantastic. I am still a bit concerned by the chunky looking air intakes under the Bf110's DB601 engines, but as a gaming piece I'm sure they will do the job.

'M' and 'N' decks for the Bf110 and the Beau means we will have official cards for use with similar aircraft like the Ki45 and the Pe-2. The base size is also interesting, they look smaller than the bomber bases.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS110C.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	65933

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS110B.jpg 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	65932

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS110A.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	65931

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS109C.jpg 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	65930

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS109A.jpg 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	65928

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS109B.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	65929

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS201B.jpg 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	65935

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS201C.jpg 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	65936

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS201A.jpg 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	65934

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS202A.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	65937

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS202B.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	65938

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS202C.jpg 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	65939

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME I can't say more and can't wait. Thanks much for the post. Oh did I AWESOME

I can't wait to see Faith, Hope and Charity fighting the battle for Malta.

My order will be as follows:

1 x CR42 (German)
    6 x CR42 (Italian)
    1 x Gladiator (Norway)
    6 x Gladiator (Pattle)
    2 x Sea Gladiator
    1 each Beaufighters
    2 each Battle of Britain and North African Bf110
    1 x Bf110 nightfighter

It's going to hurt the pocket but will be worth it.

The bases of WGS heavy fighters are apparently the same size as the small (gotha/caproni-sized) bomber bases from WGF.
    The bases for WGS bombers are also apparently the same size as the large (O400/Zeppelin-sized) bomber bases from WGF that haven't seen light of day yet.

These look good.

OMG this is getting expensive, we don't see anything for years and then all of a sudden we're snowed under, wonderful!!! Yippieee!!

Have you seen the fire power on the Beaufighter!! We need some big ship targets for that!!

cheers,

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    OMG this is getting expensive, we don't see anything for years and then all of a sudden we're snowed under, wonderful!!! Yippieee!!

Have you seen the fire power on the Beaufighter!! We need some big ship targets for that!!

cheers,

Dave.
    Thats why you should have been saving for all those years then.

I'm working on some ship rules to use with WoG but I guess the Beaufighter is somewhat to powerfull to fit those . All help is appriciated to fine tune those. They can ben found here.

Gott sei dank!

We have an Allied plane with enough firepower to finish off every Axis fighter plane with one burst.

Chris, do you copy?

Am I reading this right. At short range the Bristol Beaufighter shoots 4 Cs an A and a B?

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Am I reading this right. At short range the Bristol Beaufighter shoots 4 Cs an A and a B?
    Yes Thomas its weapons were: 6 Vickers 7,7 and a 20 mm cannon plus 1100 lbs of bombs: AMAZING!!!
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by marcoperse View Post
    Yes Thomas its weapons were: 6 Vickers 7,7 and a 20 mm cannon plus 1100 lbs of bombs: AMAZING!!!
    Marco
    Ouch for the enemy.

Just as well they are not coming out till Feb 2013 gives me time to to save up for them as at this stage I want 15 of the various models!

Yes Thomas its weapons were: 6 Vickers 7,7 and a 20 mm cannon plus 1100 lbs of bombs: AMAZING!!
    I'm sorry, but I made a mistake: its wepons were 6 Vickers 7.7 and 4 cannons 20mm plus 2 bombs 1000 lbs each!!!!

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Check out the footage combat cameraman Damien Parer shot from a Beaufighter during the battle of the Bismarck Sea, and other footage here:

http://youtu.be/vsUdbzQCm_Y

The devastation wrought by the 'Ten-Gun Terror' speaks for itself.

From Wikipedia

Southwest Pacific

Before DAP Beaufighters arrived at Royal Australian Air Force units in the South West Pacific theatre, the Bristol Beaufighter Mk IC was employed in anti-shipping missions.

The most famous of these was the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, where they were used in the fire-suppression role in a mixed force with USAAF A-20 Boston and B-25 Mitchell bombers.

No. 30 Squadron RAAF Beaufighters flew in at mast height to provide heavy suppressive fire for the waves of attacking bombers. The Japanese convoy, under the impression that they were under torpedo attack, made the fatal tactical error of turning their ships towards the Beaufighters, leaving them exposed to skip bombing attacks by the US medium bombers. The Beaufighters inflicted maximum damage on the ships' anti-aircraft guns, bridges and crews during strafing runs with their four 20 mm nose cannons and six wing-mounted .303 in (7.7 mm) machine guns. Eight transports and four destroyers were sunk for the loss of five aircraft, including one Beaufighter.

I'm a little bit disappointed that we have no RAAF Beaufighter...
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 11-16-2012 at 05:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Check out the footage combat cameraman Damien Parer shot from a Beaufighter during the battle of the Bismarck Sea, and other footage here:

http://youtu.be/vsUdbzQCm_Y

The devastation wrought by the 'Ten-Gun Terror' speaks for itself.
    What AMAZING firepower.
    I don't know, but we could compare this plane to the A-10 Thunderbolt?

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I have two Skytrex Beaufighters on my painting table which I will be finishing as 30 Squadron RAAF aircraft. I might have to bump them up the priority of work

What AMAZING firepower.
    I don't know, but we could compare this plane to the A-10 Thunderbolt?
    The Fw190A-8/R2 had 2x30mm, 2x20mm, and 2x13mm. So at short range, DDCCB...

Petersplanes does a great 1/144 Beaufighter. He sells it with RAAF decals. Here are a few photos.

Name:	PICT0046.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	66007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0049.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	66008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0045.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	66006

Lloyd
    From Wikipedia

Southwest Pacific

Before DAP Beaufighters arrived at Royal Australian Air Force units in the South West Pacific theatre, the Bristol Beaufighter Mk IC was employed in anti-shipping missions.

The most famous of these was the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, where they were used in the fire-suppression role in a mixed force with USAAF A-20 Boston and B-25 Mitchell bombers.

No. 30 Squadron RAAF Beaufighters flew in at mast height to provide heavy suppressive fire for the waves of attacking bombers. The Japanese convoy, under the impression that they were under torpedo attack, made the fatal tactical error of turning their ships towards the Beaufighters, leaving them exposed to skip bombing attacks by the US medium bombers. The Beaufighters inflicted maximum damage on the ships' anti-aircraft guns, bridges and crews during strafing runs with their four 20 mm nose cannons and six wing-mounted .303 in (7.7 mm) machine guns. Eight transports and four destroyers were sunk for the loss of five aircraft, including one Beaufighter.

Last edited by Lloydthegamer; 11-16-2012 at 07:35.

Wrong scale...

Any informations about the hitpoints of Beafighter & Bf.110?

Two questions, what nationality is the non British Gladiator and what theater was the German Falco operating in?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Two questions, what nationality is the non British Gladiator and what theater was the German Falco operating in?
    The Gladiator is Norwegian
    The German Falco operated in Northern Italy with the Nachtschlachtgruppe (NSGr.) 9.

Karl

I'm sorry, but I made a mistake: its wepons were 6 Vickers 7.7 and 4 cannons 20mm plus 2 bombs 1000 lbs each!!!!

Marco
    I got what you were saying. That darn auto correct.

Thomas

The Gladiator is from Norway, but I am not sure about Falco. On Czech Wiki is a note about using them like ligth nightfigter on Eastern front by Luftwaffe in the last phase of WWII. Can anybody confirm this theory?

Edit: Late and wrong, never mind
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 11-17-2012 at 03:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    The Gladiator is from Norway, but I am not sure about Falco. On Czech Wiki is a note about using them like ligth nightfigter on Eastern front by Luftwaffe in the last phase of WWII. Can anybody confirm this theory?
    I found this site with google: http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/falco_germany.htm
    The original intent of the Luftwaffe order was for night harassment bombing on the Eastern Front.
    The Nachtschlachtgruppe (NSGr.) 9 operated in Italy, and Nachtschlachtgruppe (NSGr.) 7 in Croatia as anti-partisan aircraft.
    Karl

:clap: Gott sei dank! :clap:
    We have an Allied plane with enough firepower to finish off every Axis fighter plane with one burst. :pray:
    Chris, do you copy?;)
    Would this be a bad time to mention: The Beaufighter is one of my personal favorite acft. of the War? :)

Even better: It can be repainted as a unit of 414th, 415th, 416th, or 417th NFS, 12th AF, USAAF ( http://aviationtrivia.blogspot.com/2...f-bristol.html ); one of only three British designs the US brought into its air forces (the others being the Spitfire and the Mosquito).

At least I won't have to explain to people any more why "the most powerful Allied unit in the game" is a *P-39 Airacobra*.... :)

Well I could get it rescaled to 1/200 BUT I suspect there would be little interest as AIM do one and of course there are the just about released Official ones!

Quote Originally Posted by pbhawkin View Post
    Well I could get it rescaled to 1/200 BUT I suspect there would be little interest as AIM do one and of course there are the just about released Official ones!
    I'm sure you'd have some takers for 1/200 decals though.

The Beaufighters models are marked as Mk 1F fighters, which had no rear gun and did not carry bombs, torpedo or rockets, however they could be adapted.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The Beaufighters models are marked as Mk 1F fighters, which had no rear gun and did not carry bombs, torpedo or rockets, however they could be adapted.
    The Coastal Command version is the only one with a rear gun.

"the most powerful Allied unit in the game" is a *P-39 Airacobra*
    I didn't know this plane ( please forgive me) and I searched in internet and discover its firepower: WTF!!!! I immediately want its 1/200 mini!!!

Marco

Be wary of what you are asking for. One of the P39's nicknames was the Iron Dog, it was not an extremely effective air to air fighter in the South Pacific. It was very effective as ground attack aircraft. To be fair, the Russians used them quite a bit in the fighter role. Lloyd
    I didn't know this plane ( please forgive me) and I searched in internet and discover its firepower: WTF!!!! I immediately want its 1/200 mini!!!

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydthegamer View Post
    Be wary of what you are asking for. One of the P39's nicknames was the Iron Dog, it was not an extremely effective air to air fighter in the South Pacific. It was very effective as ground attack aircraft. To be fair, the Russians used them quite a bit in the fighter role. Lloyd
    It was reasonably good at lower altitudes, and had a 37mm cannon (some exports had the 20mm). SW Pacific fighting took place at higher altitudes, generally. They did do good work strafing landing and resupply barges at New Guinea and Gualacanal. And as Llyod said, the Russians used it quite well (No AT rounds for them, however). The firepower is D-B-B / C-B.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 11-17-2012 at 15:17.

And this shows up WoG2's greatest failing: It does not accurately represent the acft. of the period.

The P-39's failings were many: It was underpowered to start with, not only was it slow, it had an appallingly long takeoff run. It could not fight effectively above 16,000', due to its lack of a supercharger (air above that altitude is too thin to provide enough oxygen for the engine to run on). It's handling was not brilliant, due to the midship engine mount; it tended to flat-spin. In short, it was one of the worst acft. of the war. (The Soviet Union didn't use it as a fighter as much as they used it as a ground-attack bird.)

But, since cannon-armed acft. in _WoG2_ are all-powerful, and maneuverability is severely undervalued, the P-39's effectiveness in the game is light-years beyond what it should be. Thus, we get reactions like yours.

Using the optional rules for altitude, try taking one where it's restricted to slow maneuvers above alt 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The Nachtschlachtgruppe (NSGr.) 9 operated in Italy
    The uniti operated on the front in the areas of Anzio and Cassino.
    This very Cr.42 was shot down on the Vico Lake, 40 km north of Rome and 4 km north of Capranica (the village where Wings of War has been invented), on the night of 1st/2nd of June, 1944. A Beaufighter of 600 Squadron RAF destroyed it while it was going back home after attacking Allied columns and artillery between Artena and Cori, on the path from Cassino to Rome (30 km inland from Anzio). Feldwebel Horst Greßler was trying to get back to his home arfield at Fabrica di Roma, 8 km east of the lake.
    Google maps can give you an idea if you look for those names. Rome has been freed a couple of days after.
    More details and a photo of the pilot in Osprey's "Fiat CR.42 Aces of World War 2" by Hakan Gustavsson and Ludovico Slongo. And on the utterly great site by Gustavsson himself about biplane WW2 aces:
    http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/falco_germany.htm

lidz

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    And this shows up WoG2's greatest failing: It does not accurately represent the acft. of the period.

The P-39's failings were many: It was underpowered to start with, not only was it slow, it had an appallingly long takeoff run. It could not fight effectively above 16,000', due to its lack of a supercharger (air above that altitude is too thin to provide enough oxygen for the engine to run on). It's handling was not brilliant, due to the midship engine mount; it tended to flat-spin. In short, it was one of the worst acft. of the war. (The Soviet Union didn't use it as a fighter as much as they used it as a ground-attack bird.)

But, since cannon-armed acft. in _WoG2_ are all-powerful, and maneuverability is severely undervalued, the P-39's effectiveness in the game is light-years beyond what it should be. Thus, we get reactions like yours.
    The P-39 was incredibly deadly in the right hands. Five of the top ten Soviet aces scored the majority of their victories in the P-39. The Russians would often remove the wing guns in the Cobra but that isn't too much out of the norm (U.S. pilots would often remove wing guns from P-40s and P-51s down to 4 or even just 2 guns to gain the smallest advantages). Even German pilots flying the Fw-190 (arguably the best German fighter of the war) learned to respect the P-39s strengths (namely it's "overpowered" 37mm M4 cannon). A Soviet pilot even once said "Soon, however, the Germans started evading frontal attack against our "Cobras". We had a 37 mm gun, so no engine would save you, and one hit was enough to kill you.". Ironically, the U.S. was the one who used the P-39 as a ground attack aircraft while the Soviets loved it's strengths as a fighter. But even in U.S. hands many squadrons could hold their own against the Japanese in the Pacific. 80 victories for about the sane loses, and this is even with Japanese numerical supremacy and veteran pilots.

Am I the only one who noticed a four-number gap in the SKU's? The last in WGS first release was 104, and the bipes are 109 and 110.

Sharp eye!
    P-51, Fw 190, Spitfire Mk.IX and Ki-84 will soon fill the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

Thank you so much to teach me not to stop and go frenzy at the first sight of a cannon.
    Next time I'll "investigate" a little bit more before posting

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by lidz View Post
    The P-39 was incredibly deadly in the right hands. Five of the top ten Soviet aces scored the majority of their victories in the P-39.
    That applies to *any* acft. -- look at what Finland accomplished with the Buffalo.

The Russians would often remove the wing guns in the Cobra but that isn't too much out of the norm (U.S. pilots would often remove wing guns from P-40s and P-51s down to 4 or even just 2 guns to gain the smallest advantages).
    Um -- I've never read or seen anything which ever mentions US pilots removing guns.

Even German pilots flying the Fw-190 (arguably the best German fighter of the war) learned to respect the P-39s strengths (namely it's "overpowered" 37mm M4 cannon). A Soviet pilot even once said "Soon, however, the Germans started evading frontal attack against our "Cobras". We had a 37 mm gun, so no engine would save you, and one hit was enough to kill you.". Ironically, the U.S. was the one who used the P-39 as a ground attack aircraft while the Soviets loved it's strengths as a fighter.
    Eastern Front air combat was almost-entirely low-level work, where the -39's lack of supercharging went unnoticed; and the Soviets used them as ground-attack primarily, with air-to-air as a secondary. (Note also the Soviets mainly gave them to established successful units -- "Guards" fighter units and such.)

But even in U.S. hands many squadrons could hold their own against the Japanese in the Pacific. 80 victories for about the sane loses, and this is even with Japanese numerical supremacy and veteran pilots.
    The -39 was deployed at the PTO front lines for a *very* short time -- maybe a year (two, if the RAAF and RAF deployments are included) before being cycled out and replaced; also, most kills were scored at low-level during ground-attack missions. In short: The experience of the P-39's use is as a ground-attack aircraft, with an option to dogfight.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Actually Lidz does bring up a few very good points. It wasn't uncommon for pilots to do small modifications to their birds. Finnish Buffaloes were no exception. With completely different armaments and all the unnecessary carrier weight (tail hooks, structural strengthening) taken off, the Buffalo was a very good aircraft. Gregory Boyington was actually quoted saying that it could have been the best fighter in the Pacific until someone messed it up by putting all the extra weight on it. U.S. pilots also saw the gains in taking off guns (especially ones prone to jamming) for the small performance boosts. Japanese pilots would take out faulty radios. Germans would take off the hated wing cannons when able later in the war. Italian pilots would even take off their canopies because they were mostly used to open canopy biplanes.

It is a myth that the Soviets used the P-39 primarily as a ground attack aircraft. They loved it's strengths and found it to have several over early to mid-war 109s, some pilots even flying the P-39 until the end of the war. Though capable of attacking ground units, the Soviets had far better dedicated kites for that purpose so they ended up using the P-39 for what it was built, low altitude dogfighting. Much of that myth stems from the U.S. not believing that the Soviets could use their fighter better then they could.

Similar Missions

1. WSF The Nieuports 28 are coming!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 20:50
  2. The biplanes are coming!
    By FrankJamison in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 16:25
  3. new B-25b coming in JULY!!!!
    By LewdDude in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 27