Ares Games

Thread: Official Gloster Gladiator Painting Thread

Default Official Gloster Gladiator Painting Thread

I painted these AIM miniatures as the fabled Faith, Hope, and Charity. Don't be fooled by the "STBR" designation on the website. David Schmid has them. I used Hurricane and Defiant decals that I also ordered from AIM. These are, like my other planes, table ready. They don't have serial numbers, and I painted the tip of each propeller a different color so that I can tell them apart. I made the bases and stands by slightly modifying clipper1801's instructions found here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...to+frame+stand .

I plan to use these planes in a Malta scenario I will run at Marscon in January. If you are in the mid-Atlantic region, Marscon is a great time and a great deal. www.marscon.net

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	65594

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	65595

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	65596
    Last edited by flash; 12-22-2013 at 14:34.

Three very famous kites David - hope the con goes well

Nice - I'm curious about the upcoming Ares Games miniatures.

Great David.
    I always wanted to see those depicted.
    Very nice rendition too.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Nice - I'm curious about the upcoming Ares Games miniatures.
    I am also looking forward to the new miniatures releases. I plan on purchasing some of the Fiat CR 42s to go against these planes.

These are great Gladiators Dave. I have a couple of metal Air200 I have had on the bench for two years, might be time to finish them off.

Thumbs up

Wonderful job on those historic Aircraft. Like you mat too!

David, they look very nice. Dave Schmidt sent me a couple of pre-production models without the mounting post and I've got them half-painted up as 615 Squadron Gladiators in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    David, they look very nice. Dave Schmidt sent me a couple of pre-production models without the mounting post and I've got them half-painted up as 615 Squadron Gladiators in France.
    My Gladiators are also preproduction models without mounting posts. I made mounting posts by clipping bits of sprues from other model kits -- some of them were rounded so that the ball bearings fit splendidly.

Default WGS 1/200 scale Air 200 Gloster Gladiator Mk.II's 3 Squadron RAAF

Hello all,

Dave's effort prompted me to finish off a couple of Gladiators I've had on the back burner for a couple of years. Aaron (afilter on this forum) picked them up for me from 'Last Square' in March 2010, thanks wingman! I was initially going to complete them as 615 Sqn RAF in France 1940, but decided to make them Australian Gladiators.

Name:	3SqnRAAFGladiator1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	66975

3 Squadron RAAF was equipped with Gloster Gladiator biplane fighters from September 1940 to January 1941, seeing heavy combat against the Regia Aeronautica in the skies of North Africa. 3 Squadron’s Gladiators were finished in the four colour ‘counter shading camouflage’ with dark earth/dark green on the top of the upper wing and upper fuselage, and light earth/light green on the top of the lower wing and lower part of the fuselage. The underside was painted black and white divided down the centre-line with no under-wing roundels.

Name:	IMG_2223.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	66978

Z NW was a Gloster Gladiator Mk.II received from the Royal Egyptian Air Force and flown on 14 combat sorties by 3 Sqn RAAF. On 19/11/40 F/L Alan Rawlinson damaged a Fiat CR42 Falco whilst flying this aircraft, and on 25/1/41 F/O Peter Turnbull damaged a Fiat G.50. Rawlinson survived the war with 8 kills, leading 78 Fighter Wing RAAF in Borneo in 1945 and finally retiring from the RAF as group Captain in 1961. Turnbull was killed in action as CO of 76 Sqn RAAF flying a P-40E during a ground attack mission at Milne Bay in New Guinea on 27 August 1942. At the time of his death Turnbull had been credited with 10 victories.

Name:	IMG_2224.jpg 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	66979

G NW was another Gloster Gladiator Mk.II received from 33 Sqn RAF and flown on 13 sorties from 15/11/40. On 19/11/40 flying this aircraft F/O Alan Boyd shot down three Fiat CR42 Falcos and claimed a fourth probably destroyed. Boyd was a true biplane ace scoring 6 kills in six weeks in November and December 1940, all Italian Falcos. This aircraft was shot down in combat with CR42s near Sollum on 13/12/40, with the pilot F/O Wilfred ‘Woof’ Arthur parachuting to safety. ‘Woof’ Arthur ended the war a Group Captain with 8 kills and was party to the so-called ‘Morotai Mutiny’ by senior RAAF fighter pilots in the SW Pacific in 1945. There is a card in 'The Last Biplanes' card set for F/O Boyd's Gladiator (card no. 9/72).

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	66980

The metal Air200 miniatures were challenging, with the struts not fitting quite right. This was a particular problem with the cabane struts, many of which were far too short. I began yearning for a resin miniature for a while there. The roundel and fin flash decals are Shed Models and the letters are white railroad gothic from Microscale. Despite this I am happy with the overall result, they look fine as gaming pieces. Can't wait to fly them against CR42's in the new year.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 11-27-2012 at 15:13.

Superb Carl. You deserve a bouquet for those, they are magnificent.
    So here are some more Australian Gladdies.

Name:	dame-edna-everage-3.jpg 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	66981
    I will delete this post later honest Keith.

Rob.

(Cringing as I type this)

Ta Rob, or as Dame Edna would say 'Thanks awfully possum!'

Great paint jobs. I have 2 AIR200 models but I am not as talanted as you so I appreciate your paint jobs more.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Great paint jobs. I have 2 AIR200 models but I am not as talanted as you so I appreciate your paint jobs more.
    I won't be doing any more Air 200 Gladiators, too fiddly at 1/200 scale. I managed to get the top wings glued into place so they look ok, but peek underneath and only two cabane struts actually contact the wing. I applaud anyone who tackles this aircraft

Thank goodness the offical versions are coming out in a couple of months, less stress.

Carl can you point me in the right direction to get colour pictures of No3 Sqn RAAF Gladiators, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Carl can you point me in the right direction to get colour pictures of No3 Sqn RAAF Gladiators, thanks
    Hi Doug,

Here are a couple of webpages depicting 3 Squadron RAAF Gladiators:

http://www.1001maquettes.fr/maquette...2-sqn-egy.html

http://www.pavlac.fr/spip.php?article233

This one is an Egyptian Air Force Gladiator, some of which were transferred to 3 Squadron RAAF and used in the same four colour camouflage scheme:

http://www.pavlac.fr/spip.php?article248

This photo is B&W, but you can see the dark green/dark earth - light green/light earth contrast.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/galler...ron/IWM_CM_245

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers,

Carl.

Thanks Carl just what I needed.

I've painted my two Shapeways Gloster Gladiators for the upcoming Solo Campaign.
    The photos aren't very sharp. Sorry.

I've painted them as Gladiators, but they'll see their first engagements as Sea Gladiators.

Seen from the underside.

The roundels are paper, the letters painted white.

They're much better in reality than in the photos.

My complete flight. Two Ares, two Shapeways.

Ready for action.

Can't wait to see those chaps in action Joaquim.
    You have made a very nice job of them as usual.
    I just hope my AIM Wimpeys come out as well.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice job, Joaquim. Did you do the stripes on the hoods by hand, or are those decals?

Well done Joaquim! Just as Rob says, your work is nice!

Nicely done, Joaquim! Sharp colors, and your lettering displays a steady hand.

Thumbs up

Just finished three Shapeways Gladiators!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0073.jpg   000_0078.jpg   000_0079.jpg   000_0081.jpg  

Smile

Joaquim

Thank you. It`s all those coats of Testors gloss coat! The opposition included!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0084.jpg   000_0082.jpg   000_0083.jpg  

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Hello Everyone, Am very much enjoying all of these repaints of the Gloster Gladiator as I plan to do one from an ARES miniature myself: Unless of course this is not allowed like Herpa of Germany have a tendency to insist with their models ...
    Last edited by flash; 03-09-2015 at 10:09.

Afternoon Barney.
    There are no problems with repainting Ares products or even modifying them. In fact it is positively encouraged.
    See our many repainting competitions here on the Drome.
    We would love to see your rendering of any machine either historical or fictional.
    Go for it old bean.
    Rob

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Afternoon Barney.
    There are no problems with repainting Ares products or even modifying them. In fact it is positively encouraged.
    See our many repainting competitions here on the Drome.
    We would love to see your rendering of any machine either historical or fictional.
    Go for it old bean.
    Rob
    Good Afternoon Sir,

Thank you for your encouragement towards this project - now I know that it can go ahead especially. Once done I would be delighted to provide some photos for the site. All that I now require is the aircraft miniature and whilst I await that some advice on which paints are best to use ...

Aussietonka

You will find as many answers to paint to use as there are manufacturers Barney.
    We all have our own little idiotsyncrasies when it comes to paints.
    One good place to start is here.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ghlight=paints.

Rob.

Gloster Gladiator MK.I

Nexus card, Finish markings., Lt. Jorn Juul Ulrich from Lentolaivue 26 Finish airforce, decals from Michal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4606.jpg   IMG_4607.jpg   IMG_4608.jpg   IMG_4609.jpg  
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Gloster Gladiator MK.I

Nexus card, Soviet markings., Major J. Kowas, some decals - like the writing on the fuselage from Nemanja.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4597.jpg   IMG_4598.jpg   IMG_4599.jpg   IMG_4600.jpg  

Great renderings.
    What does the writing say Sven?
    Rob.

победа = victory

Cheers Sven.
    Rob.

Love the Finnish Gladiator. I don't have any Finnish aircraft in my collection .... yet.

Good work, Sven. Well done!

Similar Missions

1. Official RAF BE 2a/b/c/d painting thread
    By 144sram in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-14-2024, 01:15
  2. Official DH.2 Painting Thread
    By jbmacek in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:14
  3. Official DH4 painting thread
    By Guntruck in forum Painting Showcase