Ares Games

Thread: WGS Spanish Civil War - 1/200 AIM Legion Kondor Messerschmitt Bf109E's

Default WGS Spanish Civil War - 1/200 AIM Legion Kondor Messerschmitt Bf109E's

Ever since I can recall I have been fascinated by the Spanish Civil War, particularly the international involvement. After reading Ian Westwell's 'Spearhead' book 'Condor Legion - The Wehrmacht's Training Ground' I was motivated to paint up two AIM Messerschmitt Bf109E miniatures in Spanish Nationalist colours. Both are E-3's assigned to 2. Staffel, Jagdgruppe 88 based at Lacenia in early 1939 during the final days of the war. 6 X 111 was piloted by Leutnant Werner Ursinus, who was awarded the Spanish Cross in Gold with Swords for his service with the Condor Legion. The aircraft and pilot are represented by the old DoW 'Eagles of the Reich' card 3/72.

I have a few 'Ratas' on the bench half done. I'm looking forward to matching them up in some aerial battles over Catalonia in the near future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Legion Condor Bf109E.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	65525

Name:	2 Legion Condor Bf109E.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	65526

Name:	4 Legion Condor Bf109E.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	65527

Name:	3 Legion Condor Bf109E.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	65528

The finish is a weather and dust worn RLM02, which research indicated went a brown-grey colour (see image below) rather than the light grey you often seen in artist impressions taken from black and white photographs.

Name:	Legion Condorr 1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	65529

Decals are homemade on clear decal paper, with white Shed decals under the black wing roundels.

Name:	Bf109 Legion Condor decals.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	65530
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 11-27-2012 at 19:37.

Very nice early birds, Carl. I've been thinking of getting into this particular air war period of WOG for a long time. Played with cards several times, but minis would make a change. Well done, Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Hi Andrea,

Have no doubt once my other projects are done there will be Nationalist Heinkels, Republican Tupolevs, and numerous other aircraft to flesh out a Spanienkrieg campaign.

Regards,

Carl.

I was only suggesting this because the card is already there. And maybe even converting a WGS He-111H is not so hard.
    If I had to give my suggestion with no such considerations, I'd go for Fiat Cr.32 biplanes instead! My mother's cousin Gigi Armanino was shot down twice on them in Spain (and once, for the last time, on a Macchi C.200 over Malta - being then POW and ending his war career).

That certainly gives a chance to branch out a bit Carl and add a little bit of variety to the colour schemes of the aircraft.
    What we need next is a little synopsis of the aircraft and background to the air war during this conflict.
    Anyone?
    Rob.

Very nice Carl you made also a mini to represent Galland? But how many minis are you painting???????

Marco

I was only suggesting this because the card is already there. And maybe even converting a WGS He-111H is not so hard.
    If I had to give my suggestion with no such considerations, I'd go for Fiat Cr.32 biplanes instead! My mother's cousin Gigi Armanino was shot down twice on them in Spain (and once, for the last time, on a Macchi C.200 over Malta - being then POW and ending his war career).
    The CR32 is indeed a fantastic aircraft - attractive and manouverable. For all that has been written about the Legion Kondor it should be remembered that the Italian contribution to the Nationalist cause outweighed that of Germany. As I recall the Aviazione Legionaria accounted for some 900+ kills compared with 320+ for the Legion Kondor.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That certainly gives a chance to branch out a bit Carl and add a little bit of variety to the colour schemes of the aircraft.
    What we need next is a little synopsis of the aircraft and background to the air war during this conflict.
    Anyone?
    Rob.
    Hi Rob,

Here are some links to a great internet resource on aerial operations during the Spanish Civil War, one for each year:

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw-1936.htm

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw-1937.htm

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw-1938.htm

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw-1939.htm

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by marcoperse View Post
    Very nice Carl you made also a mini to represent Galland? But how many minis are you painting???????

Marco
    I have been buying more than painting recently, and have 40 miniatures in various stages of completion. I just find these days my time is too stretched by work and family to get more done.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 11-13-2012 at 14:55.

Nice planes, Carl.

Do you use the plane cards from the Eagles of the Reich Booster?

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Nice planes, Carl.

Do you use the plane cards from the Eagles of the Reich Booster?
    Thanks Sven. Yes I have two 'Eagles of the Reich' sets. You can never have enough manouver decks!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hi Rob,

Here are some links to a great internet resource on aerial operations during the Spanish Civil War, one for each year:

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw-1936.htm

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw-1937.htm

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw-1938.htm

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw-1939.htm

Cheers,

Carl.
    This is the Spanish Civil War 'home page' for this excellent website: http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/scw.htm

3rd time unlucky (or should that be lucky???)

Yes I too had a look at SCW planes there were far more types than I expected, including some WW1 types. Though with all the different types of aircraft which set of rule do you you use. I thought of WoW WW1 but settled on DoW. PS nice models Carl they look the part.

I have been buying more than painting recently, and have 40 miniatures in various stages of completion. I just find these days my time is too stretched by work and family to get more done.
    Uhmmm, this thing doesn't sound me new, why?

Post some others pictures as soon as you'll finish painting

Marco

Hello Andrea,

I would like to put my order in now for a 'Revolution in the Skies' set with the CR32, the I-15, the I-16 and an early model Messerschmitt Bf109 'Berta', 'Caesar' or 'Dora', supplemented with a Bomber pair consisting of the Tupolev SB-2 and the Heinkel He111P 'Pedro'. I'll take three of each fighter and bomber thanks!

Cheers,

Carl

I'd love to do that too!

We would need a bit morte than 3 preorders... But eventually I am sure that we will manage!

I'd love to do that too!

We would need a bit morte than 3 preorders... But eventually I am sure that we will manage!
    Make it 4. I want the I-15/I-152 and Fiat 32 anyway. That will require a new maneuver deck though. An I-153 could use the exiting L deck.

Default Galland's Spanish mount

Hi Marco,

I found a picture of Dolfo Galland's aircraft, but he flew a Heinkel He51 in Spain.

Name:	He_51_LC_Galland_Kopie_klein72.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	66128

Galland became an acknowledged ground attack expert in Spain and started WW2 flying a Henschel Hs123 in Poland. He only switched to fighters after the Polish campaign.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 11-18-2012 at 05:27.

Default Aircraft of the Spanish Civil War - Part One

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Anyone?
    Rob.
    In response to Rob's challenge I have started completing one page summaries regarding aircraft used by both sides during the Spanish Civil War July 1936 - March 1939.

Each will contain brief specifications, images in wartime livery, a three view plan where available, and a brief description of the type in service.

These first 8 aircraft are just part one of this project. They were in service at the start of the war, or entered service soon after the commencement of hostilities.

I hope this adds to our collective knowledge of this bloody conflict that tore Spain apart and was used as a training and testing ground by the armed forces of Germany, Italy and the Soviet Union.

Name:	Breguet XIX.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	66123

Name:	NiD52.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	66122

Name:	Vickers Vildebeest.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	66121

Name:	SM81.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	66120

Name:	Fiat CR32.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	66119

Name:	He51.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	66118

Name:	D372.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	66126

Name:	Potez540.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	66116
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 11-18-2012 at 03:53.

The problem is that WGS can't easily cope with speeds less than ~330 km/h.

Hi Marco,

I found a picture of Dolfo Galland's aircraft, but he flew a Heinkel He51 in Spain.

Attachment 66106

Galland became an acknowledged ground attack expert in Spain and started WW2 flying a Henschel Hs123 in Poland. He only switched to fighters after the Polish campaign.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Thanks Carl, I'm really fond of this ace!!!!

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    The problem is that WGS can't easily cope with speeds less than ~330 km/h.
    Too true. Wingman Doug made the comment earlier that he was tossing up using the WGF rules for Spanish Civil War combat. Some of the early aircraft like the Breguet XIX and the Vickers Vildebeest would indeed be suitable, but most are too fast for the 220kph limit for that system. Many of the biplane fighters just make the grade for WGS, like the Fiat CR32 (360kmh), Heinkel He51 (330kph), Polikarpov I-15 (350kmh) and the Dewoitine D.372 (380kmh), but as you pointed out Zoe the early bombers are generally too slow for WGS. At least the more modern types like the Tupolev SB-2 (420+kmh), the Savoia Marchetti SM.81 (340kmh) and the Fiat BR.20 (430kmh) are fast enough. I reckon they will be enough to make SCW missions interesting.

Very nice 109's. Another part of the war to explore.

Default Aircraft of the Spanish Civil War - Part Two

Here are another three iconic aircraft supplied to the Spanish Republican air force by the Soviet Union:

Name:	I15.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	66300

Name:	I16.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	66303

Name:	SB2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	66302

Love 'em, much better colour contrast than I ended up with, I keep meaning to go back and paint the grey in much darker but never have.

cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for those references Carl very useful. I am going for the later half of the SCW where the WW2 rules can be used. Plus there are models avaibale for the later period.

Default Aircraft of the Spanish Civil War Part 3 - Messerschmitt Bf109's over Spain 1936-1939

Hi all, waiting for the paint on my Hayabusas to dry, I have uploaded more Aircraft of the Spanish Civil War fact sheets. This time they are about Messerschmitt Bf109's that saw service in Spain, from the 'Berta' to the 'Emil'.

Name:	Bf109B.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	70160

Name:	Bf109C.jpg 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	70159

Name:	Bf109D.jpg 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	70158

Name:	Bf109E.jpg 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	70157
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 01-04-2013 at 03:58.

Default Aircraft of the Spanish Civil War Part 4 - Dive Bombers of the Legion Kondor

Two more data cards for the Henschel Hs 123 and early Junkers Ju 87A Stuka:

Name:	Hs123.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	70221

Name:	Ju87.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	70220

Great work on the fighters.

Homemade decals? I would like to know more.

There's a wealth of info on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Great work on the fighters.

Homemade decals? I would like to know more.

There's a wealth of info on this thread.
    Hi Eric,

The Nationalist decals I used for the Bf 109's are on the first post of this thread. I used MS Powerpoint to make the decals, then printed them out on clear decal paper. After letting the ink dry you then spray with Testors decal bonder and leave them to dry overnight.

I applied white discs from Shed Decals under the wing insignia then cut out and applied the home made decals.

Cheers,

Carl.

Name:	Bf109 Legion Condor decals.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	84672

Name:	4 Legion Condor Bf109E.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	84673

Hi Eric,

The Nationalist decals I used for the Bf 109's are on the first post of this thread. I used MS Powerpoint to make the decals, then printed them out on clear decal paper. After letting the ink dry you then spray with Testors decal bonder and leave them to dry overnight.

I applied white discs from Shed Decals under the wing insignia then cut out and applied the home made decals.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Thanks Carl. I want to create a Jasta and a Squadron this summer, so learning how you make decals is very helpful.

I just found this old thread of mine and was wondering who out there would support a WGS Spanish Civil War Kickstarter?

Six aircraft models (2 fighters, one bomber each side):
    - three Republican - Polikarpov I-15 'Chato', Polikarpov I-16 'Mosca' and Tupolev SB-2M100 'Katyushka'
    - three Nationalist - Fiat CR.32 'Chirri', Messerschmitt Bf-109D 'Dora' and Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 'Sparviero'.
    Spanish Map - double sided paper - Madrid one side and Spanish countryside the other.
    Ace cards - Morato, Bonzano, Mölders, Shestakov, Clavero, Tinkler.

I'm sure a bunch here would; I would like to see Ares get regular production into place first though.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I would certainly be interested, but as Karl says, production needs to be sorted first.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Similar Missions

1. My schwarm of AIM Bf109e's painted and based
    By Fritzthefox in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 02:45
  2. AIM Bf109E - Battle of Britain scheme
    By Fritzthefox in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 17:04
  3. Spanish Civil War decals?
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3