Ares Games

Thread: Red Baron Rulebook

Thumbs up Red Baron Rulebook

In the early 90's a video game called 'Red Baron' came out. It was by far one of the best video games of its time, likely of all time. Years ahead of its time. Good AI, Career mode, etc. It is a super game. I'd likely still play it after almost 20 years after it came out, but you need a slower computer to make it playable as I recall (you can download for free if you look around).

Anyway, the next best thing after the game itself was the rulebook. The book had almost 100 pages talking about the history of flight combat in WW1 and then another 100 pages talking about the aircraft, maneuvers, tactics, specs, etc. All with historical photos and diagrams. 200 pages of pure WW1 fighter infomation with only about 40 other pages that talks about the game itself. Yea, I still have the book, because it is cool read.

After some digging on the internet, I found a copy of the book in pdf format and I uploaded it on my website to make sure it didn't go anywhere (well, my website fees are paid up for the next 2 years anyway).

If nothing else read Boelcke's Dicta on page 117 which has Oswald Boelcke's guidelines for training new pilots:

1) Try to secure advantages before attacking. If possible keep the sun behind you.
    2) Always carry through an attack when you have started it.
    3) Fire only at close range and only when your oppenent is properly in your sights.
    4) Always keep your eye on your opponent and never let yourself be decieved by ruses.
    5) In any form of attack it is essential to assail your oppenent from behind.
    6) If your opponent dives on you, do not try to evade his onslaught but fly to meet it.
    7) When over the enemy's lines never forget your own line of retreat.
    8) Attack on principle in groups of 4 or 6. When the fight breaks up into a series of single combats, take care that several do not go for one opponent.

Anyway enjoy: http://www.emeraldcity41.net/downloads/redbaron.pdf

Paul, I'll read this later tonight for sure. You should think about uploading it to the File System here on the site.

Tried and got this message:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

It's a big upload, should I try again?

Link to game download: http://www.dosgamesonline.com/index/...Red_Baron.html

There are utilities that allow you go slow down the game. I might have to try this.

There are tons of missions in this game. It wouldn't hurt to look over them to get ideas about missions for 'Wings'. I'll have to try to get this working on one of my PCs.

Paul, How big of a file is it. There is a server limitation of 2MB for file uploads. I'm trying to work around this, but no luck yet.

About 32MB

Use this site for download for the game: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/309 I have it working.

The other has the 16 color version.
    Last edited by PaulW; 09-05-2009 at 06:06.

Yeah, that's a bit large. I'll see what I can do from my end tonight.

I loved that game. I can still the sickening sound of the bullets hitting my plane! i didn't own a pc so could only play it when I went back home on my brothers pc. That and for ww2 battle of Britain and secret weapons of the Luftwaffe were staples.

Yeah, BoB was a great game! I can still remember getting up early and going to school before it opened to use their computer to play it on. LOL Good times, good time!

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default 3,000 Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Yeah, BoB was a great game! I can still remember getting up early and going to school before it opened to use their computer to play it on. LOL Good times, good time!
    Thats what it cost me to play BoB back in the day. As soon as I heard about it I HAD to have it. If I recall correctly, BoB was an early Lucas Arts game, Great sound! I used to plug my computer into my stereo; and that was 'Blowin' up realllll good". Love to watch those Stukas burn.

Red Baron was my first really accurate flight sim. I don't think there has ever been a WW1 sim to equal it. Certainly the sequels were nowhere as good.
    Gord

Got it downloaded from your original posting O.K.
    Thanks Paul.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Sparkomatic

Saw on Amazon that there is a new PC video game coming out in June, Rise of Flight: The First Great Air War - Iron Cross. Looks gorgous but I wonder how it will fly.

Rise of Flight has been out for a while now. The Iron Cross is just the latest version on DVD with some extras added. There is a couple of threads on there about it already.

I just started browsing through this file and thanks so much for posting it.
    I know next to nothing of WWI planes and pilots.
    This is a nice quick start!

Yes, thanks for the link. I used to love this game, but I'd forgotten how informative the manual was.

I still play Red Baron 2. You can get it running on modern PCs using a Glide wrapper (emulates the old 3DFX cards) and one of a couple of unofficial mods out there (which also add new planes/aces etc).

My goodness! I've had school courses that didn't have as much information as that rulebook. Thank you so much for sharing it. I'm not familiar with the game but the information on history, tactics, and pilots is wonderful. The scenarios seem easily adaptable, too.

Default Good info!

Yes, great info!

Thanks for sharing!

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Paul,

Thanks for the reminder. I dug up my flight sim manuals and looked through them.

I have the original plus the 3d version. The original had all the goodies. I am going to have to sit down and do a read. Going on vacation soon. Just the thing.

I also found a copy of Flying Corps Gold, which to be honest, I never got to run. BUT, it came with some gorgeous maps of the diferent sections of the front.

I am going to try to figure a way of digitizing them. This stuff needs to be available.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Paul,

I also found a copy of Flying Corps Gold, which to be honest, I never got to run. BUT, it came with some gorgeous maps of the diferent sections of the front.

I am going to try to figure a way of digitizing them. This stuff needs to be available.

Thanks again.
    That's great Snowy. Getting clear maps that are not tiny and in black and white is the bane of my life. The ones on The aerodrome are just not good enough to write up my adventures of Nigel. It is O.K. to fly the missions on the table, but when you want to tart it up for a report you need the extra info. If you are flying over a river near Lens you need to know the name of the woods and hamlets around so as not to make a fau pax. Any maps would, therefore, be of inestimable value.
    Rob.

I still own the game and so the book,since my father bought it when it came out.
    The book it's just fantastic. Most of my knowings about WWI come from it

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    I loved that game. I can still the sickening sound of the bullets hitting my plane! i didn't own a pc so could only play it when I went back home on my brothers pc. That and for ww2 battle of Britain and secret weapons of the Luftwaffe were staples.

Spent countless hours playing RED BARON, ACES OF THE PACIFIC AND ACES OVER EUROPE on my old 386 PC. In fact I kept the PC for 20 yrs just so I could play these games from time to time. A year or two ago the pc wouldn't log on but fortunately I had an old boot disk (5.25in) Now that is corrupted so I bought Rise of Flight but need to upgrade the video card.

Rise of flight looks like it is the balls of WW1 sims. There are tons of skins for each plane and You Tube is loaded with videos made from the Mission editor.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob in Florida
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
    In the early 90's a video game called 'Red Baron' came out.
    "RED BARON" was developed by Dynamix and published by Sierra in 1990. Played it a lot. If you were wounded during a campaign, it would tell you "a month goes by, two months go by, three months go by..." Anybody remember "KNIGHTS OF THE SKY" by Microprose?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Baron_II

"In Fighters, One Must Always Quest
    To Be a Well-OiIed Machine For
    Belching, Whoring and Punching of Heads
    ...Because Inevitably The Goal Is
    To Flame The Enemy And Screw His Old Lady"

- THE BEASTLY HUN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MyRedBaron_cropped.jpg  

The only reason I got my first PC (a 486) was to play Red Baron on it. Such a great game.

I did the same except mine was a 386 w/a 120MB hard drive. Still have it and would occasionally play Red Baron but now the PC won't boot up and my boot disks are corrupted.

I recently got Rise of Flight but the flight sim is much harder. I'm not sure if it is the sim, joystick or the PC as I can't line anything up long enough to shoot although I did down my first balloon yesterday

There is a website called gog.com where you can download both versions of Red Baron by Dynamix. It runs in dosbox. I've played it a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    There is a website called gog.com where you can download both versions of Red Baron by Dynamix. It runs in dosbox. I've played it a lot lately.
    It looks good. May have to give it a twirl if ROF is a bust.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gordon
    Sorties Flown

I know this is an old thread, but it seemed appropriate to post this here:

Damon Slye once again has the rights to Red Baron and he's relaunching Red Baron via Kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ames/red-baron

Seems O.K. to me Gordon.
    It fits in with the theme of the thread and may just bring it to life again.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Deroche View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but it seemed appropriate to post this here:

Damon Slye once again has the rights to Red Baron and he's relaunching Red Baron via Kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ames/red-baron
    Rather tempting, though money got tight this fall.
    How does the game play with a standard PC keyboard?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

It looks like it will be a good game.

Similar Missions

1. Der Rote Baron (2008) movie, DVD ?
    By C Stewart in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 02:48