Ares Games

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Entente fighter in the game (minis only)?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nieuport N16

0 0%
  • Nieuport N17

17 10.69%
  • Nieuport N23

1 0.63%
  • Sopwith Camel

68 42.77%
  • Sopwith Snipe

32 20.13%
  • Spad XIII

41 25.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Entente fighter in the game (minis only)?

Default What is your favorite Entente fighter in the game (minis only)?

What is your favorite Entente fighter in the game (minis only)? Which oe do you enjoy most to play?

i Voted camel Cos it was Biggle's plane and thats how I got interested in WW1 air combat in the first place

My vote goes to Nieuport N17. When I leave the battle, any kills I get I've earned.

Tom
    Last edited by CappyTom; 04-06-2010 at 06:36.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    My vote goes to Nieuport N17. When I leave the battle any kills I get I've earned.

Tom
    That's a good way to see it!

Got to be the Camel. If it's good enough for Snoopy....

Seriously, not only is it an iconic plane but it's easily one of the best dogfighters in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    it's easily one of the best dogfighters in the game.
    Is that true? Besides loving the fast Spad I would prefer the Snipe over the Camel every time...

I stick to picking sides from aircraft from the same period of the war, which makes a big difference to how effective some planes are. For me, the three 90 degree right turns gives the Camel an edge over most opponents in a dogfight. I've rarely lost using them. Snipes are great, but they only turned up in a handful of squadrons from October 1918 so the Germans would have the DVII and the Seimens-Schuckert by then to counter it which makes it comparatively less useful IMO.

But the Camels had to deal with the Fokker Dr.I which is a more agile plane. Or am I wrong?

I'm not sure which was more agile in real life, but the WoW Triplane can only make two 90 degree right turns to the Camel's three and is slower (and less durable). It does have wide sideslips which the Camel doesn't. In a turning fight there's probably not much in it, but the Camel's greater speed allows it to disengage easier if needed.

I took a look at the decks and you are right. I must admit I never played the Camel myself up to now. Time to make that repaint of Kissenbarth's Camel I allway wanted to do...

Mine is a Nieuport N17. because of its affiliation with Albert Ball. Tom is right about it being hard work, but when introducing newbies to the game I give them a snipe or some such and it gives them a chance to star right from the start. Nothing brings success like sucess.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Lots of great info here!
    I will definitely start getting into the Nieuport 17. Could be fun.
    I chose the Snipe even though I know I should have chosen the Camel as the more iconic and the more successful fighter. I guess I have been in Snipe Mode lately as it is my newest mini.
    Can I have a do over? ;-P

Gord

This was a harder choice than the axis planes. The snipe has felt a little like a sports car when I have used it. It is fun to have all that maneuverability. I'm sure my favorite will change over time.

I too picked the Nieuport 17, as it was a plane flown by my second favourite pilot, Bishop. I've always liked the lines and the flow of the wings. Despite being very fragile, it's a very pretty plane!

I had to go for the Camel as my Grandfather flew one (after flying RE8's)

I voted Camel, an agile killer in the hands of an good pilot in spite of the notoriety to became unstable at low speeds during landing or take-off.

I confide you: my instinct was to vote Spad XIII to honour Francesco Baracca.

Attilio

I gotta go with the Spad XIII. I love the challenge of flying a plane with less maneuverability but tremendous speed. The fact that Rickenbacker flew one doesn't hurt, either.

Scott

This is really tough. I am torn between the Snipe and Camel. I have an ace in both planes, however I have 2/2 Camel aces but only 1/2 Snipe aces but that's only because I only got my second Snipe recently and haven't been using him for a while. However, my Snipe ace has 6 kills to my Camels' 5. I am more experienced with a Snipe, however I feel more at home when I fly a Camel. In the end I chose the Camel because it's more well known and just looks cooler.

Hunter

Probably the Camel as I prefer swirling engagements over slashing attacks. The Se5 should probably be added to the poll as their release is imminent.

You know, I love the Camel's increased maneuverability, but have had much more success with the SPAD. The raw speed and ability to engage at will is awesome, and something that gets overlooked by the flashier Camel and Snipe.
    Last edited by Maniac; 11-04-2010 at 10:24.

I prefer the Snipe, but it can only be used very late in the war. So I use the Camel most.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Probably the Camel as I prefer swirling engagements over slashing attacks. The Se5 should probably be added to the poll as their release is imminent.
    I have to agree with Chris... and my choice would be a tossup between the Camel and the Se.5a. But the thought of Snoopy downing the Red Baron always makes me grin...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I'll have to go with the speed of the Spad

I've got to go with the Nieuport, the underdog! I agree with Cappy Tom, about earning that "kill" Joe

Default snipe

the sopwith snipe is a fast plane and can take a hit

thyme71

Love the Camel, at least till the Hanriot comes out.

I am going to go so far as to say that I don't like the Snipe and think that it should not have been made into one of the early release minis. That slot should have gone to the SE5a. (which has been my favorite of the WWI planes since I was in grade school and built a model of one.) It came into use far too late in the war to have much an effect. By the time is was active, the CP was out of gas and trained pilots and what was left was vastly outnumbered when it could get into the air.

But, I guess this worked for me in the long run as I was able to get SE5a minis easy, and I would not have been able to do that if they were in the S1 or S2 releases.

For the scope of this poll I voted for the Spad XIII.

Nieuport 17 cause its a cool plane and Bishop flew one.

the Camel cos its iconic!
    Last edited by Happy; 02-11-2011 at 03:51. Reason: typo

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

I just really like Rickenbaker and the Spad XIII

I have the most experience with my Spad....kind of an iconic plane being here in Columbus, Ohio the hometown of Eddie Rickenbacker.

Thumbs up Se5a????

I know this poll was probably put out prior to the SE5a Model release which would be my pick but seeing its not in the Poll I will say Camel!

The SPAD XIII... That's what my heart tells me, I really love the SPAD. It's fast, it's durable, and it just looks awesome. (Hell!! I would even had chosen the SPAD VII if it had a model just from the way it looks, even if it in WoW statisticly is comparable to the Albatros D.III).

Although the SPAD XIII needs a little more skill and room to really come to life and take over the aerospace in WoW it will always be my first choice.

But I must admit, that it's also partially because the SPAD XIII for me just represents everything about the American efforts in the air during the Great War.
    Take for instance my favorite squadron the 13th Aero Squardon. They managed to shoot down 21 Fokker D.VII, 4 Albatross D.V, 2 Albatross D.III, and 1 Rumpler C for a grand total of 28 CONFIRMED kills, while they only themselves suffered 4 KIA and 2 POW for a total of 6 losses.
    All of this they managed to pull of between the 29th of July 1918 and the 11th of November 1918. That's less than 4 months, with most of these guys being fresh out of flight school.

If that isn't impressive, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I know this poll was probably put out prior to the SE5a Model release which would be my pick but seeing its not in the Poll I will say Camel!
    My feelings exactly! If it were included on the list, I'd fly with Joseph Boudwin's SE5a — he was a native Philadelphian, and I've called Philly my home for the last 10-11 years. I'm a complete sucker for sentimental attachments.

That said, my vote was also for Aubry Ellwood's Sopwith Camel

Lugz

I sure like those SPAD XIII's. Hit the gas and out of trouble. Se5a's and Camels are a lot of fun, too. Every time I played Snipes the Hun players ganged up on me and i'm usually the first allied player out of the game. Haven't played the Nieuports yet. I am having a game this weekend and I think I'll volunteer for La Francais.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

What, no section for the S.E.5a. SHAME!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    What, no section for the S.E.5a. SHAME!
    When this thread was started back in the mists of antiquity there was no model for the S.E. 5a. Robert.
    Rob.

SE5a for me. I'm a proponent of the zoom in and out type of attack. But having to choose from the list, I'll go with the Sopwith Camel.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    SE5a for me. I'm a proponent of the zoom in and out type of attack. But having to choose from the list, I'll go with the Sopwith Camel.
    Eggsactly, Mac! I, too, would've voted for the SE5a if it were an option. Hence, I voted for the Camel. I've had much success with Barkers Camel just spinning to the right!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

I think the SPAD has some of the best lines of any of the aircraft.

#1 - F-Toys SPAD VII
    #2 - SE5
    #3 - SPAD XIII (my vote!)

Sopwith Camel.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

se5a! why isnt it on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    se5a! why isnt it on the list?
    As already pointed out in post 38 it wasn't available when the list was drawn up in 2010.

LOOP

Of those I must choose the Camel.
    The Snipe is a better AC and even nicer to fly but there is something special aboute the Camel that can't be overlooked

SPAD XIII (mini only).

N17 (since there is no SE5a option). It is up against the odds most of the time, but can come out on top if flown well, and is a great looking plane to boot!

For a sense of achievement at surviving to the end of a game - I quite like the idea of the DH2.

Though I have to admit that I always seem to tend to use the also ran armies/machines/navies, can't wait for the series 9 mini's to come out

As an aside, anyone given thought to a rule/ card pull or something to reflect how reliable some of the planes were in action?
    E.G. SPADXIII had an engine that was notorious for breaking, Early Albatros & Neiuports wings tearing off in dives etc.

I am pretty sure that the wing structure question has been discussed here at some length Mik.
    If you try a search, or one of the chaps who took part may remember where it is.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 74
    Last Post: 06-09-2020, 16:37
  2. Wings of war board game computer game?
    By =Binks= in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2019, 15:00
  3. Your favorite Plane
    By franc3555 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 19:12
  4. Your favorite plane
    By franc3555 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 14:54
  5. Replies: 17