Ares Games

Thread: The Richthofen Squadron today

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dennis
    Sorties Flown

Default The Richthofen Squadron today

The tradition of the Name "Richthofen" does not die with the dead of the german flying ace or with the lost of WWI. Since the 60's there is again the "Richthofen Squadron (Richthofen Geschwader) in Germany, as a part of the "Deutsche Luftwaffe". The Homebase and Airfield of the Squadron is just a few kilometres from my hometown, so here I give you some facts of the Richthofen Squadron today:

Jagdgeschwader 71 "Richthofen"

The Squadron is part of the "Command Force (CF)" of the NATO. It is also part of the "Immediate Reaction Force (IRF)" which includes missions in crisis regions.

A short chronology:

06.06.1959 The Jagdgeschwader 71 is founded at Fliegerhorst Ahlhorn.
    01.06.1960 The Squadron is equiped CL-13B Sabre Mark V
    21.04.1961 On the 43. year-day of the dead of Rittmeister Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen, german president Heinrich Lübke gives the Squadron the traditional Name "Richthofen".
    April 1963 The Squadron moves to the Fliegerhorst Wittmund
    09.04.1963 The first two F-104G Starfighter of the Squadron lands in Wittmund
    07.03.1974 The first two F-4F Phantom des lands in Wittmund
    19.09.1974 Last flight of a F-104G Starfighter

Until today the Squadron is equipped with the F-4F Phantom.

That's interesting. I like the planes they have been assigned. Thanks for the info.

Thumbs up The Richthofen Squadron today

Dennis I found this bit of information and thought i would add it.

Rich

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagdgeschwader_71

Thumbs up

Hi Dennis,

I'm a proud owner of one of those patches and no I'm not parting with it! I traded it with a drunk Luftwaffe pilot. We traded unit patches and I think I got the better end of the deal. The funny part was when I spent time carefully cutting the stiches away so I wouldn't tear his flight suit and when he asked me for my I just ripped it off because it was on velcro. You should have seen his face.

Frank.
    Last edited by Volant Gun; 03-22-2010 at 22:26. Reason: spelling

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dennis
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Rich, didnt know that there is an entry about the Squadron in the american-wiki as well as in the german.

And dont worry Frank, I live just a few kilometers away from the Airbase Wittmund, I guess if I want, I could manage to get my own unit-patch

Smile The Richthofen Squadron today!

Dennis Your welcome, i was amazed they were still flying F-4`s even upgraded ones. The mention of Erich Hartman made me smile i read his book as a kid.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Volant Gun View Post
    ... I just ripped it off because it was on velcro...
    Why is that? I've always assumed it was to make it easy if you get transferred or now that I think about it, you can take the patches off when you wash it so they don't fade.

But I have no idea so these are guesses. Why are the patches on velcro?

US pilots were them on Velcro so if they are shot down behind enemy lines, they can remove and discard them... to give the enemy as little information about them selves as possible.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dennis
    Sorties Flown

In german ebay you will find a lot of inofficial patches released by or around the Richthofen Geschwader.

http://stores.shop.ebay.de/patchmafi...fsubZ303454819

Default Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    US pilots were them on Velcro so if they are shot down behind enemy lines, they can remove and discard them... to give the enemy as little information about them selves as possible.
    you take them off and put them in your locker before you leave the squadron building. The velcro backing is square so the shape of the patch can not be determined.

VG

Name
    Thomas
    Sorties Flown

Last Summer I made a trip to Wittmundhafen AB to take so pictures from the last F-4F in active duty. It´s quite amazing to the the rhinos in live action and I take some nice pictures those days including some F-18 Hornet from Swiss that were on base during an exercice.

@ Dennis
    Is there a change you can get a patch?

Greetz

Thomas

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dennis
    Sorties Flown

I tried last week but my contact seem to be reassigned to Heide in S-H. Will continue trying...

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 119
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 18:36
  2. 4th Squadron AFC in France
    By Iron Squid in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 06:24
  3. Squadron Organizations
    By Kodiak in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 17:50
  4. TRIVIA CONTEST #1: RICHTHOFEN