Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wings of War vs. Wings of Glory

Thank you guys, I would much rather spend my money on minis right now (oooh shiney) I've seen a couple balloon offerings from Noble Knight but ouch!! Keith, when you say the balloons are stationary I assume that means they are not affected by wind. Anyway, thank you for clarifying. I am an Advanced Squad Leader player and about ten years ago was consumed with acquiring the last 3 module needed to complete the collection. Took about a year and $600. So I am familiar with "the chase".

As far as balloons go, I might know a guy who has a few more than he can use of scratch built ones . . .

DANG SON!! Very nice collection there. I just happened to be over at the "Really Big Giants thread, I guess you do everything big eh? What are they built of if you don't mind. I had been thinking of carving/shaping/sanding one from a few pieces of pink foam glued together. Not sure how durable they would be, but think I'm good enough to make a reasonable model.

Thanks, I have a few threads on the Hobby Room section on making all kinds of things from balloons to Zeppelins, use the search function keywords "dracken" and "balloons". . . the balloons are carved from 2" blue foam, the process is documented on the build thread somewhere . . . I do have patterns etc if you want to give them a try.

As a rookie who is backing into this through WoW, i deeply appreciate this summary.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    So now we come to show the actual changes to the old rules:

Manouver Decks.
    When the cards for the early war Aircraft were first released the Fokker E.III & Morane were allocated the P Deck & the Halberstadt & DH-2 were allocated the G Deck. Those players who knew their history knew that the latter 2 were more manouverable & faster than the Fokker & there was much discussion on the Forum about this.
    Andrea one of the Games designers is most particular to try for historical accuracy & took this on board so when the new series 5 early war minis were released the Fokker & Morane were allocated a new T deck & the Halberstadt & DH-2 allocated the P deck which far better reflects their abilities.
    These are the only changes to all the Manouver Decks in existance!
    Thanks for this, I have played with the new decked models, but I note the Fokker EIII is as fast as the Halb or DH2 (I assume the difference in real speed was 87mph for the EIII and 93mph for the Halb and DH2 is not that great?), and the only difference in manoeuvre deck is the Eindecker has 2 gentle side-slips, while the others replace a side-slip with a wider side-slip. I haven't seen much difference in performance so far in this game!
    Last edited by Herkybird; 06-26-2016 at 04:57. Reason: Correction!

Another difference. I have a WoW A damage ddck with 70 cards in it. My WoG A deck has 35 cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Another difference. I have a WoW A damage ddck with 70 cards in it. My WoG A deck has 35 cards.
    I believe that 70 card deck comes from the 'Deluxe Set' - It's basically just a double 'A' deck even though the cards are numbered 1-70 rather than 1-35.

That is correct Brian.
    There are several ways of obtaining Double A decks if I recall.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hello All

waiting for my Famous Aces to arrive, then it's the new rules and accessories, then models, models, models. Will need some assistance with early/later eras of planes that can be grouped together for balance/history - or just a bloody good dog fight

Hi Iain,
    not a problem. Basicly, there are three ways:

• Check the historical sheets and match planes - they are plus minus the same.
    • Check the Point System from author himself and group them.
    • Read several AARs here and see what players play (this will take the most of time).

Ian,
    I made up this post to help me with collecting minis and understand which planes actually met each other during WWI.

General Overview of WWI Miniatures - Timeline and Theaters 2017

Once I started it, I added substitutions for planes not yet produced by Ares.

Hope you find this helpful.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Hello All

waiting for my Famous Aces to arrive, then it's the new rules and accessories, then models, models, models. Will need some assistance with early/later eras of planes that can be grouped together for balance/history - or just a bloody good dog fight
    For later war the latest releases will serve you well Iain - Fokker Dr.1, Albatros D,Va, Pfalz D.III/D.IIIa, SPAD XIII, RAF SE.5/5a, Sopwith Camel. Get 'em while they're hot ! Keep your eyes open for Fokker D.VII, Fokker E.V, Siemens Schuckert D.III, Sopwith Snipe from earlier releases.
    Try and get a couple of tandems too as they help with scenarios, RAF RE.8, Albatros C.III are good for that, there are many others though.
    Have a look here for info on the machines: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt

"He is wise who watches"

Hello All

Thanks for all your comments. Now have Wow Famous Aces and WoG Rules and Accessories. Happy as a pig in s**t. Minor comment for the unwary. Glad I got FA first as the R&A box doesn't contain any plane cards, but does have B,C,D damage decks. Working on the premise that one model of a plane is good but a wing of 3 is better, I stopped when my wish list got to 30. Just starting to look at rules and work through some manouvering with planes.

Iain, there are also some aeroplane cards made by various members here in the Files section, which you can download and print onto cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    For later war the latest releases will serve you well Iain - Fokker Dr.1, Albatros D,Va, Pfalz D.III/D.IIIa, SPAD XIII, RAF SE.5/5a, Sopwith Camel. Get 'em while they're hot ! Keep your eyes open for Fokker D.VII, Fokker E.V, Siemens Schuckert D.III, Sopwith Snipe from earlier releases.
    Try and get a couple of tandems too as they help with scenarios, RAF RE.8, Albatros C.III are good for that, there are many others though.
    Have a look here for info on the machines: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt
    Thanks Flash, got some ideas in the back of my mind for RE8/Albatros C111 scenarios

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Iain, there are also some aeroplane cards made by various members here in the Files section, which you can download and print onto cardboard.
    Thanks Naharaht

were some extra plane cards in the FA box. Think I'm not going to worry and go straight for bright, shiny models

I’m glad I stumbled onto this thread. I need to be familiar with WoG rules as all I have is WoW rules. The only WoG minis I have is the Gotha & the Handley-Page.

Awesome Thread, good info and pictures, a lot went into this thread back in 2012. Y’all should be commended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Svět deskových her - hraní Wings of Glory (Wings of War)
    By Ladinek in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 11:51
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53
  3. N. England & Scotland Wings of War and Wings of Glory
    By Lien Leposh in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 13:19
  4. Why Glory and no more Wings?
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 25