Ares Games

Thread: A question about Mission 7

Default A question about Mission 7

Just a quick question...

I am wondering what the original interpretation of the armoured cars' firing vs aircraft was. When it says "They can only target airborne targets at long range" does this mean:
    a. They only get one card regardless of the range, or
    b. They cannot fire at short range (only at long)

I like the interpretation of not being able to fire at short range. It makes sense to me since their guns are not intended for AA fire and wouldn't have the elevation necessary to fire at targets above them. However, that brings up a follow-on question... Are they restricted from firing if
    i. ANY PART of the target is at short range (the way short range would normally be determined), or
    ii. if ALL the target is at short range?

(Reading the AARs, it seems that many people ignored this restriction entirely. I'm just wondering what was intended by the author.)

The armoured cars can only fire at an airborne target at long range, that is at an airborne target that is not within the close range. The distance of target should be determined by the closest point of the target's base/card within line of sight. As you said, their guns were not made for high elevation, therefore airborne targets within short range may not be targeted.

Excellent. Thank-you. Glad I was going for the right interpretation.

You are welcome. Note that the armoured cars can only target ground targets at short range (due to rough terrain), however the damage dealt is still only one card, not two.

One more question: How should I treat special damage to the cars with regard to Chivalrous Attitude? Do smoke/fire effects still occur?

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    One more question: How should I treat special damage to the cars with regard to Chivalrous Attitude? Do smoke/fire effects still occur?
    Chivalrous aptitude still applies as normal, therefore no fire/smoke and you have to determine whether an explosion counts as per the rules for the ace skill.

Ok. One more... can the trench fire through the fog? (Some players did this and some didn't.) I was thinking that the same rule would apply as for the armoured cars; firing allowed vs aircraft on turn 4.

Oh, oh! One more!! What separation had you planned for the cars? Would it be problematic to have them both stacked on the same base?

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    Ok. One more... can the trench fire through the fog? (Some players did this and some didn't.) I was thinking that the same rule would apply as for the armoured cars; firing allowed vs aircraft on turn 4.
    The answer was given in the original mission thread: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post145853

The infantry unit covering the observer (brave guys who stand their ground to let him escape) is indeed unhindered by the fog in respect to the enemy airplanes. The trench fire does not cease when the observer jumps out of the building. The infantry unit still holds the position.

Remember, the trench fire can only be used once per full turn.
    Note that I made it so that the infantry unit only fires once per whole game turn (game turn=three movement phases), this is to compensate for the fact that they are effectively invincible.

Ok. Turns out I had the wrong interpretation on this one. This should be added to the Q&A section of the "All Missions" thread. (This is where I am getting all of my info, rather than hunting through the entire sub-forum.)

Similar Missions

1. To Rig or Not to Rig, that is the question!
    By Fabric Flyer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 16:11
  2. KotA Question for Mission 3c and in general Ground Targets
    By Niemandsland in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 04:33
  3. OK Got a question and i need help!!
    By sirosis o liver in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 05:12
  4. a question