Ares Games

Thread: 1/144 Desert Hurricane IIc by Arii

Threaded View

Default 1/144 Desert Hurricane IIc by Arii

These 4 planes are Hurricane IIc models from Arii. I have had them in their boxes for quite a while. Arii turn up on ebay occasionally. They were a relatively straight-forward build and I met no significant problems with them.

Having put them together and feeling a bit whimsical, I decided to add “pilots” to the planes. This entailed sticking a small blob of GW Green Stuff into the cockpit (as really there was no cockpit recess, the fuselage parts just joined directly together). When dry I painted the area around the “head” black to suggest a cockpit area and then painted the “head” with a face, flying helmet and goggles. Unfortunately you cannot really see the head through the canopy very well, although I suspect that it might otherwise appear a bit empty. I have included a photo without the canopies attached so that you can see my intrepid lads in all their miniature glory!

Major paint colours used are Humbrol 29 (Dark Earth), 65 (Aircraft Blue) and 93 (Desert Yellow).

The decals in the kits basically comprised 6 red/white/blue roundels and nothing else, not even a tail flash. All the decals were put aside for later WW1 use and the wing roundels, tail flashes and serial numbers were replaced by “1/144 Direct “ decals.
    The fuselage code numbers/roundels were ‘borrowed’ from yet unbuilt Hurricanes from Hurricane II aircraft from 1/144 Wing Kit Collection 9. These decals included:
    QO-T and QO-Z. I cut the R to make QO-R from another set of Hurricane decals in WKC9. I made the F for QO-F by cutting off part of the top of the ”T” from QO-T and repositioning it as an ”F”.

OCD?

The planes were given a peg of 222 Evergreen rod for basing on Litko bases.
    I hope you like these RAF desert workhorses!

Unfortunately the pictures have not loaded in an order I would have liked, but you can't have everything! Some more pix of these in My Profile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails desert hurri 6.jpg   hurricane 2_2.jpg   desert hurri 5.jpg   desert hurri 2.jpg   hurricane arii 5.jpg  

hurricane arii 4.jpg   hurricane arii 3.jpg   hurricane arii 2.jpg   hurricane arii 1.jpg   hurricane arii 6.jpg  

Last edited by Dark Horse; 08-28-2012 at 03:45. Reason: add photo

Similar Missions

1. Desert Dual
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 04:01
  2. Ju 52 (Zvezda 1/200) early war and desert camouflage
    By Marechallannes in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 12:50
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 05:53