Ares Games

Thread: Albatros W 4 water toys!

Default Albatros W 4 water toys!

I am not sure they will float in the tub, but they do look like they would fly!

First Mr Green looking quite dapper in his natural colors

Turned turtle, fun to paint all the weird colors

Side radiators make this one an early version, I think . . .

Yeah, I know its too shiny, dull coat will be purchased on the way home from the cardiologist's tomorrow

Then there are the twins. Found this color scheme on the net, very subtle and lovely

Nice bright and light little models that catch the eye, hopefully Hunter will have mercy on them, they are German : )

Mr Purple, not a camo that I would have chosen, but it seems to be popular if not effective

Together again, the whole gang gagles to gether

Ok, time to fly off into the sunset. Tomorrow the Fokker DII's get a new set of colors . . . Clipper at the beach

Thumbs up

Beautiful Boats Clipper.
    Are the lozenge ones done with decals?

Nope its my super secret lozenge from sticky label paper trick . . .

Another great set of planes.
    You continue to be an inspiration to us lesser mortals.
    Don

Seems almost pointless to award you any more rep, Clipper. You must have more than you know what to do with by now (as with all those wonderful planes?). But I can hardly refrain, can I, as long as you keep producing such fantastic little kites?

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Nope its my super secret lozenge from sticky label paper trick . . .
    Nice set of planes! Would you be willing to share your secret lozenge trick with the rest of us? Lloyd

How hard is it to work with Shapeways models? The surface texture seems so rough and I hear it is hard to get is smooth looking. Your models appear to have smooth textures. Lloyd

The surface presents a challenge, but there are easy processes to over come it. I started brushing acrylic gloss sealer, two to three coats, then light sanding and add the paint. I moved to spray on clear lacquer to seal them, but discovered the atomized spray paint simply clung to the rough surface and made it appear rougher. Next I tried auto sandable spray primers, they filled some, but also piled the surface and made it look rougher. I am back to three coats of water based gloss clear acrylic with light sanding between coats. This fills, evens, and looks great, making a nice surface to paint. Rule of thumb the finish you have before you put on the final color is the final finish you will get. You cannot depend on the color to even out the surface.

Once the colors are on I give the models a spray coat of high gloss clear lacquer, let it cure a few days then apply a matt finish in the same brand as the gloss so they do not react to each other and blush or bubble.

I still find the Shapeways models to be great models that can be quite effective in the game. I am glad to have the variety they bring to the game and I love the ability to customize and produce my own minis. In many ways they are different than the official minis, some good some bad, but so are the originals. Have fun, give them a try if you like modeling!

Clipper back to the bench . . .

For the first time, the pictures of float planes have hit a nerve with me..these models are sweet...I sence a slipery slope ahead... no, I just looked again at the pictures..I think it is too late already... (lovely job Clipper.)

Dave, thanks for the full description. Sounds like a bit of work, but certainly no worse than building a kit. Right now I can't justify a Shapeways buy, but I'm sure that will change and I'll certainly give your technique a try. Lloyd
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The surface presents a challenge, but there are easy processes to over come it. I started brushing acrylic gloss sealer, two to three coats, then light sanding and add the paint. I moved to spray on clear lacquer to seal them, but discovered the atomized spray paint simply clung to the rough surface and made it appear rougher. Next I tried auto sandable spray primers, they filled some, but also piled the surface and made it look rougher. I am back to three coats of water based gloss clear acrylic with light sanding between coats. This fills, evens, and looks great, making a nice surface to paint. Rule of thumb the finish you have before you put on the final color is the final finish you will get. You cannot depend on the color to even out the surface.

Once the colors are on I give the models a spray coat of high gloss clear lacquer, let it cure a few days then apply a matt finish in the same brand as the gloss so they do not react to each other and blush or bubble.

I still find the Shapeways models to be great models that can be quite effective in the game. I am glad to have the variety they bring to the game and I love the ability to customize and produce my own minis. In many ways they are different than the official minis, some good some bad, but so are the originals. Have fun, give them a try if you like modeling!

Clipper back to the bench . . .

Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-27-2016 at 12:03.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

PERFECTION as Usual David! Great work.

Similar Missions

1. WGF F-Toys SPAD 7s and Albatros D.IIIs
    By Mike W in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 16:42
  2. F-Toys Albatros's & Spads
    By Zoe Brain in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 01:44
  3. Mini's over water
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room