Ares Games

Thread: Sideslips

Default Sideslips

Not the extreme Sideslips (which are usually Steeps) but the generic ones.
    Do you use them? I find it very rare to use a Sideslip manouver.

I posted a similar thread in the WWII section.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...505#post165505

They are handy when used with other turns. I use them the most on head on passes to set a turn back into the enemy if not doing an immelmann. Other then that, they are useful for lining up bombing runs.

As our illustrious leader said, useful for getting some offset prior to a head to head pass and getting ahead of the game when turning in the opposite direction after the merge, lining up on ground targets, weaving behind a slower aircraft etc.

Ditto

I find them very usefull for getting my Spitfires shot down in WWII game ..I always seem to misjudge the damm things and end up millimetres into range, their magic qualities as a unique feature have yet to be discovered by me.

I didn't use them very much when I started playing - the amount of lateral movement seemed so small, and playing one often seemed worse in the long run (since it could affect your ability to perform a quick Immelmann, if needed).

Lately, though, I am using them more and more. They are quite useful if you just need that little bit of displacement to avoid an enemy arc of fire. This is most useful against ground targets since their arcs are very predictable, but can also be used to effect against enemy planes

Looking over my records of my moves in the last three games I have played in the OTT campaign (admittedly, against AI planes) I used side slips in:
    - 3 out of 16 turns,
    - 3 out of 7 turns, and
    - 3 out of 9 turns (one of which was a double side slip).

That should give you some idea of my frequency of use!

That was great Blauer Baron! Made me laugh!

I never used sideslips much until I started doing bombing missions. Now I use them against 2 seaters to try to get between firing arc. They can also be useful to move a direction, but not be quite in expected place since they move you as far as a straight but just a bit over. Good for avoiding AA.

I use them most when I attack from the side of a plane crossing my front, or is probably going to turn in front of me. It often allows you to get a second shot off before the enemy can totally clear your arc of fire.
    Rob.

All your cards are useful; you just have to have a situation for them.
    Karl

I use them a lot. We have a house rule for fire that forces you to do side slips to put fire out. You must do two in a row, draw an A damage card if it is a zero fire goes out, any other card you take damage and repeat. No shooting, your main problem is fire and getting it out.

Thumbs up

Interestingly I just used the ones in the P deck today for my DH-2 in an early war Series 5 game against Col's Halberstadt & Eindekker to great advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    I use them a lot. We have a house rule for fire that forces you to do side slips to put fire out. You must do two in a row, draw an A damage card if it is a zero fire goes out, any other card you take damage and repeat. No shooting, your main problem is fire and getting it out.
    Interesting rule: I remember reading from several pilot accounts of planes sideslipping to put out fires.
    Karl

Use them a lot for lineing bombers onto targets, not so much for combat (which I should).

Similar Missions

1. SideSlips
    By Aero825 in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 07:08