Ares Games

Thread: …..and now for something completely different.

Default …..and now for something completely different.

A couple of week’s back the guys in our league joked about using a wheel of fortune instead of cards. So I just had to make one. It worked fairly well. The only drawback is everyone sees the outcome. It could be made smaller with a screen. So if you really want to try something different this does work. But we’ll stick to cards, they work, so if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.

Looks really great... but you know, you are mad!

Great, but you should have included the Col's "Lucky Git". When I told the group about it they thought it hilarious. I daren't show them this.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Looks really great... but you know, you are mad!

....as a hatter.

Quote Originally Posted by LGKR View Post
    ....as a hatter.
    Welcome to the club.
    Rob.

Wonderful! You could stand it up, 45 degrees would hide it from your opponents.

Henry

p.s. I really like your mat. Commercial or homemade?

An excellent idea. I like your mat, too.

What is the white fringed object near the "wheel of damages"? Is it a cloud?

Attilio

Whoa!

A plastic cloud, I didn't notice that.

Henry

Like the wheel idea, but really loving the mat.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Yes the white object is a cloud, it's actually a photo print glued to white rubberfoam backing to keep it from sliding around.

The mat is a google image of the Belgium farmland printed on material. My friend who owns a local game store had some contacts with a printing company. We printed 3 of them on different types of material.

We all joked about the spinner in my league so I just had to make one. It actually worked really well. I was surprised.

A really great job!

How do you use cloud in the game?

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    A really great job!

How do you use cloud in the game?

Attilio
    • Cloud Banks are roughly 8.5 by 11 inches.
    • They may be placed touching or over lapping to make them larger.
    • Clouds completely obstruct line of sight through them.
    • Planes outside of a cloud may not shoot at targets inside of a cloud and vice versa.
    • Planes inside of a cloud may shoot at targets also with-in the cloud, only at short range.
    • Planes inside of a cloud may not tail another plane.
    • Overlaps that occur inside of a cloud automatically cause a Collision.

Thanks Don.

A nice detailed explation of the cloud usage.

Looking at the photo I observe airplanes at different altitude.

Do you establish a ceiling and a thickness for the cloud or simply the cloud cover all the potential elevations of the minis avoiding complexity in the game?

Thanks Don.

A nice detailed explation of the cloud usage.

Looking at the photo I observe airplanes at different altitude.

Do you establish a ceiling and a thickness for the cloud or simply the cloud cover all the potential elevations of the minis avoiding complexity in the game?

For league play we don't use altitude rules, too time consuming for our weekly time frame.

I suppose you put a marker on each cloud to designate it's elevation.

... or simply I'll consider common elevation and thickness (a scattered cloud bank).
    The simplest condition is a overcast weather but it's seems a little boring

A mark on the single cloud (if elevation is different) is a good idea, better than a base with pegs (beatiful but not very functional).
    A double mark: elevation and tickness could be a practical idea.

I'll propose my friends to make two wheel of fortune (one with explosion card and anoher without) and some clouds (applying the rules you described).

We'll have fun for sure!

... or simply I'll consider common elevation and thickness (a scattered cloud bank).
    The simplest condition is a overcast weather but it's seems a little boring

A mark on the single cloud (if elevation is different) is a good idea, better than a base with pegs (beatiful but not very functional).
    A double mark: elevation and tickness could be a practical idea.

I'll propose my friends to make two wheel of fortune (one with explosion card and anoher without) and some clouds (applying the rules you described).

We'll have fun for sure!
    If your interested in making a spinner below are some pictures to help you out with. The Damage Record was designed for our league play, as we use the rule that smoke and fire lasts the entire game.

I'm over the moon!

Thank you Don!!

Attilio

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

When trying the spinner before actual play we were spinning lots of "0"'s and "1"'s so I was pretty excited to use it. . .then Don shoots at me and I spin a "5". . .Then a "4". So I suppose it did work pretty close to the cards!
    That's what makes WOW so fun, waiting to see what Don has come up with every week.

Great job.
    Attila57 forgot to tell us that his friend (that i'm very proud to be) is working very hard and a lot of time because he is my chief engineer and let me doing all "dirty" jobs........so we have so very few hours to play togheter, sigh.

p.s. i try to print your images with my jet printer and show you the results

Quote Originally Posted by Kookaburra View Post
    Great job.
    Attila57 forgot to tell us that his friend (that i'm very proud to be) is working very hard and a lot of time because he is my chief engineer and let me doing all "dirty" jobs........so we have so very few hours to play togheter, sigh.

p.s. i try to print your images with my jet printer and show you the results
    Any friend of Attilia, is a friend of mine. feel free to shoot him down whenever you can.
    Rob.

Ops. The last dogfight Attila shooting down me cause my error

"The last dogfight Attila shooting down me cause my error"

??

I shot down Paolo cause my cleverness

Attilio

P.S.: Thanks Rob!
    Last edited by Attila57; 08-20-2010 at 11:22.

Quote Originally Posted by LGKR View Post
    Yes the white object is a cloud, it's actually a photo print glued to white rubberfoam backing to keep it from sliding around.
    Do you still have the cloud graphic? Oddly enough, I haven't found a suitably realistic cloud image to print out for WGF.

I'm glad you flagged this one up again Keegan.
    After all this time and using the Oberst's clouds with the altitude rings on, I had forgotten that some of the less wealthy pilots may want to make their own clouds.
    This is a very good example of achieving the results but keeping the cost down.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    Do you still have the cloud graphic? Oddly enough, I haven't found a suitably realistic cloud image to print out for WGF.
    Keegan,

I am sorry to say that LGKR passed away not to long ago I can't recall if he ever uploaded these graphics to the Files section or not.

In memory of LGKR I took at shot at making a cloud template.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cloud1.jpg  
    Last edited by diceslinger; 12-11-2012 at 09:28.

I'm sure he would approve Shawn. You have made a very fine job of it.
    Materials?
    Rob.

Thanks Rob.
    I figure one can print this out, it should be about 7" wide, then glue it to foamcore, matte board, card stock, your choice. Cut the shape out and you have a cloud marker.

I'm willing to do a few at different sizes if there is interest and we can agree on a few sizes.

The only thing missing that would really dress this up is Vanna White. Now if she were spinning the wheel I think you might get a bunch more gamers playing your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydthegamer View Post
    The only thing missing that would really dress this up is Vanna White. Now if she were spinning the wheel I think you might get a bunch more gamers playing your game.
    I just Googled her to see who she was. Then I Googled her again. I see exactly what you mean Lloyd.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I just Googled her to see who she was. Then I Googled her again. I see exactly what you mean Lloyd.
    Rob.
    I just Googled her to see who she was. Then I Ogled her again.

There....fixed that for you Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    I just Googled her to see who she was. Then I Ogled her again.

There....fixed that for you Rob.
    I never expected it to be you Shawn!
    Rob.

She is pretty easy on the eyes, isn't she?
    Rob.

I just Googled her to see who she was. Then I Googled her again. I see exactly what you mean Lloyd.;)
    Rob.
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/weird...annawhite.html >;)

I never expected it to be you Shawn!
    Rob.
    Oh I'm a man of many facets. At least two or three....

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    Oh I'm a man of many facets. At least two or three....
    Would not that make you a bit of a rough diamond?
    Rob.

Hey there!
    In honor of LGKR, and the cloud template shown in this thread, I've created my own template to share with the community (as LGKR's was never uploaded before his passing). I hope you all find it to be a useful accessory in your games at home.
    This is for you LGKR!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cloud6.jpg  

Similar Missions

1. And Now for Something Completely Different
    By evilsam in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 06:59