Ares Games

Thread: Building a Skytrex BE2c.

Default Building a Skytrex BE2c.

• In deference to several requests about building an easy aircraft for beginners, I give you the BE2c.
      It will also fill a niche in the upcoming series 5 release. This is yet another offering from Skytrex.

1. Fettle the casting and if required make an extension to the rudder. I found on all pictures that I came across that it was longer than on the model casting. I just filed a bit of the sprue that the parts came on, until it looked the part.
      2. No bottom wing to worry about as it comes ready fitted on this casting.
      3. Glue in the wing struts to the lower main plane in pairs checking for vertical laterally but with a slight forward rake. The struts are angled to help this so don’t put them in backwards. Use the holes in the top wing pushed on dry to help with the spacing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0028.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	57370

4. Glue on the top wing.

Name:	DSCF0025.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	57369

5. Add the cabine struts using tweezers to position them between the wings and glue.
      6. Turn the plane over and glue on the undercart and tail skid. I changed the supplied braces for bent paperclips to give more strength, and get rid of the skids supplied.
      7. Position the prop and crew in place but do not glue yet.

Name:	DSCF0029.jpg 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	57371

8. Spray undercoat to suit.
      9. Remove crew and prop to aid painting.
      10. Glue on crew and prop.
      11. Add decals.

Name:	DSCF0038.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	57372

12. Varnish to taste.

Name:	DSCF0039.jpg 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	57373

N.B. I printed my own Reg no for the tail plane. The rest are Dom’s Decals and the black line is from an old strip of decal paper. The rear pointing Lewis is scratch built, but you don’t have to bother with this especially if you can get one of the ones from Shapeways.
      Rob.

Superb build,a tip of the hat

That aircraft looks awesome.
    Well done Rob

Nice build and paint Rob. I tried twice to make one both ending in the scrap heap, 3rd time I paid some one else to make and paint it for me!

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I`ve just got one of these in the post and noticed something.
    Did you modify the tail and add the fin or did it come like that Rob, mine came with a rudder only.
    This is actually fine by me as the result is a pretty good representation of a B.E.2a or b rather than the `c` Skytrex claims the model to be.
    I actually planned to kitbash this into an early model B.E.2 so it looks like the work is going to be easier than I figured.

Hi Rob,

I have a Skytrex B.E.2 waiting in the wings, this will prove most useful.

Thanks,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    I`ve just got one of these in the post and noticed something.
    Did you modify the tail and add the fin or did it come like that Rob, mine came with a rudder only.
    This is actually fine by me as the result is a pretty good representation of a B.E.2a or b rather than the `c` Skytrex claims the model to be.
    I actually planned to kitbash this into an early model B.E.2 so it looks like the work is going to be easier than I figured.
    Good point Robert.
    Some of these early Skytrex products seem to be "One size fits all". With a bit of mind bending you can make no end of variations if you'r not too fussy. As I said in the notes on the build, I just took a bit of the lead spru and filed it up to alter the shape of the tail. If I recall this particular model I think it also came with the skids option which I did not apply. Hope that helps.
    Rob.

Very nice job. So many talanted people in this room.

Similar Missions

1. Building the RAF Be2c Cardmodel
    By Zakopious in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 12:14
  2. Converting the Skytrex "BE2C" to a late BE2C...
    By Wombat in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 13:08
  3. Building a BE2c.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 14:20