Ares Games

Thread: WGS Burma/Malaya - 1/200 AIM Nakajima Ki-27b 'Nate', JAAF

Default WGS Burma/Malaya - 1/200 AIM Nakajima Ki-27b 'Nate', JAAF

My first WGS project for 2013 is a flight of three Nakajima Ki-27b 'Nate' fighters of the 3rd Chutai, 4th Sentai Japanese Army Air Force (JAAF). The Ki-27 was an extremely manouverable aircraft that entered service with the JAAF in 1937, ruling the skies over China until confronted with the more powerful later model Soviet Polikarpov I-16's in 1939. The Ki-27 was still in front line service at the start of the Pacific War in December 1941, seeing combat in Burma, Malaya, Dutch East Indies and the Phillippines. Flown by experienced combat pilots, the Ki-27 codenamed 'Nate' by the Allies, was initially an effective fighter but soon found itself outclassed by more advanced Allied aircraft. By early 1942 the 'Nate' was withdrawn from the front for training units and defence of the Japanese home islands. Like many older types the Ki-27 was also later used by 'kamikaze' units.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki27 2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	70151

These Ki-27b's have unit applied brown/green camouflage over the standard grey factory finish, the result of attacks on their airfields by Allied aircraft, something that was not regularly encountered in the early years of the China campaign. The decals were supplied by AIM, except the home made yellow and white fuselage stripes representing the Chutai commander's aircraft.

Name:	Ki27 1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	70150

The Nakajima Ki-27b 'Nate' was a manouverable aircraft with a top speed of 470kmh ('J' deck), ceiling of 12,250m (top altitude 13), and a fantastic climb rate of 15 m/s (climb 3). It was armed with two synchronised 7.7mm machine guns (firepower short/long A/A). It was a lightly built aircraft with no pilot armour or self sealing tanks, similar to the first generation of I-16's (damage 14).

Name:	Ki27 4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	70148

Name:	Ki27 3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	70149

Back to work on the next project - a flight of Nakajima Ki-43 'Oscars' - sneak peak below:

Name:	Oscars under construction.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	70152

CB,
    Nice work as always; the Sentai tail marking is very effective. I'm doing up some 1/144 Nates at the moment for SE Asia and debating on the decor. I assume the 4th Sentai was operating in China?
    BofB

Thanks Baldrick,

Yes, the 4th Sentai was formed in 1938 and fought in China and Burma until 1942. The unit tail marking was inspired by their airbase of origin at Tachiarai which means 'washing a sword in a stream' and was symbolised by a sword handguard positioned over a stylised stream.

The 4th Sentai was later withdrawn to the Japanese Home Islands and re-equipped with the Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu heavy fighter ('Nick') for anti-bomber operations. The decals came with the miniatures from AIM. I was going to create some of my own for another unit serving in Malaya, but these looked so darn good I just had to use them.

If you like these I have decided sleep is for the weak and am going hammer and tongs on three Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusas, they are looking really good.

Name:	Oscars under construction 2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	70162

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    If you like these I have decided sleep is for the weak and am going hammer and tongs on three Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusas, they are looking really good.
    Mate, you deserve an OSCAR!

Right, I'll get me coat then.

Raise your glasses chaps! A new Clipper is born! What a Christmas, what a Christmas! and rock&roll

GREAT PLANES!
    Last edited by Nightbomber; 01-03-2013 at 10:50.

Again some good looking planes. Clippers elves must have multiplied and migrated...

Nice work Carl

Those are good looking planes. Well done on your productivity!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Raise your glasses chaps! A new Clipper is born! What a Christmas, what a Christmas! and rock&roll

GREAT PLANES!
    Thanks Andrzej, but I think Clipper is in a league of his own. With Cancon only three weeks away I have set myself a goal of six Japanese bombers and eight more Australian fighters to finish over the next week.

I have just started four weeks leave from my job as a police officer, so with no drug dealers, burglars, car thieves or other criminals to chase down I have to make the most of it!

Lucky you on the leave! It's interesting Carl, what a number of Police officers are forum members. I personally know 2 others

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Nakajima B5N2 Kate thread
    By pflanzer in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 07-20-2023, 08:04
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2020, 12:32
  3. WGS Malaya - 1/200 AIM Brewster Buffalo Mk.I's 488 Sqn RNZAF
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 21:08
  4. Replies: 5