Ares Games

Thread: A repaint question

Default A repaint question

Hi chaps , what my question is about is I want to start a small collection of Jasta 11 Fokker Dr.I' s to fly with my MvR plane , I've preordered two LvR so that I can do a repaint on one of them , but what I want to know is what shade of green paint I can use for this , I've seen several chaps on this forum who've repainted their original Nexus Fokker Dr.I's so if anyone could help/ advise me on what correct shade of green paint I could use I'd be greatfull.

Hi Mark.
    What I did was mix up a Catchen Green with a spot of Shadow Grey and Graveyard Earth, by trial and error until it matched the existing wing colour of the model. Don't forget that it may dry a slightly different shade, so let each trial dry before you commit to the whole aircraft.
    Rob.

And keep in mind that the new minis might be slightly different in color from the older ones.

Cheers for the advice Rob , and I'll do a test on a piece of scrap paper first to get as near as I can to the green on the fuselage as I can.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

The original plane had olive streaks of paint applied by brush over the linen fabric so it's not a solid colour. I recommend that you get a copy of the Osprey Fokker Dr1 Aces book, if you don't already have it, as it shows the colour schemes well.

Herr Oberst has some nice points on how to paint a streaked finish here

Just took a look at that tutorial, very nice. Makes me want an airbrush.
    Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    Herr Oberst has some nice points on how to paint a streaked finish here

Just had a look on how Keith has done his custom Fokker Dr.I' s for Jasta 11 , in my collection of paints I think I've got Russian green and Dark yellow so once more chaps thankyou for all of your helpfull advice on this matter.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

The streaking should be the other way around: dark over light. The base colour is the linen fabric and the streaking is the darker olive green/brown. Scroll down through about eight WW2 warbirds in this link below to see an example to copy on a replica DR1:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=117134

Yes, the historic way is dark over light. However, I've found it much easier to do it the other way around at this scale. It's a lot easier to put the darker green down as a base coat and slowly build the streaks up with lighter paint. If you put dark streaks on light paint and mess up, you pretty much have to repaint the whole area and start again. If you don't, you will end up with light streaks trying to cover the too dark streaks and it will show.

The end result should just be a streaky paint job. I've looked at hundreds of photos of real DR.Is during the war, and not a one of them really looks the same.

Similar Missions

1. My 3rd repaint. The Red.
    By Nightbomber in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 00:59
  2. 1st Repaint
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 02:46
  3. My first repaint
    By somaliavet in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 21