Ares Games

Thread: What should I take with me to ORIGINS?

Default What should I take with me to ORIGINS?

G'day chaps. My Finest Hour is coming. The trip of my life will commence in 72 hours. I am trying to convince myself I am not dreaming, for my wildest dream of seeing America and meet the friends there is going to come true. It is all thanks to YOU.
    There are not so many things I can offer each of you dear Friends, but I'd love to assure you of my support and gratitude.

Now, when packing has started, I would like to ask you, the "LENDERS" and you, possible "LEASEES": What should I bring to America with me?
    Any thoughts?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

I vote for good Polish vodka, but, alas, I shan't be there to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffern View Post
    I vote for good Polish vodka, but, alas, I shan't be there to enjoy it.
    This item is already packed

Cordial greetings from Central Europe and show the Ohio boys how the pilots from Oberschlesien master their Fokkers.

Apart from the spirits? A Polish flag.

For me meeting someone I met here is the best you can bring. So I guess that YOU my friend.

Don't forget something for headaches...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

A camera to take pics for the after report. Maybe something with caffeine but we have stuff here in the states for that.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    G'day chaps. My Finest Hour is coming. The trip of my life will commence in 72 hours. I am trying to convince myself I am not dreaming, for my wildest dream of seeing America and meet the friends there is going to come true. It is all thanks to YOU.
    There are not so many things I can offer each of you dear Friends, but I'd love to assure you of my support and gratitude.

Now, when packing has started, I would like to ask you, the "LENDERS" and you, possible "LEASEES": What should I bring to America with me?
    Any thoughts?
    Lots of $'s Andrezj

Does the Polish Aviation Museum have a gift shop? I raided the RAF Museum shop before I went. And a camera, obviously

Lots of T shirts that say "My mate went to Warsaw and all I got was this t-shirt" ?

US customs are funny about food so don't try taking any of that Polonia sausage or anything.

An empty glass; don't worry, we'll keep it filled
    Karl

ON a more serious note; an empty reusable drinking bottle, like you'd use while running. It will help keep you hydrated while gaming
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    ON a more serious note; an empty reusable drinking bottle, like you'd use while running. It will help keep you hydrated while gaming
    Karl
    Or one of these:

I will take all your suggestions to heart, dear chaps!

Advice for the Gaming-Con Attendee: The "5-2-1 Rule".

For every 24 hours of convention, you *will* get:

FIVE [5] HOURS OF SLEEP. In a bed. With a pillow. And sheets (number varies with temperature). No sofas; no chairs; no floors; no counter tops; no balconies; no closets; and for the love of all things decent, *NO* *SMEGGING* *BATHTUBS*!

TWO [2] ACTUAL MEALS. These will consist of food eaten with silverware off a plate or from a bowl -- if it comes from a vending machine, or a bag, it is Not Food. Liquid will be had with this food, preferably something which does not dehydrate the consumer; save the booze for *after* the gaming.

ONE [1] SHOWER OR BATH. Using hot water. And soap -- *lots* of soap. Shampoo, as well. Afterward, one will dry oneself with a proper towel -- dirty clothes will *NOT* suffice. Then one will apply deodorant/antiperspirant, preferably unscented (smelling like an open-pit sewer is bad; smelling like a potpourri factory is *not* an improvement). Then one will put on clean clothes -- clothes which have been through a washer (with soap) and dryer at least once between wearings.

NOTE: THESE ARE *MINIMUM* STANDARDS. If one is of a build and constitution such that one tends to perspire freely, a second, or even third, shower/bath cycle may be in order. If one is diabetic, or otherwise requires food at regular intervals, more than two feedings may be performed. If the Zombie Squad folks see one and start sharpening their machetes, YOU NEED MORE THAN FIVE HOURS OF SLEEP.

This may sound obvious, but I have attended *far* too many conventions where people have needed to be *told* this....

"LATHER, RINSE, REPENT!" :)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Advice for the Gaming-Con Attendee: The "5-2-1 Rule".

For every 24 hours of convention, you *will* get:

FIVE [5] HOURS OF SLEEP. In a bed. With a pillow. And sheets (number varies with temperature). No sofas; no chairs; no floors; no counter tops; no balconies; no closets; and for the love of all things decent, *NO* *SMEGGING* *BATHTUBS*!

TWO [2] ACTUAL MEALS. These will consist of food eaten with silverware off a plate or from a bowl -- if it comes from a vending machine, or a bag, it is Not Food. Liquid will be had with this food, preferably something which does not dehydrate the consumer; save the booze for *after* the gaming.

ONE [1] SHOWER OR BATH. Using hot water. And soap -- *lots* of soap. Shampoo, as well. Afterward, one will dry oneself with a proper towel -- dirty clothes will *NOT* suffice. Then one will apply deodorant/antiperspirant, preferably unscented (smelling like an open-pit sewer is bad; smelling like a potpourri factory is *not* an improvement). Then one will put on clean clothes -- clothes which have been through a washer (with soap) and dryer at least once between wearings.

NOTE: THESE ARE *MINIMUM* STANDARDS. If one is of a build and constitution such that one tends to perspire freely, a second, or even third, shower/bath cycle may be in order. If one is diabetic, or otherwise requires food at regular intervals, more than two feedings may be performed. If the Zombie Squad folks see one and start sharpening their machetes, YOU NEED MORE THAN FIVE HOURS OF SLEEP.

This may sound obvious, but I have attended *far* too many conventions where people have needed to be *told* this....

"LATHER, RINSE, REPENT!"
    I can attest that "Gamer Pong" is not a good environment for actual gaming. There have been times that a hazmat team should have been called on the offending bodies.
    And many of us are no longer young enough for the all-nighters, either.
    Karl

Clothes and stuff that you could leave here if you want more room to bring other stuff home.

Clean socks and shreddies (undies).
    Your 'Drome T shirt/Polo Shirt.
    Your Waspen.
    Yourself (and me in the suitcase if you can manage it).

Have a great time.

Neil

I hope to be there by 1400 on Thursday but you never know how long it will take. I am giving myself about a 7 hour drive and plan on leaving by 0700 that morning. Since SWMBO will be with me that is the variable. But looking to meet you all that afternoon at the Convention hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Clean socks and shreddies (undies).
    Your 'Drome T shirt/Polo Shirt.
    Your Waspen.
    Yourself (and me in the suitcase if you can manage it).

Have a great time.

Neil
    All the little planes are ready. T-shirts packed as well.

Have a great time Andy.

An empty suitcase for all the goodies you are going to return home with.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    An empty suitcase for all the goodies you are going to return home with.
    Good idea, John. I'll tell my wife not to pack too many clothes of mine into the suitcase (like she usually does!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I can attest that "Gamer Pong" is not a good environment for actual gaming. There have been times that a hazmat team should have been called on the offending bodies.
    Oh my dear god....

Phrases you do *NOT* want to hear while wandering the game floor:

[spoken by the "Jabba-the-Gamer archetype:] "I dunno why you'd need a bathroom here -- I haven't taken a s*** in three days."

0o

o0

"Overpowered By Funk" should only ever be the title of a song by The Clash -- it should *NOT* be the title of a con report....

So going to met the wife and is the daughter coming also? Wellk just 3 days now.

Where are you staying when at the Convention? I am at the Hilton across the street for the convention center.

Similar Missions

1. One Man's Origins - Day 4
    By Guntruck in forum Past Origins Game Fairs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 16:21
  2. One Man's Origins - Day 5
    By Guntruck in forum Past Origins Game Fairs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 01:48
  3. Site: Off to Origins
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 06:03
  4. WGF & WGS: For anyone going to Origins!
    By richard m schwab in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 08:35
  5. Origins and Gen Con
    By RBREE in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 00:50