Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AI Charts.

If you research a little in the Over the Trenches sub-forum you'll see that the main point of this campaign is to Have FUN!! The pleasure of the game is in having fun playing alone. Beating the AI system is easy and very soon will get boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    If you research a little in the Over the Trenches sub-forum you'll see that the main point of this campaign is to Have FUN!! The pleasure of the game is in having fun playing alone. Beating the AI system is easy and very soon will get boring.
    Fun? That's just crazy talk!

Jon, it may shock you, and the other campaigners come to that, that as yet I have never used the 'new' AI rules. I've found the basic set works fine so long as I apply common sense & a 'predictive' move. By that I mean if it looks like the target will be in the next zone on playing his first card then the AI rolls on that zones selection. The best, though probably extreme, example for this is if the opposing aircraft are running head to head swapping spit and finish very close then logically the AIs target will, on the next move, in all probability be in his six/seven not his twelve/one so that is what I would roll on. Obviously the closer the target the more the predictive move is applied as the zone is smaller but it does mean the AI react better/faster when the flying gets tighter & produces more action. The idea behind using this mechanic is that the AI will fly to where the target is going to be (roughly) rather than than to where it just was and it helps lessen the flying off into the blue moments that can crop up.
    It's another option you may like to try - glad you liked mission 6 by the way, look forward to the AAR !!
    Last edited by flash; 09-02-2012 at 04:30.

I've gotten used to the new AI now and am better able to predict it... even though I no longer look at the charts before plotting my own moves.

I did find, in my multiple runs at Mission 6, that the Tyneside 'Advanced' AI was somewhat more effective at AI vs AI combat than the OTT Advanced AI. Because it uses distance and enemy facing as part of the move determination mechanic, it already does a somewhat better job of predicting where an opponent is going to be.

I'm very interested to try Dave's "one card ahead" mechanic for determining AI arcs. I imagine that would achieve a lot of the same predictive effect as the Tyneside advanced AI without the additional complexity. (Tyneside advanced essentially has 8 tables for each clock facing rather than the basic's 1 table for each two clock facings.)

Hmmm. Yet MORE options!!

Sorry Jon !
    I find it is a quick & easy system to use, gives the AI a better response as they close in and all without further 'chart-age' - the main issues I have had are that some of the charted responses are a little odd to start with so if I changed anything it may be them

To each one his own shoes, my grandfather always said. What works with someone should not be changed, so there are three AI Chart options and each one should choose the one it suits them better. I find the AI that I developed more intuitive and balanced, but that is just my opinion. I still think that it can be even more fine tuned and as I play it, I make my little changes. Given that, one could really play solo even without any charts. I'm not at all surprised that Dave chose to play the original ones. i started with those too and loved it a lot.

It's just that...

My old boots were made for walking new treks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12