Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Morane Saulnier painting thread

Default Official Morane Saulnier painting thread

These are repaints of a pair of Ares Morane Saulnier Type N into British markings - Red: 60 Sqn; Black: 1 Sqn RFC
    Well, I couldn't let the French have all the fun could I !!
    Overall repainted with GW Bleached Bone, remarked with Doms Decals & Satin coted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brit Bullets 7.JPG 
Views:	554 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	57154

Name:	Brit Bullets 6.JPG 
Views:	551 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	57155

Name:	Brit Bullets 4.JPG 
Views:	550 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	57156

Name:	Brit Bullets 3.JPG 
Views:	556 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	57157

Name:	Brit Bullets 1.JPG 
Views:	551 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	57158

Only had them a day !

Bloody 'ell
    We ain't even seen them yet and you're doing repaints.
    Soooooooooooo jealous.
    Lovely paint job well done.
    Linz

Pfalz - a licence-built Morane - does that count?

Pfalz E.II, a licence-built Morane too:

Name:	pfalz E II.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	59449

Name:	pfa E II.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	59450
    1/144 SRAM resin kit

Fantastic planes, all of them! Bravo!

My Moraines N type & L Type

now I see where to touch up

Like your rigging Barry. I have been toying with that idea myself after doing my Fokker, but can't make my mind up.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Like your rigging Barry. I have been toying with that idea myself after doing my Fokker, but can't make my mind up.
    Rob.
    Go on Rob, be a devil. Rigging maketh the wing warpers!

Yes Barry. But where does it all end. You rig one and pretty soon you've got to rig em all.
    Then you look at all your other planes and eventually you go for all the wrong reasons.
    Rob.

60 Squadron RFC, Summer 1916. WoG repaints.

Once again very professional work Kev.
    This is a unit that I intend to do once I get the time.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

They look great Kev.

Cheers mate. There's something so awkward and wrong with the look of Type N's it just makes them all the more appealing.

Here are my first two from 60 squadron Smith-Barry and Wainwright June '16.

Name:	DSC_2966.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	70086

Name:	DSC_2964.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	70085

Name:	DSC_2968.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	70088

Rob.
    Last edited by flash; 01-27-2013 at 03:02.

Nice Moranes and Pfalzes.
    For my self I like the Pfalz-planes best, so I´ve done two Eindeckers.

Pfalz Parasol P.43 (later designated A.I 15/xx) from FA 9b and Pfalz E.II:

Matthias

Not realy repaints, just over decalled (Doms Decals)

Name:	MS N 3 Sqdrn.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	123590
    60 squadron.
    I saw a picture somewhere of the one with the french and british roundel, but I cannot remember where!
    Last edited by johnbiggles; 04-15-2014 at 05:34.

Another Pfalz:

Pfalz E.IV - by ICM 1:72 - not WoG compatible

Black stripes are self made decals. Wire bracing - 0,2 mm modelling-wire.

Quote Originally Posted by 144sram View Post
    Pfalz E.II, a licence-built Morane too: 1/144 SRAM resin kit
    Fantastic!
    Last edited by flash; 04-18-2014 at 08:47.

Default 60 Sqn RFC Morane-Saulnier N (aka my first repaint!)

When I first got interested in WoW, almost three years ago now, I initially thought it would be fun to collect some planes from the more unusual theatres of WWI, namely the Eastern Front and the Near East/Palestine. Having returned to the game after a break where following a house move my (up to then still unflown) planes had been sitting in storage, I reevaluated this idea and chose the saner approach to stick to the Western Front where planes and opponents were more readily available.

But what to do about some of the planes I'd bought with this initial aim in mind? In my rag-tag collection were a couple of Morane-Saulnier N in French colours, and a couple of Fokker E.III Eindeckers; Immelmann's in German markings (obviously!) and Buddecke's in Ottoman Empire markings, which was perfect for the Near East concept.

Aha, but the RFC flew a few Morane-Saulnier Ns didn't they, calling them Bullets... The plan sort of wrote itself! I'd bought some of Dom's RFC decals around the same time too, which would serve nicely.

First decision - what squadron and colours to choose? I had one red- and one black-nosed plane, so at least one would need to change! Black goes over red much more easily - but my concern was that would result in a rather 'heavy' front, whereas a red cowling would give a nice contrast with the blacks and greys of the wheels, gun, engine, etc. But red over black? Dammit, I'm making it harder for myself before I even start!

I can't just stick the RFC decals over the French markings either, as one of the planes (Gilbert) has a name down the side of the fuselage instead of a roundel. OK, so that's going to need covering up before the RFC roundel goes on.

This 'quick and easy' job was looking more complicated each time I looked at it...

So, I did all three planes as a single job, turning both French MS-Ns into 60 Sqn RFC planes, and Buddecke's Ottoman-marked E.III into a rather nondescript German-marked one that could fly with the Immelmann plane. The post regarding the E.III repaint is here.

First step, once I'd assembled the paints and other stuff I needed was to get the decals off. On went the MicroSet, and I waited. And waited. And waited. They weren't showing even the slightest hint of shifting so I can only presume the decals on the Ares planes are well varnished down. Next option - very carefully get them off with a scalpel. I used MicroSet again when only tiny bits of decal remained in the hopes it would get underneath, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Oh well - eventually I got it all off.

To my pleasant surprise, the red paint covered the black cowling far better than I had expected. Three or four thin coats of Vallejo red (or flat red, I can't remember now!) did the job nicely.

With the decals off it was even more apparent that the fuselage colour of the Moranes wings and fuselage didn't match. The wings are molded in a CDL sort of colour, but the fuselages were painted and didn't quite match. I mixed up a match that was closer to the fuselage colour and painted the wings so the CDL colour all over the plane was a better match.

One of the sources I'd found for the markings of 60 Squadron showed something interesting for 2/Lt. Wainwright's plane as having blue-coloured elevators, which was a perfect way to distinguish the two otherwise identical planes. Admittedly I'm not too convinced by the accuracy of this from this source alone, as it states "...was the dark color of the horizontal stabilizer. It was either dark doped canvas or it should had been (sic) painted by blue color." It's highly likely this was sourced from a black and white photo where the elevator is clearly darker but it's impossible to be sure of the actual colour. In the absence of certainty, I went with the blue for aesthetic reasons. (I intended to put the blue elevators on the plane that previously black-nosed plane that I'd painted red; however I grabbed the wrong one when I did the tail. Oh well.) I experimented with adding the oil stain to the side of Wainwright's plane (shown in the same source) but ultimately decided against it. At this scale I just couldn't make it look convincing, and it kept looking like I'd botched up the paint job rather deliberately added signs of wear and tear!

Then came the bit that I'd been dreading - the red, white and blue tail flash. I'd removed the French tricolour tail decals from one Morane (to repaint totally) and left the other on (to paint over). I'm not sure that there's much of a difference in the result. Both needed a bit of tidying, and while I'd like to have achieved a neater result, it's good enough.

The areas for the decals got a couple of coats of gloss varnish, then on went the decals. I'd cut the decals very tight to the designs so there wasn't going to be much carrier film spare around them. I used MicroSet again in applying the decals, although I'm not sure I noticed any difference in how they went on to how I expected it to go!

It was at this point that I noticed that somehow I'd failed to paint the upper cabane struts of the previously black-nosed plane red! Dammit! So, being extremely careful of the decals, I now went back with the red paint to fix this.

Once dry I put MicroSol on one of the decals but frankly still saw no effect. The decals seemed to have bedded in just fine as it was so I didn't bother doing the rest and just added another coat of gloss over the decals to seal them.

In hindsight I rather wish that I'd painted both cowlings red rather than leaving one in its natural red plastic, as it looks a bit plastic-y. But I'm not going back to change that now!

I didn't attempt to add the aircraft ID numbers to the tails. They're gaming pieces rather than intended to be museum-grade models, so I'm just fine with this omission. Similarly I didn't even consider doing the rigging!

So, at last... the result of my first repaint:

Name:	20D_0006656 ab red.png 
Views:	331 
Size:	390.1 KB 
ID:	163374

Name:	20D_0006655 ab red.png 
Views:	339 
Size:	697.5 KB 
ID:	163375

The difference in appearance of the 'original plastic' and repainted noses is clear here.

Name:	20D_0006657 ab red.png 
Views:	342 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	163373

And with their custom aircraft cards...

Name:	RED 2.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	163387

Name:	20D_0006662 ab red.png 
Views:	333 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	163371

Name:	20D_0006661 ab red.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	163372

The three repaints of this project, plus the 'out-of-the-box' Immelmann.

Name:	20D_0006671 ab red.png 
Views:	333 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	163378

One of the sources I used for the 60 Sqn colour scheme decision, originally from this website

Name:	9_2 reduced.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	163379
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 04-26-2015 at 08:23. Reason: Typo

Very splendid they are too.
    Here are my 60 Squadron machines with some French friends.

And just vanishing into the cloud base.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Very nice chaps. Clearly I need to get mine finished....

If I ever get finished with 1918, this will serve as a great guide to repainting my own spare bullets - thanks, all!

So, as I gradually add to my modest collection of 60 Squadron aircraft, here’s a couple from the first days of their formation, the Morane-Saulnier BB and the Morane-Saulnier LA (from Shapeways, jbmacek and colinwe respectively).

If I was to say they were problem-free paintjobs I would be lying. Before starting these I’d experimented with a new sealant for Shapeways models (a slate/tile sealant) that would work better (i.e. be thinner) than gloss varnish. The test pieces seemed to work just fine, but when I started putting paint on these it was apparent that the sealant wasn’t sealing at all as the paint was just flooding into the models’ porous skin! Much cursing followed, and I ended up using varnish as a sealant over the part-painted models before I was able to continue! Tip of the day – don’t bother trying tile sealant.

Both aircraft were two-seaters – the LA tended to have a forward or rear mounted gun but seldom (if ever) both, presumably because of inadequate power and lift. It seems most often to have been used for spotting and for agent insertion. Technically the Shapeways model is actually a Morane-Saulnier P, but the differences at 1/144 scale are really nothing that I’m going to worry about! While the LA is strictly a development from the L, the P is an excellent substitute since the LA has the rounded fuselage of the P rather than the box-shaped cross-section of the L (the stats of the type L are close enough, so I’m going to use those).

Quite straightforward colour schemes and markings as was the norm at that part of the war; mainly CDL overall with the noses of the biplanes a shade darker although this is barely noticeable in the photos. The red spinner happily makes distinguishing the two BBs easy. Decals were a combination of Dom’s, mehusla’s and my own.

Strictly the biplanes should have a very thin red stripe down the upper part of the fuselage on each side; on the real plane there is a raised ‘shoulder’ aft of the rear crew position and the red stripe was positioned at the join of this raised shoulder and the fuselage. The model of the BB doesn’t have this shoulder unfortunately, and trying to add the red line just didn’t look right without the contour for it to follow.

I ended up having to omit pilot figures as the amount of room to get a pilot figure (or more accurately, half a pilot) into the cockpit seemed so fiddly as to not justify the hassle and grief! Most of the time it won’t be noticed; one can only see the cockpit when up close and looking under the top wing anyway, so I just put in figures for the observers (and again the head of one of the FUD figures broke off when measuring up the positions required – I must get some better crew figures!).

The markings are those of the following 60 Squadron planes, June/August 1916:
    M-S BB 5182 Captain A S M Summers (observer unknown)
    M-S BB 5181 2/Lieutenant L L Clark & Sergeant A Walker
    M-S LA A.143 2/Lieutenant C A Ridley

Name:	three combined reduced.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	182867

The absence of the cockade on the fuselage feels wrong, but the photos clearly showed that it didn't have them.

Name:	BB8131red.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	182862

The slightly darker shade for the nose is just about visible here...

Name:	BB8136red.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	182863

Name:	BB8144red.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	182864

Name:	LA8161red.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	182865

There should be Lewis atop the wing on the LA; I'll add one when I eventually get one from Shapeways - I wasn't buying a whole sprue for just one gun!

Name:	LA8162red.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	182866

I'm rather glad they're done and I can now move on to other things. I found the CDL colouring quite dull overall, and initially it looked too crisp and neat, so I 'scruffed' it up a bit, without wanting to overdo it. I had planned that the SPADs that are waiting to be worked on would also be CDL colour schemes (to join the two 19 Sqn SPAD VII I repainted a while ago) - but now I'm thinking about changing them to a different squadron with more appealing markings!
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 12-03-2015 at 11:55. Reason: Typo

They look very nice Alex

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice Alex, I also have a pair of MS BB also from John M, I have a couple of cards made up if you need them

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Nice Alex, I also have a pair of MS BB also from John M, I have a couple of cards made up if you need them
    I appreciate the offer Chris, thanks you I've got cards already to go, however, and just need to print them when I have the chance. You can see them here.

Nice work Alex and end result on your planes......I know how hard it is to work with the shapeway material.

Scale rigging has always defeated me but I had a go on a Morane. Typical avoidance ploy to save doing something else more important.
    Here is my type N for number 1 squadron. I printed the serials on my inkjet and they are just about OK.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0392smaller.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	185110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0388smaller.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	185111

I can see the flaws now.

Tim

the camera is brutal, happily the human eye tends to be less so, it looks great to me.
    Well done

Looks good to me....well done Tim!

Nice one Tim, love the rigging!

Magnificent!

Bet you catch plenty of flies in that web!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
    Last Friday I took it along to our monthly WoW game at our club but it didn't get a game being elbowed out by a BE2c / Albatros B.1 recce game and a Bristol fighters v Fokker Dr.1s and Albatros D.V game. My Voss triplane enhanced it's legendary reputation with a Brisfit kill. Moranes are top of the flighing program next month.
    Sadly most of the players could not see the rigging with the naked eye. Sic transit......

Two French Morane Saulnier N doubles I converted to RFC and Russian Imperial Air Service aircraft.

The RFC aircraft is that of Sgt Tone Bayetto of 3 Squadron. Bayetto's father was born in Italy and migrated to England in the 1880's. Tone Bayetto was a pre-war racing car driver and civilian pilot. In 1915 he volunteered for service in the RFC and was sent to France in September of that year. He was posted to 3 Squadron RFC as Sgt. 4808 on 27 November 1915. Whilst with 3 Squadron he flew at least one patrol with Sgt. James McCudden. On 2 March 1916 Bayetto was flying Morane N 5067 when he claimed a Fokker shot down OOC. Commissioned in the field Tone Bayetto was credited with 4 victories before being badly wounded in the crash of his Sopwith Pup in late 1917. He recovered from his injuries enough to be cleared for home duties and was posted to training and demonstration units. On 28 July 1918 whilst serving with 29 TDS Exhibition Flight Capt. Bayetto was killed whilst flying Sopwith Dolphin E4449 when wings folded back at 200 feet and he dived into the ground.

Name:	IMG_8252.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	204347

The RFC roundels and white discs are Shed decals.

The Russian machine is the Morane Saulnier N flown by NCO pilot Ivan Smirnov with the 19th KAO. Smirnov was flying this aircraft on 2 May 1917 when he was credited with shooting down an Albatros C series west of Zavaluv. Smirnov survived the war and the Russian Revolution with 11 victories, served with the RAF and continued to fly in civilian life. He passed away on the island of Majorca in 1956 at the age of 61.

Name:	Smirnov Morane.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	204348

The Russian roundels and rudder skull and crossbones decals are homemade.

Name:	IMG_8251.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	204349

These look incredible aswell Carl! You uploaded a lot of good stuff today. Good job!!! Can't give you more REP, unfortunately.
    Thanks

Nick

Those both look great, Carl.
    I especially like the death's head tail on the Russki.

Thanks gentlemen. I particularly like how the Russian roundels look on the Morane.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Those both look great, Carl.
    I especially like the death's head tail on the Russki.
    Indeed! I might have to paint up the Russian. Great work Carl!.....Liked the story behind them as well.

Morane P
    Suitably weathered and beaten up, as were most aircraft on the Eastern front.

Name:	IMG_20161204_115230_133.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	212576

Here's a Shapeways Parasol. My first rigging attempt. I don't like the look of the wire going into the wings. Might have to drill a smaller hole next time. I also didn't get a pilot into it as after 20 minutes of trying I gave up! Not easy, for me anyway!

Name:	MSP6.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	218083

Name:	MSP7.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	218084

Name:	MSP8.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	218085

A second Parasol, this time a bit weathered. These two will be used in my upcoming Verdun game at Cold Wars.

Name:	MSP1.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	218086

Name:	MSP2.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	218087

Name:	MSP3.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	218088

Name:	MSP4.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	218089

Name:	MSP5.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	218090

Top pair of Moranes there Peter!

I'll use them as the benchmark for my own ones (when I get around to them!)

REP!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

One thing I noticed on these models was the outlines for ailerons. I didn't realize some of these had them!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-03-2019 at 11:06.

I can't REP you any more than I already have right now Peter, great work on all your early war Frenchies. Nothing like a looming con to focus the mind.

Thanks much Carl. Yes, the pressure of an upcoming con does wonders on the painting queue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Official Halberstadt painting thread
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 04-02-2024, 14:31
  2. Official Spad VII painting thread
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 03-14-2024, 01:08
  3. Official Nieuport 17/23 painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:52
  4. Official Pfalz D.III painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: 04-30-2023, 01:45
  5. WGSF Official Messerschmitt Bf-109 painting thread
    By Marechallannes in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 338
    Last Post: 08-29-2022, 10:48