Ares Games
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fokker D.VII painting thread

Aye those look really nice Keith are you going to put them in the Jasta thread also?

Not sure Chris. I like the idea of the Painting Showcase threads we have here and I like the Unit thread idea as well. But between those two and the normal Hobby section, we are getting quite a bit of double and even triple postings. I need to think on this some more

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Since I'm re-creating Ltn. Kandt of Jasta 18, what color of red did you use for your Jasta?
    Last edited by flash; 12-23-2013 at 00:06.

Quote Originally Posted by freebird-52 View Post
    Since I'm re-creating Ltn. Kandt of Jasta 18, what color of red did you use for your Jasta?
    Hi Andy for all of my Jasta 18 planes I've used Windsor & Newton Vermilion Hue,it's got good pigment strength and a high opacity I hope this helps, nice to see more of the candy planes out there I really like the Jasta 18 colour scheme and I look forward to seeing Ltn. Kandt in acytion against the enemy sometime soon

Wilhelm Kuhne's Fokker D.VII

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0199.jpg Kurt Monnington's Fokker D.VII.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	82590

Name:	IMAG0203.jpg Unknown pilot.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	82591

Sorry chaps for the blurry images.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 03-22-2013 at 06:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I like the idea of the Painting Showcase threads we have here and I like the Unit thread idea as well. But between those two and the normal Hobby section, we are getting quite a bit of double and even triple postings. I need to think on this some more
    Honestly I never understood what these threds were trying to accomplish. I think what you want is some sort if index functionality so someone can browse all the planes of a certain type without wading through the whole forum. If I were to set up something like that I'd think it would need to be either wholy administered or strictly moderated. My first ground rule would be the index threads contain no unique information, simply pointers to seperate posts (or maybe albums) about the relevant planes, with maybe a thumbnail image for each thread. Either someone is responsible for updating the first post as an index, and all comments are deleted once the info has been updated in the primary post, or everyone is allowed one post in the thread to keep updated with links to all of their relevant repaints for that thread. All commentary posts, multiple posts by the same author, and posts otherwise violating the restricions would be deleted. Any commentary on individual works would have to be directed to the linked thread.

I'm not sure about the unit thread. If that's a thread to collect all photos of multlpe planes from any unit painted by the same artis, then it would work just like an airplane thread; if it's collection of all planes from a particular unit from any artist, then there would probably have to be a thread for each unit, or it would have to be maintained in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    Wilhelm Kuhne's Fokker D.VII -Sorry chaps for the blurry images.
    Since I'm looking to build a Jasta 18 Fokker D.VII, Wilhelm Kuhne's Fokker D.VII looks close to Lt Kandt's. Lt Kandt's had an all red tail with the same diangle black with white dashes stripe. Am I wrong?
    Last edited by flash; 03-25-2013 at 11:14. Reason: Delete Spurious Pics !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well someone had to start this massive ball rolling !
    My versions of some Jasta 15 kites: Full details in my album here
    Have to ask the stupid question, is top & bottom camo a paint job or decals?
    Last edited by flash; 03-25-2013 at 11:14. Reason: Delete extra Pics !

Since I'm looking to build a Jasta 18 Fokker D.VII, Wilhelm Kuhne's Fokker D.VII looks close to Lt Kandt's. Lt Kandt's had an all red tail with the same diangle black with white dashes stripe. Am I wrong?
    I've seen this plane with a red tail and a white tail, so I'm not sure which is correct so I chose to paint the tail white, as for the name of the pilot I'll double check as I've got the Osprey book and correct if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Honestly I never understood what these threds were trying to accomplish.

I'm not sure about the unit thread. If that's a thread to collect all photos of multlpe planes from any unit painted by the same artis, then it would work just like an airplane thread; if it's collection of all planes from a particular unit from any artist, then there would probably have to be a thread for each unit, or it would have to be maintained in the first post.
    My take on these threads is as follows, hasten to say just how I see the reason for them.

The individual painting show case is for members to show off an aircraft of a particular type and their interpretation of the colours, why?
    We all like to show off a bit , these help in showing others to help with schemes and , hopefully, inspire others to take a project with painting.
    It also shows others different types of aircraft and their colours. Comments made by others help t o improve and correct interpretations and mistakes, as I did recently with my Aviatik C1, plus to get accolades from your peers on site.
    The unit painting thread was thought, up as a lot of members commented they like to see groups of aircraft from the same unit/ Jasta so the idea is for the same member to paint up a group of aircraft from the same unit, why a minimum of three? To differentiate from the individual painting showcase.
    Anyway that's why I post pics of my painting, hopefully to inspire others to have a go

Have to ask the stupid question, is top & bottom camo a paint job or decals?
    it's as they came Andy - based on Nexus Schaeffers D.VII with Doms decals. Wish I could paint like that !

I guess I should add my Jasta 18 D.VIIs that I recently had time to paint up.
    This Jasta is very simple to paint up and goes really quick, oh, and they look really good on the table! What more could you ask for.... besides more D.VII minis to repaint with?
    VERY nice work!
    Last edited by flash; 12-23-2013 at 00:07. Reason: Delete Spurious Pics !

So I have done a Fokker D.VII too:

Because I am a Swabian I´ve done Gefr. Wilhelm Scheutzel´s D.4649/18, Jata 65, with the motive of the seven swabians hunting the rabbit:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    So I have done a Fokker D.VII too: Because I am a Swabian I´ve done Gefr. Wilhelm Scheutzel´s D.4649/18, Jata 65, with the motive of the seven swabians hunting the rabbit:
    Very nice! Will have to add my version of this crate to the post when she's complete. 1 of 4 needed for the Battle of St. Mihiel Scenario
    Last edited by flash; 12-23-2013 at 00:07.

Another very attractive warbird Matthias.
    I always love to see those littl Swabians chasing the rabbit.
    Rob.

and now presenting the four "Adversaries" for the Scenario #9 St. Mihiel Air Campaign...

From Jasta 15, Ltn Josef Veltjens...

From Jasta 18 Ltn Kandt...

From Jasta 19, Ltn Oliver von Beaulieu Marconnay...

and finally from Jasta 65 Gefreiter Wilhelm Scheutze!

Custom built playing cards availiable in the Files Section, WWI, Custom Cards, Custom Planes, Central Power Cards, Various Fokker D.VII cards...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...p?do=cat&id=36
    Last edited by freebird-52; 05-08-2013 at 17:38. Reason: Added link to Custom Built Cards

They certainly present a formidable foursome Andy.
    It will be great to see how they perform in action.
    Rob.

A great looking flight.

Very well done man!!

Matthias

A day at the beach for Jasta 4.

Carlos Meyer Baldo

E Koepsch

Lt. Richard Kraut.

All Shapeways Kampffleiger kits except for Udet.

Ian

Ian

Looking good against the mats Ian. Any AAR's forthcoming with them?

Very nifty looking birds Ian.
    Bit of a grey day at the beach though!
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    A day at the beach for Jasta 4. Ian
    Very nice!!!
    Last edited by flash; 08-27-2013 at 11:13. Reason: Delete Spurious Pics !

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

My three old Red Eagle birds.
    Painted to match official cards I had available but different from the old Nexus mini`s that I never managed to track down.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D-VII Formation -2.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	106733

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The chequers are rather fine.

Rob.
    It`s mainly a lot of decaling work using various generic sheets from a number of places.
    The biggest problem was on the Von Hippel with the name "Mimmi" which is hand painted.

Nice paint job and decaling on those 3 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Painted to match official cards I had available but different from the old Nexus mini`s that I never managed to track down.
    Last edited by flash; 10-02-2013 at 12:14. Reason: Delete spurious pics

My first foray into using Shapeways WSF material.

Here is my Fokker DVII flown by Carl Degelow, first of several I plan to make of Jasta 40.

Name:	IMG_1396.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	107677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	107678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	107679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	107680

Great lookin' birds there David, Ian & Robert!

Willi Rosenstein has been added to my Jasta 40.

Name:	IMG_1409.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	107874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	107875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1411.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	107876

Some of the best looking finish for WSF material of any sort I have seen David.

Lovely work everyone, inspires me to paint me another bird.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Very, very nice indeed Keith. Did you use an airbrush? The quality, opacity and precision of your paintwork is a wonderful thing to behold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    Very, very nice indeed Keith. Did you use an airbrush? The quality, opacity and precision of your paintwork is a wonderful thing to behold!!!
    Great work, and you are now a plane ahead of me for Jasta 40 David.
    Rob.

Very nice looking DVII's, design is simple but very eye catching and you've captured them beautifully with your repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    Hey Tim, I'm assuming you are talking about my Jasta 18 birds in post #42? If so, thank you. I do use an airbrush to lay down all my base colors for repaints. There is just no other way to get that smooth of a surface and as crisp of lines. Though, David did get really close on his Jasta 40 birds!

Hey Tim, I'm assuming you are talking about my Jasta 18 birds in post #42? If so, thank you. I do use an airbrush to lay down all my base colors for repaints. There is just no other way to get that smooth of a surface and as crisp of lines. Though, David did get really close on his Jasta 40 birds!
    Shhh... I use an airbrush too...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Painted to match official cards I had available but different from the old Nexus mini`s that I never managed to track down.
    Gorgeous birds!
    Last edited by flash; 10-02-2013 at 12:15. Reason: Delete Spurious pics

Quote Originally Posted by PFactorDave View Post
    Willi Rosenstein has been added to my Jasta 40.
    Truly a great job! For those who compete in contest here, had better look out!
    Last edited by flash; 10-02-2013 at 12:16. Reason: Delete spurious pics

Quote Originally Posted by PFactorDave View Post
    Shhh... I use an airbrush too...
    Does not surprise me on bit

Here's my latest Fokker DVII. A Jasta 10 bird, flown by Ltn Arthur Laumann.

It's a Shapeways model designed by jbmacek. https://www.shapeways.com/model/1012...d=6&li=ostatus

Name:	IMG_2498S.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	115170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2499S.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	115171 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2495S.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	115172
    Last edited by PFactorDave; 10-29-2013 at 08:28.

I couldn't get the attachments up Dave, but the picture you have of it on Shapeways is very well presented.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That is a nice looking bird Dave. I also had to go check it out on the Shapeways site as the attachment is not working for me either.

Weird... Attachments worked last night. Now they don't. I'll try to edit and fix them later this morning.

EDIT: Well, I've re-uploaded the photos and they seem to be working at the moment. I guess we'll see if it holds.
    Last edited by PFactorDave; 10-29-2013 at 08:29.

David, those I can see are great.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Official Albatros D.Va painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 663
    Last Post: Today, 15:25
  2. Official Fokker Dr1 painting thread.
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 604
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:48
  3. Official Albatros D.III painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 526
    Last Post: 11-23-2023, 09:39
  4. Official Spad XIII painting thread
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 10-27-2023, 06:24
  5. Official after Origins thread
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 18:39