Ares Games

Thread: What makes a good AAR?

Default What makes a good AAR?

I'm new to this AAR deal, so I hope some of you veterens can help me out with a few answers about what makes a good AAR. I've looked at a number of AARs in this campaign, but I don't see any sort of "how-to" to creating one.

1. What does AAR stand for?

2. What is the important information in an AAR? Is it an account of the manueuvers and damage cards so someone could recreate the game? I recognize that it is important to track who shot down who, but what else is important?

3. Is the story or narrative more important than what cards were played or drawn? Do you gloss over a plane that is away from the fight? Is it acceptable to tell the story from the perspective of one plane?

4. Is it acceptable to dramatically pose planes and/or scenary to emphasis action, or is it more important to just record the game? An example might be to put a plane on 10 pegs just for the picture so it looks like it is very high above another as it dives down with guns blazing.

5. Is photoshopping the photos taboo?

Hi Shawn! Welcome.
    Your questions are very pertinent.
    I'll give you my own opinion, reserving right now the right to say that many others will have a different view from mine.

1. AAR stands for After Action Report.

2. The important information in the AAR is the summary of what happened, when, and who done it. Major things, that probably turned the direction of the game, should be analysed. The maneuvers and who shot who and how is important.

3. The story and narrative should flow from the game and not the opposite. Of course that initial story of the scenario must be taken in account. If a plane doesn't do anything important during the battle, that should also be stated, but less detail should be given to that plane's performance. I always tell the story from the perspective of one pilot, or from the perspective of several if it creates a better story.

4. If you can take dramatic photos in the flow of the game, I would say yes. I don't change the game just to pose planes. But if you can keep true to the game, why not? Your example is perfectly acceptable.

5. Not for me. If photoshopping you create a better AAR, just go ahead!

Final note: This should be done to have fun and to give fun to others. So, your call is as good as mine.

Joaquim sat on a bench still waiting for his big engines...

Quim is right. In fact he is one of the few of the forumers who started to write novel-like AAR's and this is the concept we all accepted.
    My piece of advice would be - write a story, do not overload it with details. I do not use photoshop techniques for I can not do that, but I if you can I would allow it just to mark some interesting events or accidents on the pictures with arrows etc.

I personally tried different approaches in my AAR:
    - start it with the end (outcome) of a fight and then recall the beginning,
    - trying to make others laugh (with mediocre effect) including some associations (in the 7th scenario, the observer to be picked up as a rear gunner was Heinrich Jensen alias Sir Henry Jones (on the black&white photo) You should remember what a great rear gunner he once was!.
    Well, use your imagination and make your story worth repeating over and over in the Officers' Mess!

Well, I was leaning towards a more comic book panel approach just highlighting the action and de-emphasising the damage cards and movement cards. Then I saw Nightbomber and Marechallannes' latest AAR's for mission 10 and I really like how they leave the movement cards where they are for the turn so you can get a feeling about the flow of the fight. It is helpful to pick up some tactics and see the spacial relationships between the planes. To those who have refined the art of AAR, thanks, I am inspired!

Shawn you can do AARs any way you want, 3rd party, as an individual account of the action I even did one as a reporter from a newspaper recounting what he saw in the air.
    For me the photos are important. I like to include the movement cards to give the reader something to relate the narrative too. If you have the time to photoshop the pics go for it , but after downloading, sizing and uploading to the site ,writing the AAR and uploading that I dont have too much time for that.

Thing is to enjoy the game and if other people enjoy your AARs its a bonus
    Paul

Lightbulb

Yes I echo everyones comments so far.

Tell the story of the mission with details of any "fun" things that occur.
    I try to usually base mine around the exploits of my RNAS Squadron "Hearts of Oak" if the mission fits in but am not adverse to flying other pilots for different missions.

Sometimes an ongoing story line of the one Flight, Squadron or pilot enhances the game.

Just give it a try. You will get better the more you write.

Try going back through some of the older AAR,s & see which style you like. Of course the mission being flown helps if it causes much activity!

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    Well, I was leaning towards a more comic book panel approach just highlighting the action and de-emphasising the damage cards and movement cards. Then I saw Nightbomber and Marechallannes' latest AAR's for mission 10 and I really like how they leave the movement cards where they are for the turn so you can get a feeling about the flow of the fight. It is helpful to pick up some tactics and see the spacial relationships between the planes. To those who have refined the art of AAR, thanks, I am inspired!
    I think the comic book panel idea sounds really neat. I'm not sure how good you are at PS, but you could always use motion blur artwork lines to show the "flow" of the planes as they fly... if that makes sense?

There are as many ways of doing an AAR as there are ideas. You will soon discover which style suits your approach best. I always avoid stating hit numbers in the story line as I feel that it is disruptive to the flowof the story and patronising to my reader. If my story says the engine suddenly stuttered, I expect the reader to be able to see the engine damage card in the pictureand draw his own conclusions.
    Basically, use whatever style floats your boat and refine it as you progress, I know we all did.
    Above all, as the other chaps have stated already, have fun Shawn.
    Rob.

What a wonderful company we have here! I'm really proud of being among you, gentlemen.

I think the main thing is the audience has to be able to follow the story & see what's happening on the table. I write my openings in slightly different styles depending on what happened in the game & my mood - that affects my narrative too.
    Go with your flow Shawn, I would think a comic book style would have to be very dramatic & action packed so why don't you have a stab at one of the missions and post it here ?!

I make Dave's words my own! Let us see one of your AAR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I think the comic book panel idea sounds really neat. I'm not sure how good you are at PS, but you could always use motion blur artwork lines to show the "flow" of the planes as they fly... if that makes sense?
    That is one idea I'm thinking about Keith. Zoom lines, waggle lines, bullet streaks are all being considered. I'm too much of a geek, I was even researching what color WWI tracer rounds would be I need to proof of concept some of these ideas to see if the PS stuff will integrate with photos. I've considered taking pictures against a green screen and chroma-keying in a background as well. I think there is something to gain from some depth of focus adjustments on my camera as well, but I'll have to see. It is a fine line, I would rather be playing than doing write-ups, but sometimes you have to feed the creative spirit I'll do some experimenting and let you guys know if I come up with anything.

One question I have about the forum Keith: Is there a way to some how make a link from a photo in my AAR to another photo in my album? For example, my frame shows my trusty Nieuport diving down on an unsuspecting two seater. If you click (or maybe a rollover?) the frame you see the game photo standard shot from over the table with movement cards, damage cards, etc. So you see the action shot, then can get to the game shot that inspired it.

Shawn - go for it! I can't wait to see your works

You can wrap your image code [IMG] inside link code [url] to have your posted image link to a page inside your album.

With all this technical talk, I take it you are into photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    You can wrap your image code [IMG] inside link code [url] to have your posted image link to a page inside your album.

With all this technical talk, I take it you are into photography?
    I used to be in video production. Really the craft of telling a story interests me, whatever the medium. I don't know why these AARs interest me so, but they really have me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Shawn - go for it! I can't wait to see your works

Once again. Shawn - show us your style! I'm all for it!

Ok, I've put together a few ideas into a picture of what one panel might look like with this comic book style AAR idea mentioned above. I don't have a cool game mat yet, so to try some ideas out I swiped a picture from Nightbomber's mission 10 AAR. I hope you don't mind Nightbomber! What do you all think?
    The before photo:

The after photo:

Shawn!

here and now I'm getting a toast to you with a glass of red wine!
    Man, you are the one we need here!
    Of course you are allowed to use any of my (poor quality) pictures if you find them useful - feel free!
    I'm honored!

Shawn that comic panel looks real cool and would make a sweet aar.

Very nice!! That can be the beginning of something great, Shawn!

Thumbs up

Yes that looks impressive!
    Cant wait for your first effort at a full AAR.

Wonderful picture Shawn!

I could support you with the German language.

"Sie geht unten Engländer" is incomprehensible.

(she's going downstairs)

Should be:

Jetzt geht's nach unten, Engländer!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

(she's going downstairs)

..."Sie geht unten Engländer" is incomprehensible. (she's going downstairs) Should be: Jetzt geht's nach unten, Engländer!
    I was hopeful that it said "She goes under the Englishman" - I've been around Kyte & Joanna too long
    Cracking piece of artwork Shawn - I think that will work really well in your AAR.

Firstly Shawn, your art work gets my vote. Can't wait to see myself in the first comic strip.
    Second. Ignore the innuendo fro the Squadron Leader.
    Joanna is too much of a Lady for me to comment further on out relationship on or under the bar.
    Kyte.

Wonderful picture Shawn!

(she's going downstairs)

Should be:

Jetzt geht's nach unten, Engländer!
    I got it from google translate. It was supposed to be "You must go down Englishman!" I knew I was going to get dinged on it from the European contingency. If you have any good exclaimations or swearing in German that would be period appropriate I'd love to start a list for future AARs. I'd take French ones too!

One more AAR question.... Where would I post them if I'm not in the Over the Trenches campaign?

The "After Action Reports" section of Mission discussions would be the place.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/for...Action-Reports

If you play one of the Over the Trenches mission, please feel free to post the AAR there. Your choice.

Shawn, your comic book panel technique is exceptionally clever. It is a novel way, from what I have seen and read, to tell your after action report. I have made AARs in two formats. The first is a straightforward description of what occurred, akin to basic sports reporting. A second method I used just this weekend was to create a fictional pilot of whom I inserted into a narrative of the game. Because I am interested in such things, I also added a theme of the differences amongst people's realities: propaganda versus one pilot's experience.

I look forward to your comic book AARs.

Wonderful picture Shawn!

(she's going downstairs)
    Seems perfectly compehensible to me. In fact, I would quite welcome it.

Can't wait to see one of your AARs Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    The "After Action Reports" section of Mission discussions would be the place.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/for...Action-Reports
    Look at that. Breach hull, all die, even had it underline! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ptownhiker View Post
    Shawn, your comic book panel technique is exceptionally clever. It is a novel way, from what I have seen and read, to tell your after action report. I have made AARs in two formats. The first is a straightforward description of what occurred, akin to basic sports reporting. A second method I used just this weekend was to create a fictional pilot of whom I inserted into a narrative of the game. Because I am interested in such things, I also added a theme of the differences amongst people's realities: propaganda versus one pilot's experience.

I look forward to your comic book AARs.
    I enjoyed your "propaganda" approach. Unique and creative!

Similar Missions

1. Who makes your Minis you fly...
    By Dorb in forum Polls
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 04-11-2018, 14:22
  2. So what makes a good aviation movie?
    By bsmith13 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 07:53
  3. Flt Ltn "Dusty" Rhodes makes Ace!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7