Ares Games

Thread: Another 1/200 Heavy Bomber

Default Another 1/200 Heavy Bomber

Saw this on evilbay and I thought I would try one out as it was less than $9.00 to my doorstep. It is by Maisto their Tailwinds series. A B24D it scales out to 1/224 approx.
    The quality of workmanship is not high.
    With some work you can turn out a passable heavy thats an uncommon bird.
    I scales well with the smaller WOW aircraft.

Looks like quite a bit of work to turn out a descent mini.

The most time consuming was the cockpit and nose greenhouse. The rest was not much more than you would spend on a pewter 1/144 biplane. I have one of the Academy B17s but this was the choice for me. Going to be work managing the various gun positions. Altitude rules are a must.
    Tony

So, from a cost/time perspective, would you rather modify one of these or simply start from a pewter kit?

Great work, Tony!

I'm afraid a lone BF-109 E 4 is no match for this gunship.

Nice looking models.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    So, from a cost/time perspective, would you rather modify one of these or simply start from a pewter kit?
    Keith,
    I haven't seen any B24s in 1/200 scale. There are probably some in 1/144 however. I have chosen to stay with the "official" 1/200 scale for my WWII planes.
    That dosn't answer your question. In terms of cost it is a inexpensive prepainted model with poor detail. Usable as it comes from the box but certainly not a beauty. You could do less than I did and make a marked improvement. One idea I toyed with was to make it a later model by using a piece of dowel in the nose area replicating the rear turret. Minimal glass to paint frames on. The clear parts are major drawback there is no way around that. I used wood dowel for the top turret and the navigation dome. The nose and cockpit clear parts I used as a "form" and added sheet styreen till it was what I wanted. A solid pewter model would be ok by me if it was a decent cast. If someone made a resin kit (like ARM) that would be the ticket.
    Timewise I have cleaned and primed 6 smaller aircraft and will have them done in about the same time. Would I do it again? Maybe if I found one locally in the toy section I would do the slow motion build and do that later model.
    Tony
    Last edited by pflanzer; 08-13-2012 at 14:34.

Very nice work !
    Thanks for sharing

Thumbs up

Tony

That came out very nice! Well worth the effort for plane that is not otherwise available! If you live in an area that has a Dollar store chain called Five Below take a look in one. They occasionally have some of the Maisto Tailwinds series planes. I have come across some Can Do 14 scale planes in there also. They do not carry these as regular stock, just what comes i on the truck. The tailwinds are not scaled but here is a Mosquito they make in beside my 144 scale Mosquito. picked it up for $3.00 at Five Below. The Tailwinds is slightly over sized, and cast metal. Plus shots of my last two Five Below finds, a pair of Can Do Stukas.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8180133.jpg   P8180137.jpg   P8180138.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by pflanzer View Post
    I haven't seen any B24s in 1/200 scale. There are probably some in 1/144 however.
    In 1/144 Academy/Minicraft produce both a D and an H/J (if you buy the 'new' B24D, it's actually a conversion for the original H/J provided in the box) and CafeReo/Algernon do a very nice H/J gashapon, though it requires some modification as the undercarriage is moulded in the down position..

Similar Missions

1. 1/144 scale Heavy Bomber stands
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2018, 14:24
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2015, 16:45
  3. WSF A heavy Bomber reaches the Front.
    By gully_raker in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 01:56
  4. My second one: the Uniform is getting heavy.
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 10:18
  5. about 1/144 Scale Heavy Bomber Stands
    By het in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 05:56