Thread: Another 1/200 Heavy Bomber

Default Another 1/200 Heavy Bomber

Saw this on evilbay and I thought I would try one out as it was less than $9.00 to my doorstep. It is by Maisto their Tailwinds series. A B24D it scales out to 1/224 approx.
    The quality of workmanship is not high.
    With some work you can turn out a passable heavy thats an uncommon bird.
    I scales well with the smaller WOW aircraft.

Looks like quite a bit of work to turn out a descent mini.

The most time consuming was the cockpit and nose greenhouse. The rest was not much more than you would spend on a pewter 1/144 biplane. I have one of the Academy B17s but this was the choice for me. Going to be work managing the various gun positions. Altitude rules are a must.
    Tony

So, from a cost/time perspective, would you rather modify one of these or simply start from a pewter kit?

Great work, Tony!

I'm afraid a lone BF-109 E 4 is no match for this gunship.

Nice looking models.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    So, from a cost/time perspective, would you rather modify one of these or simply start from a pewter kit?
    Keith,
    I haven't seen any B24s in 1/200 scale. There are probably some in 1/144 however. I have chosen to stay with the "official" 1/200 scale for my WWII planes.
    That dosn't answer your question. In terms of cost it is a inexpensive prepainted model with poor detail. Usable as it comes from the box but certainly not a beauty. You could do less than I did and make a marked improvement. One idea I toyed with was to make it a later model by using a piece of dowel in the nose area replicating the rear turret. Minimal glass to paint frames on. The clear parts are major drawback there is no way around that. I used wood dowel for the top turret and the navigation dome. The nose and cockpit clear parts I used as a "form" and added sheet styreen till it was what I wanted. A solid pewter model would be ok by me if it was a decent cast. If someone made a resin kit (like ARM) that would be the ticket.
    Timewise I have cleaned and primed 6 smaller aircraft and will have them done in about the same time. Would I do it again? Maybe if I found one locally in the toy section I would do the slow motion build and do that later model.
    Tony
    Last edited by pflanzer; 08-13-2012 at 14:34.

Very nice work !
    Thanks for sharing

Thumbs up

Tony

That came out very nice! Well worth the effort for plane that is not otherwise available! If you live in an area that has a Dollar store chain called Five Below take a look in one. They occasionally have some of the Maisto Tailwinds series planes. I have come across some Can Do 14 scale planes in there also. They do not carry these as regular stock, just what comes i on the truck. The tailwinds are not scaled but here is a Mosquito they make in beside my 144 scale Mosquito. picked it up for $3.00 at Five Below. The Tailwinds is slightly over sized, and cast metal. Plus shots of my last two Five Below finds, a pair of Can Do Stukas.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8180133.jpg   P8180137.jpg   P8180138.jpg  

Baldrick62's Avatar Site Librarian
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Baldrick de Bruxelles
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by pflanzer View Post
    I haven't seen any B24s in 1/200 scale. There are probably some in 1/144 however.
    In 1/144 Academy/Minicraft produce both a D and an H/J (if you buy the 'new' B24D, it's actually a conversion for the original H/J provided in the box) and CafeReo/Algernon do a very nice H/J gashapon, though it requires some modification as the undercarriage is moulded in the down position..

Similar Missions

1. WSF A heavy Bomber reaches the Front.
    By gully_raker in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 01:56
  2. 1/144 scale Heavy Bomber stands
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 09:27
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 15:27
  4. My second one: the Uniform is getting heavy.
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 10:18
  5. about 1/144 Scale Heavy Bomber Stands
    By het in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 05:56