Ares Games

View Poll Results: Who are your favourite Allied Pilots?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • McCudden

10 26.32%
  • Ball

7 18.42%
  • Mannock

8 21.05%
  • Bishop

2 5.26%
  • Collishaw

6 15.79%
  • Little

2 5.26%
  • Dallas

2 5.26%
  • Hawker

4 10.53%
  • Guynemer

8 21.05%
  • Fonk

5 13.16%
  • Nungusser

7 18.42%
  • Rickenbacker

10 26.32%
  • Luke

5 13.16%
  • someone else

7 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Your Favourite Allied Pilot?

Question Your Favourite Allied Pilot?

O.K. fellow Pilots I checked back through the Polls & there does not seem to have been a poll on this before.
    So who are your 3 favourite Allied Pilots.
    I will see if I am allowed to let you pick 3 out of the list but if not please vote for your favourite & list another 2 in your post.

Have at it folks!

I will do one for the Central Powers as well.

I will start the ball rolling!
    1 McCudden
    2 Mannock
    3 Stan Dallas (Australian Ace)

Exclamation

Oh damn! I wanted to add Francesco Barracca for our Italian Pilots but I cant add another choice so if you want to vote for him just vote for "other" & I will add the totals of posts that mention him.

Choosing just 3...hard work! First 2 were pretty easy, I went with Albert Ball & Mick Mannock. Fierce, driven, complicated men, I find them highly interesting. #3 was hard, as I'm equally fond of several. Bishop, Guynemer, Fonk (there's something likeable about a guy so terminally UNlikeable! ), Rickenbacker. But in the end I settled on Raymond Collishaw, for a number of reasons, but if for no other, he lead a squadron called "The Black Flight" & named his plane "The Black Maria"...how bad is THAT!

I picked lucky Eddie Rickenbacker as my #1, but I kinda like them all - the combination of all of these personalities - daring Albert Ball, haunted Mick Mannock, brash Rene Fonck, obsessed Frank Luke and the rest - make the study of the era endlessly enjoyable.

I picked Hawker he started the ball rolling for developing fighter tacticts. But there are also other that deserve a mention, well in fact all.

I picked one and that was Rene Fonck, the top allied ace.

I would also go with Lanoe Hawker who was at one time the terror in the sky for the Central powers planes, and Stan Dallas because he was Australian!

Donald Roderick MacLaren DSO, MC & Bar, DFC

"Canadian World War I flying ace. He was credited with 54 victories and, after the war, helped found the Royal Canadian Air Force." Top scoring Ace who flew a Sopwith Camel.

...and not (yet) represented with an official WoG mini.

Rickenbacker, class act all the way!

Elliott Springs. I have repaints for his SE5a for when he was attached to Bishop's squadron and his Sopwith Camel of the U. S. 148th.

My other choice is James Norman Hall. Growing up just after WW2, and before books on that conflict began to hit the press, I read everything I could get my hands on about the Great War, but it wasn't until 1959 that I got to read "Falcons of France," and fell in love with the war in the air. So here's to you, James, may you always have the wind beneath your wings.

Wow...such fertile field with teeming fruit...will be short and sweet...Mick Mannock, Frank Luke and Raymond Collishaw.

Exclamation Dont Forget you can vote for 3 Pilots!

Hi Folks! Just noticed some have only voted for 1 Pilot. You can vote for up to 3 as it is a multiple choice poll!

I think that once you've submitted your vote there is no way to go back and vote some more.

Ball, Rickenbacker and Luke, although it was a tough choice. Ball, above all, for his style of fighting that suits me well. Luke for his samurai will of fight to the bitter end..., Rickenbacker... well, Fast Eddie and his unforgettable smile - for his way of life
    I just regret I do not know more about all of the guys, but read as much biographies as I could.

I chose Ball for his tactics, Mannock for his single mindedness, and McCudden for his leadership.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Choosing just 3...hard work! ... Raymond Collishaw, for a number of reasons, but if for no other, he lead a squadron called "The Black Flight" & named his plane "The Black Maria"...how bad is THAT!
    Actually, he led a flight called 'The Black Flight' in 10 Sqn RNAS, but it's still very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Actually, he led a flight called 'The Black Flight' in 10 Sqn RNAS, but it's still very cool.
    Whoops. I misread his posting to the #10 Naval Squadron, when checking to make sure I had my facts straight, & totally overlooked the further distinction of "B Flight".
    :embarass:
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 08-31-2012 at 20:50. Reason: space

McCudden for me, followed by Little & Bishop

Dallas for leadership, Little for talent and Fonck as the all-time Allied 'Ace of Aces'.

Similar Missions

1. What's your favourite number of planes to command?
    By Marechallannes in forum Polls
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 14:06
  2. What is your Favourite WW1 Period?
    By gully_raker in forum Polls
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 11:08
  3. Who's your Favourite Pilot
    By Happy in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 14:03
  4. My favourite aircraft