Ares Games

Thread: 1/200 WW2 Costum Bases

Default 1/200 WW2 Costum Bases

I asked for some custom WW2 bases to Keith and because there was more interest in it, I'm creating a WW2 custom base thread.

I asked for:

2 Bleihem Mk IV bases;
    2 Avengers bases;
    2 Junkers Ju-88 bases;
    2 Messerschmitt Bf 110c bases;
    2 B-17f bases.

Keith will send me back the base layout for us to finish designing the base of each plane.
    Anyone who needs custom bases, these or other, please do post in this thread so that we can make a joined order.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 01-28-2013 at 21:28.

I'd be in for some Blenheim, 88 and 110 bases. Which Blenheim though - with or without the the gun pack?

A defiant base would be useful to me as well - not much different from the Roland base, without the front firing arc.

Without. It's easier to use it with the guns pack if you want it, than to remember that it doesn't have them, I guess.
    Please, a correct number, Steve.

I would be interested in most of these bases too (except maybe the Blenheim at this stage) in 1/144 scale. Others in 1/144 scale too that are not listed here yet eg Lancaster, Dornier 217, Heinkel 111 etc.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, Nigel, the bases aren't of the same size, being the planes at 1/144 or 1/200? My planes are at 1/200...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Without. It's easier to use it with the guns pack if you want it, than to remember that it doesn't have them, I guess.
    Please, a correct number, Steve.
    On one hand it would be good to have the front firing arc engraved on the Blenheim base, on the other without it, it would also do for Blenheim Is.

For starters, I'd be interested in 4 for 110s and 88s, and 4 possibly 8 of the Blenheim. I am assuming these are 1/200?

Yes Steve. These are 1/200, but we can accommodate for 1/144 if someone needs them. And what are the differences?

I asked for some custom WW2 bases to Keith and because there was more interest in it, I'm creating a WW2 custom base thread.

I asked for:

2 Bleihem Mk IV bases;
    2 Avengers bases;
    2 Junkers Ju-88 bases;
    2 Messerschmitt Bf 110c bases;
    2 B-17f bases.

Keith will send me back the base layout for us to finish designing the base of each plane.
    Anyone who needs custom bases, these or other, please do post in this thread so that we can make a joined order.
    I would be interested to see what size bases you are using for the Messrschmitt Bf110.

I have been using a custom Litko base half as wide again as the standard single engine base to represent the larger size of the aircraft, but also reflecting they are smaller than a bomber. I will be using the same size base for my Beaufighters and my Ki46 Dinah.

Cheers,

Carl.

Let's keep this thread for the 1/200 scale bases. Feel free to start another thread for 1/44 if you like.

Yeap. 1:200.
    I suggest we standarize the bases like:
    A base: single seat fighters plus one engine tactical bombers (Val, Stuka, Sturmovik),
    B base: all bigger two/three engine/seaters (Bf 110, Blenheim?),
    C base: medium level bombers/transports (He111, Ju88, Wellington, Ju52),
    D base: 4 engine bombers.

Shall we establish the dimensions of bases B-D?

I would suggest that you stick with the base sizes that Ares is already using. I think if they ever get around to doing "giant" planes for WGS, they will go with the established bases sizes from WGF. So you would have the standard fighter size, the medium bomber base and the large bomber base.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I would suggest that you stick with the base sizes that Ares is already using. I think if they ever get around to doing "giant" planes for WGS, they will go with the established bases sizes from WGF. So you would have the standard fighter size, the medium bomber base and the large bomber base.
    I totally agree.
    Just want to know what size of bases should we use for unofficial planes (so far) like Bf 110, Kate or Dauntless.
    Any suggestions?

Any chance to have a base with pegs that you can put on each other like the official one?
    I'm not interested in special altitude base, are they standard on what you create?

Since they are already working on a Me-110, was it possible to know what is the size of that plane's base? Is it equal to the He-111?
    The other bases, yes, I think that we should stick with the sizes WoG-ww1 already has.

I'd certainly be up for a couple of ME110 bases

Hi Keith,

I seem to recall from the dim dark Nexus days of 2009 - 2010 that Andrea planned for the DoW heavy fighters set to be the same length as the standard base but 50% wider. Is there any more recent intelligence on this?

Cheers,

Carl

I don't think I ever heard that Carl, but then I don't hear everything!

Looking at the planes we already know base sizes for, we get this...

Plane Length Wingspan Base size
    Stuka 11m 13.8m Fighter base 43x67mm
    Val 10.2m 14.37m Fighter base 43x67mm
    He-111 16.4m 22.6m Large bomber base
    B-25 16.3m 20.6m Large bomber base
    Bf-110 12.3 16.3 Unknown

So far, planes with a wingspan of under 8cm have been on fighter sized bases and the upcoming twin engine bombers with 10cm+ wingspans will be on the small bomber bases. The Bf-110 should have a wingspan of 8.15cm at 1/200 scale. So, while it is possible Ares might make a "large fighter" base for planes in between the 8cm and 10cm marks, I don't personally think so. Seems like to small of a size margin to justify the expense of a new base size.

We also have the old Nexus prototype images showing them on scout bases....

Name:  bf110base.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  13.1 KB

Name:  bf110base2.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  15.6 KB
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 11-03-2012 at 02:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Scanetsu View Post
    Any chance to have a base with pegs that you can put on each other like the official one?
    I'm not interested in special altitude base, are they standard on what you create?
    In short, yes, the altitude rings are standard on my bases. However, if there was enough quantity ordered, I could do them without. Keep in mind that they would have pretty much the same issue as the official base of the pegs coming out during game play though.

Thanks Herr Oberst for summing things up nicely.
    That clears the problems I faced with "bigger" fighters.

I asked Ares about the size of the Me-110 and Beaufighter's bases.
    Let's see if they answer us.

Okay, here are the files you guys can use to design the bases that you want. They are PDFs that you can print out and draw/write on. They are over sized to allow accurate measurement translations.

Scout/Fighter bases

ScoutBaseLayout.pdf

Small Bomber bases

SmallBomberBaseLayout.pdf

Large Bomber bases

LargerBomberBaseLayout.pdf

Instructions

Single arc
    Draw the left half of the fire arc on the printed sheet starting outside the base (red outline) going to the center circle (red outline again). Starting with the upper left most grid intersection (this will be outside the base area), count down the number of grid lines and note the number that your fire arc line cross the outline of the base along the left side. Now count over the number of lines and note the number your fire arc line crosses the outline of the base along the top. This should give you some thing like 1,0 (for a standard front fire arc). This number is your Exit point. So, if you were recreating a standard front arc, you will give me the info like this:

Left Arc
    Start point: Center
    Exit point: 1,0

Right Arc
    Same

That would tell me the right half of the arc is the same.

Multi arc
    The bombers are done the same way, but we will often have to create a Start point. For this, just give me X and Y numbers instead of saying "Center" I'll also need to know which fire arc it is for and if it is a front or rear arc. Here is an example:

Arc 1 - Front
    Left arc
    Start point: 10,43
    Exit point: 24,0

Right arc
    Same

Arc 2 - Rear
    Left arc
    Start point: 44,30
    Exit point: 52,0

Right arc
    Start point: 44,30
    Exit point: 65,30

Arc 3 - Rear
    Left arc
    Start point: 56,44
    Exit point: 65,56

Right arc
    Start point: 56,44
    Exit point: 52,86

This would tell me that the front arc went from the center front of the base, to about 1/3 down the sides, kind of like this: ^

It would also tell me that there are two identical fire arcs in the rear, one to each side of the plane, covering from a little ways in front of the back corner of the base and straight back.

After you post your coordinates, I'll draw up the file and post it for you to approve.

Feel free to post any questions.

Nice Keith. I'll start working on these right away.

Please, if you have access to the Facebook page of Nexus do see this:

http://www.facebook.com/AresGames/po...t=feed_comment

Please, if you have access to the Facebook page of Nexus do see this:

http://www.facebook.com/AresGames/po...t=feed_comment
    Thanks Joaquim.

It might just be an english language thing, but Ares said the bases would be 'similar in size to'. This may mean 'close in size to' but not necessarily 'the same size'.

Name:  FB Ares.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  132.8 KB

I will put up another post on Facebook to try and get a final clarification.

Cheers,

Carl.

Thanks Carl! It might be better indeed.

I think the WWI small bomber base is going to be way to big for the twin engine WWII fighters (I'm pretty sure the He-111 and B-25 are on these). So, I would think that they may in fact be making a new "large fighter" base.

I think the WWI small bomber base is going to be way to big for the twin engine WWII fighters (I'm pretty sure the He-111 and B-25 are on these). So, I would think that they may in fact be making a new "large fighter" base.
    Possibly a square base 67mm x 67mm, or perhaps exactly halfway between the fighter and bomber bases - 67mm x 62mm. This would make sense, whilst not nimble the Bf110 and Beaufighters were certainly not 'lumbering' aircraft.

I do not believe the 'large fighter' base would apply to all twin engined fighters. The P38 Lightning for example is small and manouverable enough to warrant a single engine fighter base.

Time will reveal all, and Facebook may provide an answer earlier rather than later!

Did anyone work out firing arcs for the JU 88?

The WW2 Heinkel He-111 and B-25 are not the same size as the WWI small bomber base. I believe they are 86 x 77mm (vs 43 x 67mm for fighters, 86 x 67mm for WWI small bombers)

This appears to be the state of play.

Plane Type Base Width Base Depth Base size
    Fighter 43 mm 67mm WWI/II standard base
    Dive Bomber 43 mm 67mm WWI/II standard base
    Large Fighter 81/86 85mm 67 65mm WWI Small Bomber base
    Medium Bomber 81/86 110 mm 77 80 mm WWI Large Bomber base

For movement, only base depth is important, as this determines the base speed. Scale is apparently 1cm = ~ 50 km/h max speed.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 11-03-2012 at 04:00.

Did anyone work out firing arcs for the JU 88?
    Herr Oberst,

I have generated firing arc cards for the Ju88A-4 and Do17Z-2 based on the Heinkel He111H bases, images below:

Name:  Ju88 arcs.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  Do17Z arcs.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  73.3 KB
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 11-03-2012 at 06:16. Reason: Resized bases to 110mm x 80mm

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    The WW2 Heinkel He-111 and B-25 are not the same size as the WWI small bomber base. I believe they are 86 x 77mm (vs 43 x 67mm for fighters, 86 x 67mm for WWI small bombers)
    Yes, I was a little surprised about that. I had some custom Litko bases made at the same size as the small WW1 bomber bases for use with my WW2 bombers - and now they are too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I had some custom Litko bases made at the same size as the small WW1 bomber bases for use with my WW2 bombers - and now they are too small.
    Should still be usable for slower bombers such as B-10, Whitley, B-18, He-111B, Wellington

For me I would like to see bases for a Hudson, Ki48 and Blenhiem, thought for that one have all possible firing arch's marked out and the individual can paint in the arch's they want. For the Deffiant I use the base from the Rolland CII with rear gun only which works out good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Yes, I forgot to update the table above. However, the base size of the He111 and B-25 are not really new, they are the same size as the larger bomber bases from FoG. We have just not seen them in plastic until now.

the base size of the He111 and B-25 are not really new, they are the same size as the larger bomber bases from FoG.
    Aha! That makes sense. Do you have the exact size (down to the millimeter)?

Zoe:
    WGS bomber base: 80mm*110mm
    WGF bomber base: 65mm*85mm

I show the larger bomber base to be 81mm x 110mm. But as with all printed material, +/- a mm is more than normal.

Default Mitsubishi G4M1 'Betty' arcs

Here's another one for the G4M1 sized to 110mm x 80mm:

Name:  Mitsubishi G4M1 card.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  37.7 KB

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but did any Beaufighter or Me 110 bases ever get produced Herr Oberst?
    Rob.

No they did not Rob. But now that those planes are officially out, I'll make some up in my next production run (here in a few weeks).

Thanks Keith.
    With being a new boy on the WWII block I'm afraid I have a lot of back reading and catching up to do.
    Please bear with me on this.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. WGF How to: my own bases
    By petitbilbo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 17:17
  2. Balloon Bases
    By PilGrim in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 12:20
  3. Cloud Bases