Ares Games

Thread: Looking for some basic Jasta information.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

Default Looking for some basic Jasta information.

Can anyone help me?

I am looking for a resource that shows German Jasta histories and colour schemes so I can learn them.

G'Day Smitty,

What you're looking for is something of a nirvana! I haven't yet found all that information in a single source (could be a future book project then!). For 'potted' Jasta histories (generally about half a page of A5) and basic descriptions (with single B&W illustrations), try http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...sta-Pilots-The

Otherwise, you're into multiple sources, each giving you a bit of the jigsaw, but never the whole picture. I think part of the reason for the lack of an encyclopaedic history of the Luftstreitkrafte is the scarcity of original sources; some poorly documented originally, some not recorded in the confusion of the last weeks of the war, and some subsequently destroyed during WWII or lost in the chaos which followed. Additionally as a caution, Jasta markings sometimes changed with the arrival of a new commander, and individual markings also changed, sometimes very rapidly, on the whim of the 'owner'.

BofB
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 08-07-2012 at 04:45. Reason: sp, amplification

The book Baldrick lists is a pretty good starting point though. It's history is concise and it give the basic colors and markings of the Jasta. It does not get into individual plans though.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the information BofB and Keith. It gives me a starting point. I will also start with the "Jasta 1" Google search and see what it returns.

Exclamation

G'day Sean!
    Mate if you feel like "lashing out" there are a series of Osprey books in their Elite Aviation Unit series that cover a number of Jastas & JG's.
    Take a look on Amazon USA & the book review section of the Forum but some that I have are JG1, Jasta Bolcke, The Red Noses Jasta 18 & I think there is one on Bertholds JG available. They not only give the history of the units but there are heaps of B & W pics plus pages of Colour Profiles.
    They usually sell for between $22 & $30 US.

Sample of a cover is attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	55975

For basic information, although it doesn't give Jasta colours or emblems, our old friend Wiki does list quite a few Jastas.
    But if it's the colour schemes you are after best buy are the Osprey series of books.
    The Aces series will show side views of lots of different Jastas.
    If you got the spare cash also take a look at the Windsock Datafiles series. Dr1 Jastas and Jasta 5 especially

The Berthold book is in Osprey Aviation Elite Units series Sean.
    It is entitled "Jagdgeschwader Nr II Geschwader 'Berthold'" by Greg VanWyngarden. ISBN978-1-84176-727-7
    Rob.

Any Osprey book you get your hands on is a good source of information.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Any Osprey book you get your hands on is a good source of information.
    Well that doesn't *always* hold true (there are a few astounding duds in the Men At Arms range) but we're very lucky that the WWI aviation titles are almost universally top notch, and written by a "stable" of dedicated and very knowledgable historians (Franks, Revell, van Wyngarden etc.) I'm not that keen on the "Duel" books, but the Aircraft Of The Aces series are very good indeed, and the Aviation Elite Units verging on staggeringly so - I blooming love those books....

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

I guess I have a few $$$ to spend

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by smitty_au View Post
    I guess I have a few $$$ to spend
    And you wont regret it Sean!
    I go back to mine regularly. I have the 56 Sqd & 60 Sqd as well as the German ones I mentioned plus heaps of the Aces Series both British & German.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 08-10-2012 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I'm not that keen on the "Duel" books
    While not as in depth as the other books, I've found some info in them that I've not seen in any of the other books out there. Mainly stats like speed and climb at set altitudes and with different engines. Very helpful in that department.

If you are interested in Jasta 5, the Windsock Datafile Specials that Chris mentioned are prices...

Click on the covers to go to their respective pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I'm not that keen on the "Duel" books, but the Aircraft Of The Aces series are very good indeed, and the Aviation Elite Units verging on staggeringly so - I blooming love those books....
    I did not care too much for the first Duel book that I read either Dom, but once you have got used to the different format, there are some very good bits to be picked out of it.
    I do like the cockpit views, and the in depth evaluation of each machine which augments the overview given by the Elites.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

I just picked this up from the local library:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Abov.../9780948817731

It has a great deal of information that I am sure would be of use to those interested in the Central Powers units.

Happy to transcribe small portions if required (dont want to abuse copyright)..

Smitty,
    Almost all the Grub Street WWI books are listed in the Book Review section if you want an idea of their contents. Most of the Albatros Productions Windsock Datafile Specials on unit markings are there too.
    BofB