Ares Games

Thread: Prometheus, the movie

Default Prometheus, the movie

Yesterday we were in the movies to see Scott's Prometheus.
    Well, maybe I'm a moron, but wonder who of you who saw the film already can discover the plot of it?

Who can explain the first chapter, when the alien drinks the black stuff. For what? Where does it take place?

I must have a glass of wine...

The alien drinks at the waterfall on an Earth before the appearance of Homo Sapiens.

Certainly not Ridley Scott's greatest work - as I heard described by a critic "Alien for teenagers" (ie, with a short attention span and needing their attention to be re-engaged every few minutes). Still, quite enjoyable, and with room for at least another prequel to bring the timeline up to 'Alien'.

I thought so (it takes place on Earth before it was inhabited) - thanks .

Prometheus would be a major disappointment for me, weren't I already ready for it.
    The storyline is very poorly done.
    The characters are very weak.
    And there wasn't any need for trying to explain everything. it was a ill work to the 3 Aliens (I discount the 4th as being to bad to be true).
    The movie lived of special effects, no suspense, no real drama, nothing... The only true good scene is the self-made operation to take out the creature.
    But that's just my opinion...

Yep, a big letdown for me... and I was tricked into watching it in the first place!

Thanks chaps. Saved me the bother of watching it. More money for models, and G&T.

Rob.

Yes, I was not happy paying to see this one... and the one I got tricked into seeing was in 3D (which I pretty much hate) and cost $3 extra

"Nobody touch nuthin'"

Beep beep fiddle....

"What are you doing Dave?"

"Oh, nothing...(beep beep fiddle fiddle) oh look the door just opened"

Poor film

Oh look at the cute snakey thing! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHH!

Roll eyes

I was very disappointed in the film too. I watched it knowing that it wasn't meant to be a direct prequel to any of the Alien films, and thus made every attempt to evaluate it upon its own merits. But oh, it was painful...

Visually very pretty, and the 3D effects weren't over-the-top (unlike lots of films jumping on the 3D bandwagon). But pretty eye-candy does not make a film. The script was clunky, most of the characters were improbable and their actions even more so. The screenplay simply seemed to stagger like a Friday night drunk from one set-piece to another without much of an attempt to link them in any coherent way.

A lot of people are defending the film, advocating how thought-provoking it was, how it addressed huge issues. I don't buy it. Just because a film plays with the idea of the origins of human life (and other species for that matter) doesn't automatically make it deep. I didn't realise until after I'd seen the film and read more about it (I'd deliberately avoided doing so so as not to encounter spoilers) that I discovered the script had been written by Damon Lindelof - the man guilty of the series 'Lost'.

Michael Fassbender clearly stole the show. Charlize Theron was given a poor part that underused her. And Noomi Rapace, even allowing for the somewhat dodgy British accent... oh yes. I would.

To give an example of the quality scriptwriting that went into this big-budget blockbuster, Fassbender's character states that the crew have been in hypersleep for:
    "2 years, 4 months, 18 days, 36 hours, 15 minutes"
    Umm, what?
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 08-08-2012 at 02:36. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    To give an example of the quality scriptwriting that went into this big-budget blockbuster, Fassbender's character states that the crew have been in hypersleep for:
    "2 years, 4 months, 18 days, 36 hours, 15 minutes"
    Umm, what?
    I think the intergalactic space calender has longer days. I know the minutes felt longer watching that movie. lol

Thanks guys for saving me some money. One more to mark off my list.

Thomas

On further thought, having written the blurb a few minutes ago, I think it wouldn't be far off the mark to consider the film as "Whose Line Is It Anyway... In Space".

***** It might Contain spoilers - read at your own risk *****

Well, keeping up with high expectations, higher disappointment we have The Dark Knight Rises. After two excellent movies they had to blow the third one. And for this I went full of expectations. Bad move...

It goes very well until a certain point, and then it seems that someone took over the brain of the script-writers, producers and director and the story, acting and directing becomes worst than 3rd rate series...

They destroyed the character of Bane making him the lapdog of Marion Cotillard;
    Selina Kyle has the sensuality and animal tension of a lamp post in this movie;
    Batman returns after a life-changing experience without any particular change;
    They destroyed a character that has a lot of story with Batman just to make a cheap twist to the story (weakening in the process Bane's character). This character was used without any decent context whatsoever;
    The last scene with Cotillard is laughable as it is so bad;
    The end and the post climax resolutions are cheap and poorly directed.

My question is:
    With so much money, the possibility of so many, excellent writers reading and proofreading this script, why didn't anyone told Nolan: Cheesyyyy!!!

*Sights...*

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    With so much money, the possibility of so many, excellent writers reading and proofreading this script, why didn't anyone told Nolan: Cheesyyyy!!!
    Nolan's a hack; Bale can't act his way out of a wet paper bag; and bludgeoning the audience over the head with "the 99% versus the 1%" is about as entertaining as -- oh, I don't know -- taking the most stylish villain in the _Batman_ mythos, and turning him into a glorified hobo.

_The Expendables_ was a better superhero flick than the entire Nolan _Batman_ series combined.

The Expendables
    Now you're talking

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Nolan's a hack; Bale can't act his way out of a wet paper bag; and bludgeoning the audience over the head with "the 99% versus the 1%" is about as entertaining as -- oh, I don't know -- taking the most stylish villain in the _Batman_ mythos, and turning him into a glorified hobo.

_The Expendables_ was a better superhero flick than the entire Nolan _Batman_ series combined.
    I can't agree. The two first movies were above average.
    The expendables... I can't even go that way...

Similar Missions

1. Movie Zeppelin
    By Coog in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 14:59
  2. Another movie question
    By Fabric Flyer in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 05:45
  3. movie question
    By va beach ace in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 12:59
  4. For fun and because I loved this movie...
    By het in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 18:24
  5. Another Movie Biplane
    By Ducalutra in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 14:33