Ares Games

Thread: Printing Problems

Default Printing Problems

I have always had trouble printing base cards for my models. I can size the image using gimp to the right dimensions but when I print it, it comes out filling the whole page. This drives me nuts, it is not as though there is an obvious options to turn on or off in the advanced print menu. Is there a print program that will over ride the default print settings and print stuff in the image size without having to mess about with print scaling?

Sorry Gary, but I don't use Gimp to do my printing.

I put the images in a grid in a Open Office Draw file.

They print at whatever size I make the grid.

Name:  OODrawScreen2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  187.5 KB

Whatever I draw in I screenshot or copy into Word and scale in word. Works well for me. Plus you can make best use of the card used.

Thanks for your replies. I have found that I have to print out an image and then work out what percentage size to select to reprint it in colour. I have tried a whole heap of software to get around this. To my logic, if an image is say 6 x 4 then the print out should be 6 x 4 and not expanded to fill a page, but it does not work that way. Makes me grumpy but no biggy really.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I have always had trouble printing base cards for my models. I can size the image using gimp to the right dimensions but when I print it, it comes out filling the whole page.
    Are you saying you set the image size under the "image settings" print menu? That's where I set my dimensions to get it to print the right size. I also have to turn off double-sided printing on my printer to get the dimensions exact.

Hi and sorry for the delay in answering. What I meant was that if I have an image that is the correct sized image my printer will always try to print it in a larger size no matter what I do. The only way to get it right is to let it print what it wants then size it as a percentage through the printer's settings menu and reprint another copy. The printer totally ignores anything I set up within any paint/print programs on my PC and does it's own thing every time!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi and sorry for the delay in answering. What I meant was that if I have an image that is the correct sized image my printer will always try to print it in a larger size no matter what I do. The only way to get it right is to let it print what it wants then size it as a percentage through the printer's settings menu and reprint another copy. The printer totally ignores anything I set up within any paint/print programs on my PC and does it's own thing every time!
    Yeah I have the same problem with Microsoft Works.
    I tried another software system as well but the Print minue is limited to inbuilt sizes for photos so I can get close but not small enough!

Photoshop is my forte, but Gimp and other such programs should work much the same...

It sounds like the oversize printing is a printer driver issue, not the software. When you go to your printer options, or select "Print..." from the menu, have a look to see if you can a setting that says something like "Print to full sheet" or similar (basically a setting that stretches the image to as big as the printer can fit on the paper). This setting should be off.

As far as the preset sizes go, once the printer is printing exactly what you tell it at the size you tell it to, it shouldn't matter whether you're printing on something the size of a playing card or the side of a house (except you'd need to trim the latter down a bit more!). So aim to fit as much as you can on one sheet - whether it's the same image several times over, or lots of different ones tiled to make best use of the paper.

Thank you for the reply. Mine is a Samsung device and I have a Scaling Options selection box. I have mine set to None at the moment. There are many choices that relate to paper size there. Under it there is a percentage box where you can enter any size up to 100% as well. I have updated the driver and will try again :-)