Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irony

Good stuff guys!

And yes, it is pretty damn cool to see pics from another planet!

Of course its "cool" but the mission isn't about pictures (they are really about publicity and future funding - if NASA wasn't putting out the odd photo every now and then the vast majority of the public would have forgotten about this days ago). The really cool stuff involves things you won't see pictures of.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    The really cool stuff involves things you won't see pictures of.
    Which is why the pictures are the cool part for us.

Looking forward to hearing about the ice cold bits (one of my uni friends from years ago has experiments on the rover)

Yes, the ice clouds are very interesting.

The place where Curiosity landed is now entitled to Ray Bradbury the author of "The Martian Chronicles".

Attachment 58175

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    The place where Curiosity landed is now entitled to Ray Bradbury the author of "The Martian Chronicles".

Attachment 58175
    That is awesome because Bradbury is one of my favourite writers ever.

So now into SiFi. My favorite is Starship Troopers/Armour and the Foundation series. Such great minds and great literature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homer.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	58247

Well to show you where my mind is here is another book in my library. Note the price so it will tell you how old this book is.

I love the Odyssey. Kind of Scifi if we think about it...

My Scifi favourites ever are: Dune (the first 3 books are awesome), The Dispossessed, The Demolished Man, Tiger, Tiger, Startide Rising and Martian Chronicles.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Well to show you where my mind is here is another book in my library. Note the price so it will tell you how old this book is.
    Actually, I think the Odyssey is a somewhat older book than that price tag indicates...

/Niclas

But at the time of 1st Edition it was more expensive than 75cents, I guarantee you that, Niclas.
    I miss when books were cheap in Portugal. I was able to buy a lot of books. Now books are extremely expensive and the translations seem to be made by ignorant fools.

Hey its a paperback I bought years ago. Not written by Homer. I ment the price tells you how long I have had the book. A summer reading when in High School (maybe 1968).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    I love the Odyssey. Kind of Scifi if we think about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_31

They already thought of that one.

I have the distinct notion that I saw that animation series when I was a kid, but I can't completely recall it. But I much prefer this re-telling of the Odyssey:

Good news! Curiosity moved: 4 .5 meters forward, then a steering angle of 120 degrees and then again another 2.5 meters, all in 5 minutes. It's not exactly as fast as Bolt but it is a first great success.

Bad news! One of the two meteo probes (used to analyze the martian wind) is physically broken.

I have the distinct notion that I saw that animation series when I was a kid, but I can't completely recall it. But I much prefer this re-telling of the Odyssey:
    I'm also a fan of that movie.
    ...and of some other Homer derived art, such as Joyce's Ulysses.

/Niclas

Good news! Curiosity moved: 4 .5 meters forward, then a steering angle of 120 degrees and then again another 2.5 meters, all in 5 minutes. It's not exactly as fast as Bolt but it is a first great success.

Bad news! One of the two meteo probes (used to analyze the martian wind) is physically broken.
    Curiosity doesn't have to move fast, it just has to move along.
    Pity for the probes, but that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    I'm also a fan of that movie.
    ...and of some other Homer derived art, such as Joyce's Ulysses.

/Niclas
    Joyce's Ulysses... I only liked it when I finally read it in English. It's so full of different meanings that the translation I read in Portuguese was awful.

Joyce's Ulysses... I only liked it when I finally read it in English. It's so full of different meanings that the translation I read in Portuguese was awful.
    It always struck me as one of those books doomed to lose its soul in translation, so I've never even tried reading it in Swedish.
    Homer, on the other hand, is apparently much closer to the original in the latest translation than any English rendition. Though I'm not able to tell myself - Since the original text is all Greek to me.

/Niclas

Curiosity doesn't have to move fast, it just has to move along.
    Pity for the probes, but that's life.
    Put like that, Curiosity moving slowly across the surface of a distant planet suddenly becomes potent poetic image.
    In fact, curiosity moving at all speaks to me as a concept - I might try to work that into a lyric...
    Something like this, perhaps

Curiosity stumbled
    like drunk or half awake
    from shadow to shadow
    unable to slake
    or still, its wistful longing

/Niclas

my job requires high availability to ensure continuity of service I hope that the second probe will be able 'to ensure data I would be surprised to the contrary.
    About the speed is an Italian proverb that tells something like this: those who go slow and steady wins the race

Put like that, Curiosity moving slowly across the surface of a distant planet suddenly becomes potent poetic image.
    In fact, curiosity moving at all speaks to me as a concept - I might try to work that into a lyric...
    Something like this, perhaps

Curiosity stumbled
    like drunk or half awake
    from shadow to shadow
    unable to slake
    or still, its wistful longing

/Niclas
    I'll take your bait, Niclas.

Fourth Planet Thirsty

Drifter in a new world
    Like an amazing insect
    Does Curiosity dreams at night
    Of long forgotten Oceans?

Joaquim

my job requires high availability to ensure continuity of service I hope that the second probe will be able 'to ensure data I would be surprised to the contrary.
    About the speed is an Italian proverb that tells something like this: those who go slow and steady wins the race
    What is your job, Attilio?

I'll take your bait, Niclas.

Fourth Planet Thirsty

Drifter in a new world
    Like an amazing insect
    Does Curiosity dreams at night
    Of long forgotten Oceans?

Joaquim
    You scare me sometimes, Joaquim. There's a note in there of rings of old ones, not to be spoken of...

/Niclas

You scare me sometimes, Joaquim. There's a note in there of rings of old ones, not to be spoken of...

/Niclas
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

Lose 1d10 sanity...

Lose 1d10 sanity...
    Nope! I had my eyes closed and my hands in my ears. Moving slowly away avoiding eye contact as I prepare my little spell that the true master - The One with a Thousand Faces - imbued in me...

What is your job, Attilio?
    corporate messaging infrastructure design and deploying (high performances and zero downtimes). Not as much fun as sending a probe to Mars
    Last edited by Attila57; 08-25-2012 at 00:24.

Thanks Attilio. It all depends. The fun factor in a work can be measured in three pivot points: Pertinence of the work, Work atmosphere and Curiosity level. Two of these high and one low and you will have a funny work, even if a very mundane one. Of course that I'm not measuring working distance and personal factors (good health, etc.)
    But I had in the past a work of my dreams with a terrible working atmosphere and the feeling that I was working for nothing and it was awful. So sending probes to Mars might be a fantastic thing, but...

I agree Joaquim. Working atmosphere is really important ... I don't think that sending this probe hadn't been all plain sailing but participate in writing a page in the history of science I hope it satisfaction to those who participate (Whereas I also get some nice satisfaction in my work from time to time)

A sad news Neil Amstromg the first man on the moon dead at 82 In 60' I think he was sure to see a man on Mars before 2000.

Neil Armstrong passed away. A sad day for all the explorers of new worlds.

"A step for the first time lighter to any man
    A voyage for the first time to a farthest shore
    A dream dreamt for generations of men fulfilled
    A small step. The long step."

Joaquim.

Neil Armstrong passed away. A sad day for all the explorers of new worlds.

"A step for the first time lighter to any man
    A voyage for the first time to a farthest shore
    A dream dreamt for generations of men fulfilled
    A small step. The long step."

Joaquim.

Karl

Thanks Karl. You are most kind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12