Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woo...Hooo! Series 5 landed on my doorstep today!

Woohoo - just picked my 12 new Series 5 planes up from the local Post Office Depot. Arrived just in time for an afternoon of sorties with Von Paulus and Captain Hurst tomorrow

Lucky you, Brian! Where did you buy/order them?

Mine just came this morning. I know what I'll be doing tonight! They look pretty good. A little shiny as has been mentioned. The props and engine area seem to be metal. Makes them nose heavy, but nothing the gimbal mounts can't handle. I do believe I need start a campaign now!

They are great and can't wait to fly them. I think some of you painters will have a great time doing repaints.

WWI Series 5 landed at MY doorstep today!

Mine came today as well...in a crushed box. My reaction is lukewarm presently. The color schemes and paint quality are a little better than I thought but 6/12 beige models is irksome. The Moranes look more like toys than models...I wish they could have done one in silver to break things up. Be careful with the DH2s as the tail sections feel weak and the rear struts may break if the model is dropped. I think the decks are tad dark and the info is too small. Limited maneuvering options but I can see myself liking the tight turns.

Use a small flat head screwdriver to depress the insert tabs over the wings...the mini will come out easily. No more ripping off upper wings....Ya!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Use a small flat head screwdriver to depress the insert tabs over the wings...the mini will come out easily. No more ripping off upper wings....Ya!!!!
    Yes, I've always had to do that. It's certainly robust packaging, and absolutely necessary IMHO!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The Moranes look more like toys than models...I wish they could have done one in silver to break things up.
    I'm guessing that a quick matt varnish should help them look less toy-like. As for doing a silver one, umm, the minor hitch there would be that afaik Moranes were *never* aluminium doped - always CDL. Must admit I'd have preferred an RFC one rather than all three French, but Clear Doped Linen was always going to be the order of the day, whether they were French, British, or even Russian....

I use a butter knife, but the screwdriver sounds like a good idea too!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Lucky you, Brian! Where did you buy/order them?
    12-7 Games via the Interweb

I agree with Herr oberst,too toy like,maybe some drybrushing...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Knight View Post
    I agree with Herr oberst,too toy like,maybe some drybrushing...
    I'm not sure even that much will be needed to be honest; whenever the Blighty-bound container deigns to turn up, the first one out of my box will be getting a good blast with the Testors Dullcote. I strongly suspect that, and maybe a new pilot if I can remove the original easily enough for a Peter Pig replacement, is all that will actually be needed....

Series 5 has landed in Germany, with the Gothas in hot pursuit (couple of days more). I have to agree with the notion that the production quality has suffered in comparison to the older planes (glossy look, toy-like). Has anybody actually tried spraying the planes with a dull coat, and would you recommend that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I'm guessing that a quick matt varnish should help them look less toy-like. As for doing a silver one, umm, the minor hitch there would be that afaik Moranes were *never* aluminium doped - always CDL. Must admit I'd have preferred an RFC one rather than all three French, but Clear Doped Linen was always going to be the order of the day, whether they were French, British, or even Russian....
    Could have had a green one: http://www.memoryspot.com/proddetail.php?proid=raf004a

Berware of Russian Morane. Most of them could be actually I. According to some sources, maybe just a couple could be N - and maybe with skies?

http://ram-home.com/ram-old/morane-n.html

An I would not differ much as a miniature, but it would be quicker, climb better and fly different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12