Ares Games

Thread: Help! Hanriot HD.1 Scale?

Default Help! Hanriot HD.1 Scale?

After having spent some time producing templates of a Hanriot HD.1 using the 1/72 scale drawings from Windsock Datafile 92 and started cutting out parts for 6 minis, I realized that the wingspan differed between the front and top view. (Not happy!)

I then checked the 1/48 drawings and the difference was less there, but still existed.

What to do?

I checked the only other resource I had, which was Osprey's Italian Aces, there was a 1/48 drawing - which didn't match any in the Windsock file.

Fuselage length (total):
    - Windsock 1/48 a: 11.8 cm
    - Windsock 1/48 b: 11.4 cm
    - Osprey 1/48: 10.8 cm
    - Windsock 1/72 a: 8.3 cm
    - Windsock 1/72 b: 7.7 cm

If the length in its stats (5.84 m) is measured in the same way, approximate length should be (I think):
    1/48: 12.2 cm
    1/72: 8.1 cm

Any tips on how to handle this?

If the Windsock file was consequent, I could just recalculate and start anew (grrr...) - But as it is, I'm not sure which measurements to trust and thus how to recalculate what.
    The Osprey book doesn't have enough views to use.

/Niclas
    Last edited by Niclas; 07-28-2012 at 05:16. Reason: Typo on stat for length

Should it help at all (and I realise you have likely already checked everywhere!)

Jane's Fighting Aircraft of WWI, p114 lists: 5.85m length, 8.70m wingspan

and the source for the Hanriot Wiki page (namely Jane's Vintage Aircraft Recognition Guide, Holmes 2005) agrees - although I would consider these effectively to be the same source.

Niclas, are these going to end up at 1/144 scale? If so, I'm not sure if a couple of .01mm is going to matter that much. I doubt anyone is going to be measuring them with calipers. As it's the wingspan that is different from front view to plan view, would suggest roughly affixing a set of wings together using the longer dimension of the two and seeing how it looks. If it looks out of proportion, they you could always cut it back.

This is from Harleyford's "Fighters of World War 1"

The book gives the top wing span as 28ft 6”, chord 4ft 1”, bottom wing span as 24ft 3”, chord 3ft 9”. Length is 19ft 2” – I’ll leave you to do the math.

PM me your email if you want a 1/72 scale plan
    Last edited by Guntruck; 07-28-2012 at 05:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    Should it help at all (and I realise you have likely already checked everywhere!)

Jane's Fighting Aircraft of WWI, p114 lists: 5.85m length, 8.70m wingspan

and the source for the Hanriot Wiki page (namely Jane's Vintage Aircraft Recognition Guide, Holmes 2005) agrees - although I would consider these effectively to be the same source.
    I was guilty of a bit of a typo there. The actual stat I had for length was 5.84 m and that extra cm won't bother even me when scaled down to 1/144.

I had also written mm where I meant cm. Just goes to show that you shouldn't post when your upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Niclas, are these going to end up at 1/144 scale? If so, I'm not sure if a couple of .01mm is going to matter that much. I doubt anyone is going to be measuring them with calipers. As it's the wingspan that is different from front view to plan view, would suggest roughly affixing a set of wings together using the longer dimension of the two and seeing how it looks. If it looks out of proportion, they you could always cut it back.
    The difference on the wing was actually quite significant. You could see that something was not right, even from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    This is from Harleyford's "Fighters of World War 1"

PM me your email if you want a 1/72 scale plan
    Thanks, Steve!

I found that one on the web, but it didn't have scale noted so I couldn't use it as a template.

/Niclas

Niclas,
    The drawings on page 16certainly seem to be overscale, particularly when you compare the front view with the HD2 on page 21.
    BofB

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Niclas,
    The drawings on page 16certainly seem to be overscale, particularly when you compare the front view with the HD2 on page 21.
    BofB
    Yes, but 16 is less overscale than 17 is underscale. I'll need to do some work to figure out what measurements to use. The plan from Gunners will be of great help in this - Working with layers I can work out how much I should reduce/increase each drawing to have proper 144. Pretty annoying to have to start over, but at least now there's hope again.

Of course it would be much easier to use just the plan from Gunners, but the Windsocks drawings have a lot of extra detail that I really want to get at.

/Niclas

Default Classy response by Albatros

I mailed Albatros Productions about the problems I was having and received not only an explanation and an apology, but also instructions on how to correct the scale in the different drawing - And measurements for 1/144 scale.
    I call that a very classy response to a complaint - Especially one that, if I'm totally honest, wasn't too overly polite (I was a bit upset over having done a lot of work for nothing - and I really shouldn't write mails when I'm angry).

/Niclas

Niclas,
    A great result. I've always found teh customer service from Ray, Angie & Co at Albatros to be first-rate, and that stretches back over 20 years now.
    BofB