Ares Games

Thread: The Penultimate Zeppelin!

Default The Penultimate Zeppelin!

I have promised, I have now delivered!

Imagine a 1/144" scale German Zeppelin fully playable that would also hold inside its vast cavernous interior not a few but 25 minis! Each in their own boxes, along with all the game play parts, rulers, damage decks, etc, etc!

And what it if also could swallow up 2 new bombers! In their boxes!

And it is rigid, strong, self storing, shippable and a blast to play! Complete with telescoping legs, a plexi-glass base to boot!

Oh and did you want it all for under $25 US?

Tune in tomorrow skysters and it shall be so! At last a Zeppelin for the masses! Stay tuned!

Clipper unhinged. . .

You had better put a patent on it.
    It sounds too good to be true.

Ken

I can't wait to see this.
    Do you get a free promotional Elf with it Dave?
    Rob.

Can't wait,staying tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    You had better put a patent on it.
    If he does, I deserve a cut for suggesting it in the first place. :)

He, he, he, its ready for tomorrow, got too giddy watching the Mars landing tonight . . .
    Clipper beginning to surface

Actually, Chris, IIRC *I* had posted the thought of a Zeppelin mini-carrier first... :P

Is this an L59? Or more like L72, or are we cheating and fast-forwarding to the Graf, Akron/Macon or Hindenburg?

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    He, he, he, its ready for tomorrow, got too giddy watching the Mars landing tonight . . .
    Clipper beginning to surface
    Well you will just have to crack the whip on those Elves a bit more to make up the time.
    I have been sidetracked myself by the Olympic Games and the Test Match with South Africa this last week.
    Rob.

This I have got to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Well you will just have to crack the whip on those Elves a bit more to make up the time.
    I have been sidetracked myself by the Olympic Games and the Test Match with South Africa this last week.
    Rob.
    Still trying to get my head round the fact that Andy Murray won something for once........

(Sited in his favourite chair, balancing back and forth, humming a little song, patiently waiting.)

Like a child waiting for Christmas.
    Like a dog with his head between the bars of the gate waiting for his owner.
    Like the... damn... come on David!!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Oh, man, it is awesome! I've seen it with my own eyes, held it in my own hands! What I can't believe is that he actually did it! A 1/144 scale zepp that holds internally 25 of my boxed mini's and 2 of the ARES bombers, plus pegs, stands and card decks! All for under $25? I didn't think he could do it, I thought he was crazy to even try it. His solution...you will have to see it to believe, just like I did on Friday last.

Gee! Under $$25?! How much to send it to Portugal.
    Joaquim getting mad with the idea...

I can't wait to see it.

Don't get mad, get glad!

The simple idea is good.

It creates a complicated solution.

The storage of minis is significant, keeping all their bits together is challenging of itself. Then there are the support bits, the measuring sticks, matts, cockpits, score cards and the list grows every time you play the game, more stuff!

Once you outgrow the cool foam tray bags and cannot afford to hire the attendants to carry them into the game site any longer you begin to flounder in the game and it becomes a race to store all your bits! Sad when the game needs you the most you are driven into the wilderness of storage acquisition.

So my solution is possible both an answer and a move of commercial enabling. You decide.

Now I know my twisted sense of reality is often offensive to many, and to offend anyone is the last thing on my mind, (but it may be in the list) I will keep you in suspense no longer.

The simple solution, like all simple solutions is right in front of us all along. One can quite readily and quickly acquire the need items and construct your own within a few hours, and then enjoy like Hunter and I did Friday, countless hours of Zeppelin fun!

So now, (drum roll) I present you with the first truly practical airship/storage unit/transport device/shock resistant/postable/and very playable, (did I say cool?), the Penultimate Zeppelin!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!

!!!!!!

!!!!!

!!!!

!!!

!!

!

It starts off life as humble Super Submarine Sandwhich Box, but fold it inside out, add the foam cross braces for the mounting stand and you have a hull!

A handful of permanent markers and an evening of staying in the lines and you can have ANY Zeppelin you want!

Color the top, sides, and don't forget the bottom for all the victims you bomb!

And enjoy hours of sorting your minis inside with all that room! Penultimate Coolness! All for under $25 US! Box @ $6, Markers @ $5, Base @ $10, Bits @ $4. Coolness? Priceless!!!!!!!!

Clipper and Hunter drifting off into the sunset . . .

Sorry guys, couldn't resist, I just lost my dog and the G & T was calling me . . .

Clipper in rehab

Ah, the Volvo of the skies**

Actually, Chris, IIRC *I* had posted the thought of a Zeppelin mini-carrier first... :P

Now, actually I'd just like to point out that *I*......
    had absolutely nothing to do with this idea whatsoever

**Crazy people might remember this

Muhahahahaha!

Joaquim already ordered one...

Send one to Portugal, but please without the sub inside.

Falls off barstool for a totally different reason than normal.
    PEN ULTIMATE indeed.
    Kyte

Awesome!! Absolutely awesome!! I need to grab a box like that!!

But... now... one serious question, where do you store the base?!

Ha! Even the base fits inside : ) Working on a water proof protective covering and maybe this time eliminate the whole hydrogen thing, that seems to have been a big problem . . .

And the free-hand drawing is excellent. You never stop amazing me, David.
    What else do you do?
    What else do you hide in your workshop beside beautiful planes?
    Show and tell us.
    I bet that everyone here would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Ah, the Volvo of the skies** :)
    It doesn't look like a Volvo -- it looks like a[DEAR READERS: At this point, the post has to be Heavily Censored. Any female Fourm viewers are requested to place a black cloth over the monitor, and turn away from the screen. Thank you.] owowowowowowowowowowstophittingmeowowowihopesomeone'sgettingavideoofthisowowowow....

I did seriously look into the paper model suggested, bought one, quite an engineering feat as well as modeling, but there are over several hundred paper card parts and my experience with trying to do too many things for convenience does not play out in the long run. Having worked in the engineering world creating all kinds of machines of all sizes and environs, the drawers, folds, and pockets just don't do it IMHO. It is a challenge to haul all your stuff to the games, but there have been many very effective and efficient concepts out there and on here in the threads. My advice is to save the $ for minis and recycle the ubiquitous containers our world tosses out every day, and get on with the games!

Clipper slipping out of recovery and looking at the HP V1500 . . .

What one man finds easy another finds impossible. Diversity is of the essence, my friend.

It doesn't look like a Volvo -- it looks like a[DEAR READERS: At this point, the post has to be Heavily Censored. Any female Fourm viewers are requested to place a black cloth over the monitor, and turn away from the screen. Thank you.] owowowowowowowowowowstophittingmeowowowihopesomeone'sgettingavideoofthisowowowow....
    Now, now, play nice Chris

LOL It's a cheat, but a clever one... Nice BUFF in the background, BTW!

The BUFF was a memory of Fairchild AFB Days . . . .

Can I have a pint of what Clippers been having please

Bravo sir ! I applaud your ingenuity.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Now, now, play nice Chris :)
    Oh, come now -- I cannot be the only _Goon Show_ fan on here:

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_s...quatermass_obe :

Greenslade:
    All night, preparations to explode the Thing continued. For miles around, people had to be evacuated.

FX:
    [Knock on door; door opens]

Cynthia [seductive]:
    Yes? What is it?

Quatermass:
    Oh, I… I’m terribly sorry to knock you up so late. Ha ha.

Cynthia:
    They all say that.

Quatermass:
    I’m afraid you have to be evacuated.

Cynthia:
    [Embarrassed surprise] Oh! Come in. I’ll just pack a few things.

Quatermass:
    Well, I… I…

Greenslade:
    At this point the script was heavily censored. But we leave the ensuing silence for the listeners to imagine what followed. [Pause]

Bloodnok:
    You filthy swines! Back to your own beds, now!

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_s..._desert_statue :

Greenslade:
    ...It would be appreciated if old ladies with binoculars would all listen with your backs to the wireless or place a dark cloth over the speaker.

Just keep walking backwards to Christmas, but watch out for the precipitous drop.

David I am sorry for your loss. Mine was 18 years old and my baby. I can see why you had other thought. Great idea for a transport box.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Just keep walking backwards to Christmas, but watch out for the precipitous drop.
    Ah yes Ned lad!
    Rob.