Ares Games

Thread: Painting advice?

Default Painting advice?

Cheers!
    I've just received my first FUD models from Shapeways. They look really good, except for some harsh edges that were easily cleaned by water sand-paper.
    However, painting is proving to be difficult: a spray applied grey primer coat didn't hold well, looks like it's hard for enamel paint to get grip on the surface. I remember I've read about this problem with FUD material. Any advice to solve it?
    thanks!

It is a little difficult to get primer to adhere to the FUD models. I've had better luck after lighting scrubbing them with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. I then wash them in hot soapy water. I've also started praying a flat clear coat over the primer as well. If it helps, I use Vallejo paints and primers.

I to have found PRAYING very helpful when things go bad.
    Linz

Smile

My only FUD model was my Sop Triplane & I only washed it in luke warm water & mild detergent & then applied a number of coats of Vellejo Brown Violet with no undercoat.

Pic attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sop Triplane rear side.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	54716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sop Triplane RHS front.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	54717

Barry, did you do any masking over your initial paint coats? From my experience, it's the masking tape that pulls the paint off.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Barry, did you do any masking over your initial paint coats? From my experience, it's the masking tape that pulls the paint off.
    No Keith just put on the Decals & coated with GW Matt varnish & did the Cowling in Gloss Varnish to get a more metallic look.

thanks guys. after some soap and scrub it seems paint is finally taking grip

I always wash in soapy water first, then put on 3 coats of watered down PVA glue (over 3 sessions), then 3 coats of watered down matt white paint as an undercoat (over another 3 sessions). Works for me, even if taking a fair bit of time to do.

That's on FUD Nigel?
    What an Elmer FUD I am. No Keith, I have only used WSF. I lost track of the topic. I admit in private to having the attention span of a chocolate doughnut - which is a bit less than a goldfish - but don't tell anybody...

BUT if I did get a plane in other than WSF, I probably would try the above technique anyway...

I thought that might have been the case. I think doing the filler layers on FUD would ruin the smooth finish you pay extra for in this material.

Thumbs up

I thought that might have been the case. I think doing the filler layers on FUD would ruin the smooth finish you pay extra for in this material.
    Yes I agree Keith you would spoil the detail with all the fill used on WSF.