Ares Games

Thread: Handley page HP O/400

Default Handley page HP O/400

I still got a Shapeways HP O/400 waiting to be painted... The problem is that I tried to mix the appropriate "green" but it always seems slightly "off".

So I was wondering if you, distinguished gentlemen, could give me a few pointers on how you painted your Hp's or rather where did you get the right paint or how did you mix it ?

Every tip will be appreciated!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

On my Shapeways 0/400's I use Vellejo 'buff' for the undersides, the rest of the surface I use Vellejo 'flat brown' mixed with a (very) little 'olive'. Not much 'olive' as those 0/400's were more brown than green. Interior's I use either Vellejo 'leather' or 'red leather' mixed with 'old wood' or 'tan' for the seats. Propellers it's 'new wood' on the blades and 'gunmetal' on the hubs. Struts is 'new wood' and everything else is pretty straight forward. Hope this helps.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

As usual I'll pitch in with "PC10 is far more brown than green".... My preferred mix is 2 parts Vallejo Russian Uniform to 1 part Vallejo Burnt Umber. This gives just a hint of green in there, but overall a brown colour. As an idea of how "green" they were, this is the nose art cut off of an HP O/400, now at Hendon:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...gham/a1-24.jpg

Note that the tail number is I believe from the same aircraft, indicating just how variable an effect wear and tear could have. I'd guess that's pretty close to Vallejo Brown Violet, which might be a good pick for a factory-fresh paint job - generally exposure seems to have shifted the colour to looking less green and more brown, as well as simply fading it.

Dom.

PS - The odd couple of O/400s really were green used for testing the NIVO colour scheme (Night Invisible Varnish Somewhereorother) which was a very dark green. Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green is supposed to be a good match for this, but afaik it wasn't used as a standard colour on the HPs, just a couple of trial aircraft.

PPS - I'd do the undersides in the same PC10, not buff - they were NIGHT bombers, so it didn't take long to work out that a 100 foot off-white cross in the sky was kinda conspicuous - you often see artwork of them with clear doped linen undersides, but photos don't support that very often, if at all....

PPPS - The chunk of wing from another aircraft looks darker (may just be the lighting; it's in storage, not displayed) but again very much more brown than green. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...gham/a5-22.jpg (Also worth noting the relatively tiny roundels; sub-sized markings were usual on HPs, full "fits the wing" roundels much rarer.) OK, I'm definitely done now....
    Last edited by Dom S; 08-02-2012 at 05:04.

All valuable information gentlemen...thanks !

Exclamation

For what its worth here is my HP 0/400 painted all over PC 10.
    As stated above most pics of Aircraft in service were overall PC 10.
    My mix was Privateer Press Battlefield Brown with some GW Dark Angels green mixed until I thought it looked right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGF HP 0 400 1.jpg  Views: 48  Size: 171.4 KB  ID: 55449" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGF H P 0 400 A.jpg  Views: 48  Size: 141.7 KB  ID: 55448" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Thanks for the pics Barry... Now I have something to compare my "mix" to
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 11-07-2012 at 02:28.

Looks fine to me Barry.
    Yet another very well finished bird.
    Rob.

My take on it - note somewhat greener Tripehound in background

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    As usual I'll pitch in with "PC10 is far more brown than green".... My preferred mix is 2 parts Vallejo Russian Uniform to 1 part Vallejo Burnt Umber. This gives just a hint of green in there, but overall a brown colour. As an idea of how "green" they were, this is the nose art cut off of an HP O/400, now at Hendon:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...gham/a1-24.jpg

Note that the tail number is I believe from the same aircraft, indicating just how variable an effect wear and tear could have. I'd guess that's pretty close to Vallejo Brown Violet, which might be a good pick for a factory-fresh paint job - generally exposure seems to have shifted the colour to looking less green and more brown, as well as simply fading it.

Dom.

PS - The odd couple of O/400s really were green used for testing the NIVO colour scheme (Night Invisible Varnish Somewhereorother) which was a very dark green. Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green is supposed to be a good match for this, but afaik it wasn't used as a standard colour on the HPs, just a couple of trial aircraft.

PPS - I'd do the undersides in the same PC10, not buff - they were NIGHT bombers, so it didn't take long to work out that a 100 foot off-white cross in the sky was kinda conspicuous - you often see artwork of them with clear doped linen undersides, but photos don't support that very often, if at all....

PPPS - The chunk of wing from another aircraft looks darker (may just be the lighting; it's in storage, not displayed) but again very much more brown than green. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...gham/a5-22.jpg (Also worth noting the relatively tiny roundels; sub-sized markings were usual on HPs, full "fits the wing" roundels much rarer.) OK, I'm definitely done now....
    All right! Got some new ideas/schemes to try.