Ares Games

Thread: Blimp Madness!

Default Blimp Madness!

Madness lurks on the Historical Thread. . .

A simple photo of camouflaged blimps lurked there, a few sheets of lozenge stickers slipped near, a cup of coffee, a bad day at the office, no one around to bug you, then the madness begins.

The job looks daunting until you remember your Geometry Classes, the blimp is a simple solid that can be dissected into gores, so a bit of card stock, a pencil, a pair of scissiors, but wait! There on the blimp itself are the very gore outlines you need! Step closer the web . . .

A quick test of the material and the gore outline . . . next to peel the rudders off, just a slight bit of wiggling made them loose and then a slight pop! And they are off! So it went with the lines and basket unit

The rigging looks like a YES stage sculpture

Fins removed and the first few bottom lozenge gores placed and rubbed down firmly, oh by the way use a colored permanent marker to color the edges of the lozenge stickers, a color that matches the lozenge.

A few more light gores and the bottom is nearly finished. Fins need a few smaller triangles to cover them. The entire bottom fin is light lozenge, whilst the upper fins are light on bottoms and dark on top

Upper gores are cut from the darker lozenge starting from the last light one to the top one side at a time, placing the center one last.

Test mount the rudders and enjoy the look!

Hard to see the fine pattern well in the photos

Give all the laps a good burnishing with the smooth x-acto handle

Lay the rigging unit over the new blimp surface and cut through the lozenge for the rigging tabs, snap the rigging in place, and cement in place when its all looking right

Add the needed German Crosses on each side, I also make these from the same inkjet label paper

Here it is next to the standard unit, you can see the madness with your own eyes . . .

Looking for that something new for the battlefield?

Got a few boring blimps boxed in the basement?

There are a few even nicer looking lozenges out there, where did I put my yellow blimp?

Five hours, lotsa coffee later, is it madness, or is it just a personality quirk? Now back to the BOMBERS!
    Clipper drifting off . . . .

Woah! Very nice! It would stand out on any tabletop, except it blends in, because of the camo.

Your production skills are amazing!

Thumbs up

Supurb Clipper.

So glad I posted those pics of the Balloons.

Me too, now I gotta make a half dozen balloons like this from scratch, the real ones are a bit rare. But not till the bombers and zepps clear the bench!
    Clipper painting 60 props . . . 60? Yep!

The elves are on a chocolate strike.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I am very glad I let you experiment on my drachen. You did a fabulous job, it was worth the risk! I can't wait to get it back Friday. Rep point (as if you need anymore!) on the way. Are you going to cover one for your collection?

That looks fantastic! I had doubts at the start of the thread, but once more you have produced the goods! Please forgive my lack of faith...

Dave

Great job on the blimp... madness is a bit of an understatement here isn't it?

Wow looks very good

Very nice work

Very nice it realy stands out. I like it

Not sure if it's blimp or lozenge madness - It's produced a great looking result though!

/Niclas

Very snazzy Dave - way better than the brown plastic finish !

In the past I said that Clipper was on my pantheon of Gods. I was wrong. I created a Pantheon in the Pantheon all to himself.
    What more there is to say here?!

The gores were key as well as the molded in grooves on the model surface. By applying the gores and making first contact on the center line, then checking for alignment and 1/32" over lap, I pressed the gore in place from the middle out and then used a pressure/pushing force to press the gore into place. A run of my fingernail into the grooves soaked up much of the excess and cut down on the wrinkling considerably. There are a few wrinkles but there were a lot more on the real thing! After it set over night I repressed any loose edges with a bit of glue and then gave it an over all heavy coat of clear gloss sealer, then a final dull coat. That has kept everything nice and stuck. More madness to follow . . . Clipper has to go to "real" work now

Relapse!

I just could not help myself, all that darker lozenge laying about and one more brown blimp floating just off the horizon of my work area.

This time it was only a 3 hour project, second time around is faster.

Higher contrast day/night lozenge this time.

The G & T supply is a bit touched, may have to lay in some more stock if this happens again, must be the elves . . . Clipper rising!

Just a great big thank you for the "How To". That is magnificent work David, even though it may be bad for your elf in the long term. Just mainline them some chocky, they will be fine in no time.
    Rob.

Great How-To, as usual. I'm surprised the Germans didn't try this with any Zeppelins.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Great How-To, as usual. I'm surprised the Germans didn't try this with any Zeppelins.
    Karl
    Oh no - Now you've done it, Karl!
    You just can't challenge the Clipper like that...

/Niclas

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Oh, I'm sure they're going to attempt something now! If you know what I mean, especially utilizing the talents of our POW Herr Klipper, der Haarschneidemaschine!

Madness is only a short step away from utter genius! Mwahahahaha

Karl
    Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Oh no - Now you've done it, Karl!
    You just can't challenge the Clipper like that...
    /Niclas
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Oh, I'm sure they're going to attempt something now! If you know what I mean, especially utilizing the talents of our POW Herr Klipper, der Haarschneidemaschine!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BIG WINK.gif 
Views:	131 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	55239

Oh yeah! A lozenged Zeppelin! Gotta have one now! Thanks! Lets see, that would take around 12-15 sheets of lozenge and a set of ink cartridges, maybe $60. That's only lunch for 10 days, yeah I think I can do that! Now to the Zep Cave! Minions and Elves gather for the evening rally, we have a challenge . . .
    Clipper sounding the depths of sanity (scary? you should see the Zep Cave, spiders there do not venture)

gb030104

lovely job

I'm trying to train some elves... They aren't cooperating...

Haven't been able to catch any. They're all hiding at the bottom of the garden...

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    I'm trying to train some elves... They aren't cooperating...

I bet you got Irish leprechauns instead of Elves
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Von Butlar.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	55463
    The place to go for good quality Elves is right here in G.B.

You can't beat the National Elf Service for quality workers.

Rob.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nationalelfservicecartoon.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	55464

Up here, we have House Beavers.

(Mythological Note: Most myths re Dwarves have them as "solitary", "hide when humans show up", "hard-working", "short", "hairy", "shaped like stout humans", and "make stuff". Sounds an awful lot like a beaver, doesn't it? ;) )

Bummer! I tried taping some lozenge on a zeppelin hull and it looked like it was Christmas wrapped, definitely not cool and threatening. This is getting plain goofy, but my Sheltie might look good in lozenge . . . Hm maybe the spiral lozenge then . . .
    Clipper seeing a paisley lozenge pattern, or is it a 70's flashback?

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Groovy!

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Bummer! I tried taping some lozenge on a zeppelin hull and it looked like it was Christmas wrapped, definitely not cool and threatening. This is getting plain goofy, but my Sheltie might look good in lozenge . . . Hm maybe the spiral lozenge then . . .
    Groovy!
    /Niclas
    Hmmm.... hang a disco ball from the gondola, and play some ABBA as backround music
    Karl

Hmmm.... hang a disco ball from the gondola, and play some ABBA as backround music :D
    Karl
    DEATH BEFORE DISCO!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    DEATH BEFORE DISCO!
    Only if your lucky; usually, it's death after a painful experience with disco
    Karl

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

DEATH BEFORE DISCO!
    How right you are, sir!

But, ABBA is !

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    But, ABBA is :cool:!
    ABBA = Disco = LARGE AXES AND RAGING SEAS OF FLAME. :)

ABBA = Disco = LARGE AXES AND RAGING SEAS OF FLAME.
    No, I can't remember there being any large axes in Disco - But then I did try to stay well away from it, so I may very well be mistaken.
    Perhaps it was different in the US anyway - It was, after all, the home of Disco.

/Niclas

we have been trying to play that down . . . sadly it's our own people who keep bringing it back up . . .

Well, Disco is like anything else, a way of becoming amazed with the possibilities of Humanity. Probably as hard to pull out as to put a rover in Mars...

ABBA = Disco = LARGE AXES AND RAGING SEAS OF FLAME.
    Nah, your thinking of metal, Chris.
    Actually, while I would have NOTHING to do with Disco, I rather like ABBA (must be my Swedish blood)
    Karl

I'm ridiculously Swedish, but I must admit to never having been that into ABBA - They were always a bit too "nice" (their fan base over here were mostly young girls).
    Over time, I've grown to respect them a lot for their songwriting ability though. Almost everything they produced were more or less perfectly put together - And catchy to boot. And some of the stuff, like "The Winner Takes it All", is so incredibly strong that they'll probably keep winning new fans for some time yet (even though they split up three decades ago).
    And even if they broke through during the Disco era, and some of the songs are undeniably Disco, they were never really a Disco act as such. At least to the Swedish market, they had been around for a while before Disco - and survived for a bit after.

/Niclas

I'm ridiculously Swedish, but I must admit to never having been that into ABBA - They were always a bit too "nice" (their fan base over here were mostly young girls).
    Over time, I've grown to respect them a lot for their songwriting ability though. Almost everything they produced were more or less perfectly put together - And catchy to boot. And some of the stuff, like "The Winner Takes it All", is so incredibly strong that they'll probably keep winning new fans for some time yet (even though they split up three decades ago).
    And even if they broke through during the Disco era, and some of the songs are undeniably Disco, they were never really a Disco act as such. At least to the Swedish market, they had been around for a while before Disco - and survived for a bit after.

/Niclas
    Not into ABBA, but I agree with all you've stated.

No, I can't remember there being any large axes in Disco
    As in "Hewn asunder with, and cast into a".

Which is where Metal enters into it -- where else are we going to get the Large Axes and Raging Seas Of Flame for the hewing-asunder and casting-into? :)

There are some other genres almost as bombastic out there

"...And the devil in black dress watches over
    My guardian angel walks away
    Life is short and love is always over in the morning
    Black wind come carry me far away

With the sunlight died and night above me
    With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside
    You run for cover in the temple of love
    You run for another it's all the same
    For the wind will blow and throw your walls aside..."

(That one's by Sisters of Mercy - No axes, but at least there's a gun...)

/Niclas