Ares Games

Thread: Sopwith Triplane Armament

Default Sopwith Triplane Armament

Greetings All
    I recently got to fly a Sopwith Triplane at a gaming convention last friday. This Tripe was attributed to R.N.A.S pilot Collinshaw.
    The Tripe had two vickers machine guns. Was this a personal modification, at Collinshaws request. Were other Tripes also carrying two
    vickers? I have only seen pictures of Tripes with one vickers. Does any one know of other dual vickers armed Tripes?

Bob aka Yankeedog

Rob,
    It was a trial version of the Triplane, if my understanding of the situation is correct. I noted this in this thread: WGF Series 6. RCBoater responded, and provided a book reference, if you want to check the history yourself.

As noted in the above thread link, I bought 5 "Little" Triplanes to paint up as the RNAS 10 "Black Flight" group (all single gunned Tripes).

Mike

From memory, there were three Triplanes with 130hp engines and 2 MGs in Collishaw's squadron. Climb suffered from the extra weight, but otherwise they performed well. The triplane was removed from service mostly because of problems with maintaining it - accessibility to certain areas was poor, and required disassembly - and because the Camel without these faults, was becoming available.

Thanks to OldGuy59, Baldrick62, and Zoe. Well I scored two victories with the tripe. I will have to get one now. Good hunting all.

yankeedog

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedog View Post
    Greetings All
    I recently got to fly a Sopwith Triplane at a gaming convention last friday. This Tripe was attributed to R.N.A.S pilot Collinshaw.
    The Tripe had two vickers machine guns. Was this a personal modification, at Collinshaws request. Were other Tripes also carrying two
    vickers? I have only seen pictures of Tripes with one vickers. Does any one know of other dual vickers armed Tripes?

Bob aka Yankeedog
    At which Convention did you play ?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Howdy Cowman
    The convention was Historicon 2013, at Frederickburg, Virginia. The scenario was Dogfight over the Trenches. Bill Michaels hosted the game.

Yankeedog

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedog View Post
    Howdy Cowman
    The convention was Historicon 2013, at Frederickburg, Virginia. The scenario was Dogfight over the Trenches. Bill Michaels hosted the game.

Yankeedog
    Noted... and welcome to the forums!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Noted... and welcome to the forums!
    Take a look here Ken.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...3225#post53225

I keep on doing that as well.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    From memory, there were three Triplanes with 130hp engines and 2 MGs in Collishaw's squadron. Climb suffered from the extra weight, but otherwise they performed well. The triplane was removed from service mostly because of problems with maintaining it - accessibility to certain areas was poor, and required disassembly - and because the Camel without these faults, was becoming available.
    Zoe:
    Is there enough data to warrent altering the climb rate of the twin-gunned Tripehound?
    Karl

Ray Collishaw said "Six experimental models were in fact fitted with twin Vickers, and I was fortunate enough to obtain one of these before leaving "Naval 10". ....I found, in fact, that although there was a definite loss in performance above 10,000ft, it was relatively slight, and having twice the firepower at my command that I had before made a big difference." from Sopwith Triplane aces of World War One. Norman Franks.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Ray Collishaw said "Six experimental models were in fact fitted with twin Vickers, and I was fortunate enough to obtain one of these before leaving "Naval 10". ....I found, in fact, that although there was a definite loss in performance above 10,000ft, it was relatively slight, and having twice the firepower at my command that I had before made a big difference." from Sopwith Triplane aces of World War One. Norman Franks.
    Spoken from one of the greatest himself. Good enough for me.

Similar Missions

1. Sopwith Triplane in Calgary
    By JMSwallow in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 03:59
  2. WSF Sopwith Triplane
    By Wombat in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 14:53
  3. Sopwith Triplane paint job
    By flash in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20