Ares Games

Thread: My new 144 scale project!

Smile My new 144 scale project!

I just received my 144 scale Martin Maryland from Shapeways!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8020024.jpg   P8020019.jpg   P8020026.jpg  

Rich,
    Thanks for that. It was a model I was considering, but on the strength of your pics, I think I'll stick with the Altaya/IXO diecast, though it'll need some repainting for 69 Sqn on Malta. I picked mine up for under £10 on EvilBay.
    BofB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCA93CGP5.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	55447

Can't wait to see the finished model. Have to tell you I have been to the place where they were built. Glenn Martin plane in Middle River. Got free reign of the place one nightto learn my way around and was told about the tunnels leading to the workers places across the street. Was pretty neet being there.

Hi Rich,

The Maryland looks sweeeet!!! Looking forward to the finished product.

I have ordered two in 1/200 scale, to be completed as Vichy French Glenn Martin 167F aircraft of Groupe de Bombardment 1/39 during the 1941 Syrian Campaign.

Cheers,

Carl.

Interesting model, Richard.

I'm curious, how it looks when finished.

It is a work in progress! The finish is rough and i have been working on that with a four grit foam nail brush. I started with the coarsest and working my way down. That helped next i will prime it and file some more. The model is hollow in the fuselage and as far out as the engine nacelles i may drill out the smaller windows and use Testors Clear Parts and Window Maker on them!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Is your 1/144 scale Maryland WSF?

Being my first Shapeways aircraft I bought FUD hoping for a better finish.

Cheers,

Carl

Carl

Yes i went with the WSF by accident. I missed that part of the selection process.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Carl

Yes i went with the WSF by accident. I missed that part of the selection process.

Rich
    I'll post some images of mine when they get here. FUD doesn't come cheap though, 2 1/144 Airco DH5 and 2 Martin Marylands plus postage cost me AU$95.

Cheers,

Carl.

Richard I've been told that sanding on a Shapeways model is not a great idea because the model is hollow you run the risk of working right on through, but what do I know since I don't have any shapeways models, yet. How is your work coming along? Lloyd

Lloyd

Yes it is hollow! I am attempting to remove the grainy surface not really give it a smooth surface. A few coats of primer will help. I am getting ready for some convention games this weekend and have not had the time to work on the Maryland!

Rich

I met pflanzer at the Enfilade convention last May and he was telling me about the need to use primer or other materials to smooth out the rough spots rather than sanding. I'll be curious how your bird turns out. Lloyd

Lloyd

As will i!!!!! I have worked on lead 1:300 scale planes that looked almost as bad as this bird at the start.

Rich

Are you taking pictures of your work in progress? Lloyd

Loyd

Not since the first batch. I am spending any free time on my convention games this weekend. I will get a few on Sunday!

Rich

What kind of game are you hosting? I'm assuming WOG WWII? Lloyd

Loyd

DOW Guadalcanal themed games. I have six scenarios planned. From Japanese attacks on Henderson Field and convoy attacks, to IJN and USN attacks on carriers. I will be running two four hour sessions one Friday night and an one Saturday morning. I will post some after action reports on Friday night and Saturday night.

Rich

Sounds like it will be a fun time for your players! Lloyd

Rich, I will see you at Guns of August tomorrow. Save a spot for me in the game!

dave s.

Loyd

I always l have fun! Some of the guys i have known since the 70`s!

Rich

Rich,
    I will be there Friday. I am taking off a half day off work, so I will probably hang out a bit in the boardgame room before 6:00.