Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evening All

I had a cat (a Norwegian Woods) a girl. She thought that she was a dog. She would bark at the other dogs and would fetch things. But in the end of the day, she was like any other cat. "Do what I want, when I want." But when my grandfather got sick, she stayed all day by his side, licking him and making him company. Everybody was astonished with her. All my family cried like babies when she died on a uterus cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    I had a cat (a Norwegian Woods) a girl. She thought that she was a dog. She would bark at the other dogs and would fetch things.
    As the old joke goes, there's only one way I know to make a cat go 'woof'...

We know.......a can of petrol and a match

;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    So it's a maxi-mini? ;)
    Karl
    Better than min-maxing, but not by much. :)

Cats used to be worshipped as Gods in ancient Egypt, and they have never forgotten it.
    Rob.

I used to be adored as a God by the cats, but they seemed to have forgotten that...

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    As the old joke goes, there's only one way I know to make a cat go 'woof'...
    And only one way to make a dog go "miaou".

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    LOL still at $25GBP that is around $48NZD and with the 20% off its $38.20NZD

not cheap but then again its a massive mini.

I did look at the SE5a but I found the 73rd Squadron that was all Camel.

@gully_raker: did you have any good links regarding that squadron?

Cheers
    Greywolf

Btw: how many planes do you use in a standard battle?
    1-2 planes each
    2-3 planes each
    3-4 planes each
    5+ planes each
    G'day Greywolf!

There is an excellent book in the Osprey series Elite Aviation Units on 56 Sqd by Alex Revell.
    Amazon US sell it for around $26 US. You might find a copy in NZ shops. Maybe send a PM to Linz who is knowledgeable on such stuff in NZ.
    The book has many pages of colour profiles & tells the story of 56 from its formation untill the end of the War.

Regarding your query on number of planes, well it depends on how many players & how many Aircraft you want to control.
    I would suggest 4 players with one Aircraft each makes for a good game & once you get up to speed try flying 2 each.
    Check out some of the After Action Reports down in the WW1 section of the Forum to see some of the scenarios we make up.

I'll check that book out when I get a chance,
    I'll look at getting 2-3 fighters and a bomber per side.

my heart is set on at least one Fokker Dr.1 and a Gotha the 2nd fighter for the Germans not sure.
    and the allies I am open to suggestions.

Cheers
    GreyWolf

Welcome back Greywolf, ya know anybody with Grey in their name has got to be OK...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Knight View Post
    Welcome back Greywolf, ya know anybody with Grey in their name has got to be OK...
    thx Grey Knight

you know what makes this even more funnier then having Grey in our nicks is that many years ago I also was Grey Knight

Cheers
    Greywolf

No grey in the name for me, but more in my hair every day...

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Better than min-maxing, but not by much.
    HEY! No munchkins allowed here
    Karl

Karl
    Howzaboot "Recovering Munchkins" (in the same way the Friends of Bill W. say "there are no 'recovered' alcoholics; only 'recover*ing*')?

Karl
    Is this not discrimination against Munchkins Karl?
    Kyte.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover_lg.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	55989

For my sins I have a minor design credit on one of the expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Howzaboot "Recovering Munchkins" (in the same way the Friends of Bill W. say "there are no 'recovered' alcoholics; only 'recover*ing*')?
    Recovering fine, practicing...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Is this not discrimination against Munchkins Karl?
    Kyte.
    Having played with Gamer Munchkins (as opposed to the Halflings/Kneehighs/Kinder/Rugrats etc), it's an exercise of self defense not discrimination.
    (Explanation note: In this context Munchkin refers to gamers, mostly RPGers, who game to achieve the greatest levels/power/items etc without regard to fellow players, the premise of the game et al. I've run into a similar type in miniature gaming who builds armies that ends up with little if any historical basis, just to have a "unbeatable" one. Difficult with most rulesets, but it happens. See Munckkin

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover_lg.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	55989

For my sins I have a minor design credit on one of the expansions.
    A very fun game, but I couldn't keep up with the expansions, and also ran out of play time for it.
    Karl

Great to see you back on the site Alan
    For WOW aircraft be thankful you live in NZ there are still a lot of aircraft available in store check out Aargon models here in Dunedin he is happy to ship within NZ
    http://www.aargonhobbies.co.nz/index...ategory_id=406
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Great to see you back on the site Alan
    For WOW aircraft be thankful you live in NZ there are still a lot of aircraft available in store check out Aargon models here in Dunedin he is happy to ship within NZ
    http://www.aargonhobbies.co.nz/index...ategory_id=406
    Linz
    thx Linz

I think I'll stick with Shapeways prices are alot cheaper for the planes I want. Just need to find some good ole Kiwis who want to split the order and Postage costs.

I'll want to do the order in a few weeks time. still working out what I want to get for the planes then I need to get some bases from Litko and then jump on to the Accessories site and get me some flame/smoke markers, that cool looking propeller ruler and then, those Blue tinted pegs once they are released.

Cheers
    Alan

Hi Zoe
    If you go to this site it shows what is available in NZ.
    http://www.pixelpark.co.nz/miniature...sort=5a&page=1
    If there are any you or anyone else want let me know and I'll get Aargon Hobbies to order them in or you could just ask James at Aargon Hobbies to get them for you.
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Hi Zoe
    If you go to this site it shows what is available in NZ.
    http://www.pixelpark.co.nz/miniature...sort=5a&page=1
    If there are any you or anyone else want let me know and I'll get Aargon Hobbies to order them in or you could just ask James at Aargon Hobbies to get them for you.
    Linz
    I tried to order that DVII but they won't ship outside New Zealand Linz. So if it is still available I will pay through the nose for it just to complete my Jasta 18.
    Rob.

well if I can clear some of my old minis from my surplus of games I'll do my order. so depending on how well things sell will depend on how much I get to spend.

I think its great there is a place to buy some of the older minis. If any one from overseas wants a mini from that site let me know and we can work out something [I could order and buy it and then post it on no probs]

But for me $64.95NZD for a Gotha when I can get one for $23.95NZD [Shapeways], gotha base $8.50NZD [from the accessories store] total: $32.45NZD

So I could buy two Shapeways versions for the price of 1 WoG pre-painted version. not bad in my books. And I get a chance to customize it with a different paint job.

Cheers
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    But for me $64.95NZD for a Gotha when I can get one for $23.95NZD [Shapeways], gotha base $8.50NZD [from the accessories store] total: $32.45NZD
    Try 12-7.

First-Class MailŽ International Parcel : $12.02
    Wings of Glory:WWI-302B- Gotha G.V. Bomber Special Pack (Von Korff) $22.50

That's US dollars of course. But you get the mini, base, counters.... and for $45 + $16.64 postage you get two of them.

http://www.12-7-games.com/catalog/wi...r-i/miniatures

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Try 12-7.

First-Class MailŽ International Parcel : $12.02
    Wings of Glory:WWI-302B- Gotha G.V. Bomber Special Pack (Von Korff) $22.50

That's US dollars of course. But you get the mini, base, counters.... and for $45 + $16.64 postage you get two of them.

http://www.12-7-games.com/catalog/wi...r-i/miniatures
    $22.50USD = $27.70NZD
    $12.02USD = $14.80NZD
    total: $42.50NZD so still cheaper then the NZ site and Shapeways.....

Ok Zoe you have twisted my arm I'll order one maybe two from them soon.

Cheers
    Alan

You might want to look at Series 5 too. Spend $100 and you get $6 off the postage. Two Gothas and you're halfway there. The problem is that the models are so cheap, you have to get a lot of them to fill $100.

$9 each, but they appear to have sold out of most already. Just the Turkish Fokker and a bunch of Moranes left. You might have to get a Caproni or two.

I'll just add some accessories or other stuff on to the order and it should get to $100 unless some nice kiwis want to add to the order to make it cheaper for us all.

Cheers
    Alan

just been on the 12-7-Games site and International orders do not get free shipping on $100 orders instead we get $6USD discount.

I wanted to test out the postage costs and it pretty much doubled from $16.64USD to $32.04USD when I added the WoG rule and accessories box set to the 2 Gothas I had planned on getting.

OUCH!!!!!

so I am looking at $96.44USD or $118.64NZD.

the postage is costing me more then the cost of one plane.

I may have to think about this as the Shapeways is a flat $20USD regardless of the cost of the total order. [And if I go through the U.K I am guaranteed to be adding either 20% to 30% of the TOTAL order as postage.]

to give you an idea on how bad it gets I just added to the 2 gothas, rule box set, the following:
    Fantasy Flight Mini European Board Game Sleeve Packs
    Litko Wings Of War/Wings Of Glory Flame Indicators - Set of 10
    Litko Wings Of War/Wings Of Glory Gun Jammed Tokens - Set of 10
    Litko Wings Of War/Wings Of Glory Smoke Indicators - Set of 10

that is an additional $16.70USD to the order and increased the postage to: $52.25USD [increased by $20.21USD]
    you can now see why its a nightmare ordering stuff from overseas.

<stepping off Soap Box>

love to do an order but now having to think hard about which is a better deal. Postage is always the first thing I consider. and the way 12-7-games postage increases for such a small amount of additional product is off putting.

well back to the drawing board... the minis will have to wait for now.

Cheers
    Alan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12