Ares Games

Thread: The Unbalanced Hurricane - A Very Short Story

Default The Unbalanced Hurricane - A Very Short Story

The Unbalanced Hurricane

There are no unbalanced Hurricanes, there is death in the shores of the morning. "I'm scared. I fear that you'll leave one day and that I will never see you again." There were tears in her eyes as he finished dressing his uniform. How terribly he wanted to comfort her, but lies he never told her. He cleaned his throat. "The Laughing Gnome will bring me back in one piece, my love." She was the one who had invented his plane's name. The Laughing Gnome. And it stuck. Every pilot in his squadron, the mechanics, the squadron Leader, the all called his Hurricane by that name. And sometimes, as he throttled up its engine, he could almost hear the gentle laughing of his plane. But not now. Not today. Today his plane was roaring a challenge against the German fighters, turning and evading them, trying to sidestep them and reach the bombers with their bellies filled with can-stored death.

He banked hard to the right, went down a thousand feet and delivered a long stray of bullets against a double engined bomber. It opened up like a flower of light, a scream of a seagull. Then he felt bullets raking the Laughing Gnome and a painful punch in his body, a spear of lead and gunpowder, and then his lover's face covered the sky in front of him. For a moment there darkness followed. And then the Laughing Gnome roared to him. Challenged his will, mocked his weakness, reminded him of his promise. And he fought the pain, he spat the blood on his lips and he focused. A second had passed? Three seconds? The beautiful grey sharks were still following him like hunters leading a prey.

He kicked the stick hard left, then right, then left again forcing the enemy fighters to guess, to loose their tight formation and then he dove hard only to appear behind them. One shark wasn't fooled by this. The other took the bait. His eight twin machine guns screamed in delight. Eight angels of destruction. Eight fingers of death. The enemy fighter took it all and went down. A trail of smoke and fire appeared like a line drawn in the sky by a child. Then again the Laughing Gnome was shook by bullets. Too close. But this time pilot and plane were as one. He cut sharp in his enemy's way. They crashed against each other. His propeller making a terrible work of vengeance in the German fighter's tail. And they both went down into the Channel. Fellow enemies, pilots, friends that could have been. He saw the German's parachute open and he was glad of it.

His conscience was fading. He tried to lift his plane's nose so that he could crash land in the waters of the Channel. Darkness was pressing in, against his will. "Don't go to sleep, my love", he heard her. And the laugh of his plane, keeping him awake, his hands in the stick, sweat coming down mixed with blood and will. He finally lost conscience. For a short time. For a long time. Eternity didn't come.

He was being pulled out of his floating Hurricane by two British seamen. "You were lucky", one of them was telling him while they were taking him to the patrol boat, "your plane was still floating when we arrived. And you made a damn good landing, I'll say". He raised his head painfully. The Laughing Gnome was now sinking. He wanted to scream. "Save him! Save him, please!" But darkness called on to him again.

In the hospital, only his love, embracing him, knew why he was crying.

Joaquim
    (Sorry for my poor English.)

Think this one is shorter:

13th August 1940, 08:00 am.

Somewhere over the Channel.

Oh damn, Messerschmitts six o'clAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Think this one is shorter:

13th August 1940, 08:00 am.

Oh damn, Messerschmitts six o'clAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH.....

Shorter, yes.
    Historic accuracy?! Lower?! Isn't it a seaplane used in the Pacific?

Looks like a seaplane when the BF-109 pilot finished his job.

Looks like a seaplane when the BF-109 pilot finished his job.

You look like a Portuguese politic, Sven. They always have a good final answer!!

That's an OS2U Kingfisher observation seaplane.

Destroyed by gunfire from USS Tang after she had recovered the crew plus nine rescued aircrew. the Kingfisher was unable to take off, but managed to ferry its crew and the downed airmen who had been rescued to the Tang.

No, no, David, it was Me-109's that done that. Shhhhhh.... Don't destroy Sven's dreams, please.

No, no, David, it was Me-109's that done that. Shhhhhh.... Don't destroy Sven's dreams, please.

Oh, ah, yes you are right, it was a 109

Ignore the Philistines, Joaquim that was an excellently poetic story.

karl

I enjoyed reading the story, Joaquim.

Thanks, Karl and David. You honour me.

Oh the Kingfisher story. You must read it. Briefly a pilot was shot down and a Kingfisher was launched from a battleship (Wisconsion?) to pick him up. He climbs on the wing and flips the plane over ( not very good balance). Now 4 in the water and another plane dispatched. Picks them up and taxies to the Tang and all ae rescued.

That is a really weird story.How was he able to flip the Kingfisher over?

Thumbs up

Great poem 'quim! Very moving.
    More stories like that one please but WW1 if you can.

Thanks Barry. And thanks for the Rep.
    I'll write one for WW1 very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    That is a really weird story.How was he able to flip the Kingfisher over?
    Not too difficult in open seas, actually; the waves (as the pic shows) are enough to overturn a plane (esp. a float-plus-outriggers design like the OS2U; a twin-float design works better for open-ocean, or so I've read).

I see. Well, that explains it. Thanks for the info, Chris.

Thanks, Thomas! You're most kind. Thanks for the Rep.