ID:	54929

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT08406.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	54930

Very impressive Keith.
    I had never seen that either.
    Better hope they never get a really high tide!
    Rob.

That looks awesome Keith, what a feat of engineering.

Quite interesting landing there, we did a big loop over the sea the and touched down from the West, did wonder if anyone overshoots the runway though.
    The airport used to be on a different island as Madeira didn't have enough flat land.
    I think Madeira is the most mountainous place I've been, maps are a bit hit and miss as they are only in 2D a 3D map would be much more useful when trying to work out routes, as roads can have quite a height difference which is lost on a normal road map.

That's quite a feat of engineering. Very impressive.

The second thought that followed immediately after the above was "that's a security nightmare"...

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    The second thought that followed immediately after the above was "that's a security nightmare"...
    Not much of a target really though. If it was time right, they could take out a single plane? Besides costing the tax payers money, it would not accomplish much I don't think.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I suspect there's enough redundancy in the design to lose a couple of pillars, and looking at the sheer size of them, combined with the much broader concrete "footing" at the bottom (maybe 8 feet high by 30 feet diameter from the looks of it?) I don't think it'd be an attractive proposition for even the biggest of car bombs, so probably not as big a security nightmare as you'd reckon at first glance.

I think it would take at least a tactical nuke to bring it down.
    It is a clever way to solve the parking problem though.

Jim

Looks like something out of SimCity.

/Niclas

Whoo very impressive. Shows to go that with enough zeros after a number you can build just about anything where you want it.

Whoo very impressive. Shows to go that with enough zeros after a number you can build just about anything where you want it.
    Of course you bankrupt your country and threaten to crash your entire continent's currency in the process

Agreed, there are much softer and easier targets in the vicinity. I was involved in a security assessment of a particular facility where we tabletopped a whole load of scenarios. At the end of the day we came to the conclusion that any terrorist wanting to mount a "spectacular" aimed at maximising casualties, exposure of their cause on TV and general panic in the population would do far better to set off a bomb in a local railway station than waste their time going after the facility.

Not a soft target, by any measure. However, I may still disagree... But then, given some of the contingency planning I used to be involved in, I may have a difference perspective!
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 07-31-2012 at 17:17. Reason: Typo

I just typed a long piece there suggesting a hypothetical way for terrorists to do massive economic damage without killing (m)anyone. Then realised that maybe I should keep my wug shut.

Careless talk costs lives chaps.

PS, Hello MI5. Should I expect Special Branch round in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    I just typed a long piece there suggesting a hypothetical way for terrorists to do massive economic damage without killing (m)anyone. Then realised that maybe I should keep my wug shut.
    I suspect anyone willing to do it has already figured out how to do it, so....

But then, given some of the contingency planning I used to be involved in, I may have a difference perspective!
    Sounds like you and I could have some interesting chats over a few beers

Thumbs up

What a facinating way to overcome the lack of ground for an Aerodrome & I do like the huge parking area right on the spot.

I've landed in this strip at least 3 times and it is still short...

As for the upper mentioned questions, you are seeing it in a wrong perspective:

Security - Who would want to put a bomb in a Portuguese airfield or airstrip? The winning media exposure wouldn't cover the costs.

Cost - It created a bigger influx of tourists to Madeira so it was a sound and not so terribly expensive enterprise. Now the Corrupts, sorry, I mean, the Politics in Madeira, those yes, they almost sank the island.

Local Folklore - There are some pillars in that strip, that if you are with your ear pressed against them at the moment the plane touches down, you can ear it all. The engines, the brakes, the wind.

Abosulety impossible to image what it is hidden under a third of the runway of this airport from Google Earth Really impressive!

Who would want to put a bomb in a Portuguese airfield or airstrip?
    Spanish tourism chiefs?

NEVER MIND THE AIRPORT!
    Lets have some more Madeira me dear.

Name:	220px-Madeira_Wine.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	55078

Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    NEVER MIND THE AIRPORT!

Kyte.
    Aaargh...my Madeira had turned!
    I don't know what's happened to me - These days it happens every now and then that I don't finish a bottle before it's gone bad.
    Fortunately, this never happens to hard liquor.

/Niclas

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    NEVER MIND THE AIRPORT!

Kyte.
    Why did I think only you could come up with a pic of that Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Why did I think only you could come up with a pic of that Rob!
    If I put my mind to it I could probably come up with the song as well.
    Rob.

You need to check out a show on the Discovery Channel (I thing) called Deadlest airports. There is one in the Apls of France that is like a washboard and planes fly in and out of there.

Sorry its Worlds Most Extream Airports. Here is the link.
    10 Most Extreme Airports [HD]

And I must say Mareira wine is very good to make a porkchop dish I learned.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Sorry its Worlds Most Extream Airports. Here is the link.
    10 Most Extreme Airports [HD]

And I must say Mareira wine is very good to make a porkchop dish I learned.
    I agree There are a lot of airports more extreme but it's really impossible to image that pillars forest from a satellite pic. I hope that pilots don't drink Madeira before to land in those airports you post the pics link

Attilio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fLphTxDix-c

Here is the link to the History Channel Extreme Airports. It is # 9 (2nd) on this video.

Madeira Wine is good, Rob.
    But I must take you to some special alcoholic places if you ever come to Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Madeira Wine is good, Rob.
    But I must take you to some special alcoholic places if you ever come to Portugal.
    Sounds good to me Joaquim, but I'm not sure about being able to come to Portugal my friend.
    We may, however, be going to Spain next year with some friends. I n the meantime have a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqPbkchgACw

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 08-02-2012 at 01:53.

To Spain where? Near Portugal?

Not sure yet Quim. We have been invited to go with our friends Dragon one and Two, so they will be in charge of the show.
    Rob.

Maybe you can meet me near the border, when you do come to Spain. I would be very happy in meeting you all (several times) during my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Maybe you can meet me near the border, when you do come to Spain. I would be very happy in meeting you all (several times) during my lifetime.
    That would be great Quim if we can arrange it. Things are still in an unknown state as yet, but if it is possible I will try to effect a meeting.
    rob.