Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desert Dual

Default Desert Dual

We all like to see "hot" painted miniatures here on the site. And what better way to see more of them than to have a WWII Desert repaint competition!

Who: Any registered Wings of War Aerodrome member.
    What: Painting Contest.
    When: September, the 30th is the deadline for entries.
    Winnerchosen by: Community vote.

Rules:
    • One entry per member
    • Miniature must be an official Wings of Glory miniature from Series 1, 2, or 3.
    • Must be painted for the African theater of operation (can still be a fictional paint scheme).
    • Must be painted during the contest period.
    • Previous Wings of Glory Aerodrome painting contest entries (minis) are not eligible.

How to enter
    • Create a new Profile Album under My Profile (top right) and name it the name of the contest
    • Upload the photos of your entry to this new album.
    • PM me your 3 favorite photos to be used in the voting thread (just cut and paste the BB Code (below the image and to the right). Make sure to include the below info in the PM:

• Real name
      • What miniature was used
      • Pilot and Unit name (if based on historical scheme)
      • All photos need to be jpg format.

Prizes will be handled differently this time around. The winner will get to choose his prize from the list below, the second place winner will then get to select from the prizes left, followed by the third place winner. All winners will of course get the highly coveted Wings of Glory Aerodrome Painting Contest Medal:

We have the following new minis up for grabs. The winner will get to pick three of them, 2nd place will get to choose two from the ones left over, and 3rd place will get to pick one.

Bf-109 Galland (there are two of these to pick from)

Bf-109 Balthzar

Spitfire Falkowski

Spitfire vybral

Spitfire Le Mesurier

Zero Kaneko

Zero Sakai

F4F Wildcat Black

Cool - a WW II North African theater painting contest.

Would be a hard decision, what plane to repaint.

Spitfire, Hurricane or maybe a Wildcat?

Does that include Operation Torch - the landings in Casablanca, Morocco etc?

What about other non-western-desert parts of Africa - Ethiopia, Sudan? Hurricanes were there, but mainly CR42s and Gladiators, so I assume excluded as they're not series 1,2, or 3.

Will Wings of War minis be allowed? I assume so. There's only one series of WGS.

What about Madagascar - Africa or not? The Allies Operation Ironclad was to stop Japanese reinforcements of Vichy there. A hypothetical scenario could include Zekes and Vals, possibly in Vichy markings....

Should the contest be extended to official aircraft (ie ones for which cards not models are available)? I'm thinking of P-39s here.

Should the Syrian campaign be included?
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 07-31-2012 at 00:47.

A long burst of questions, Zoe.

I hope the Oberst has enough hitpoints!
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 07-31-2012 at 02:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Does that include Operation Torch - the landings in Casablanca, Morocco etc?
    Last I checked, they were in Africa

What about other non-western-desert parts of Africa - Ethiopia, Sudan? Hurricanes were there, but mainly CR42s and Gladiators, so I assume excluded as they're not series 1,2, or 3.
    Still apart of Africa. As for the CR42s and Gladiators, they are not in Series 1-3, so no go on them.

Will Wings of War minis be allowed? I assume so. There's only one series of WGS.
    Wings of War is Wings of Glory

What about Madagascar - Africa or not? The Allies Operation Ironclad was to stop Japanese reinforcements of Vichy there. A hypothetical scenario could include Zekes and Vals, possibly in Vichy markings....
    Not part of Africa.

Should the contest be extended to official aircraft (ie ones for which cards not models are available)? I'm thinking of P-39s here.
    Only officially released miniatures as stated.

Should the Syrian campaign be included?
    Not part of Africa

Confused: The heading seems to indicate a pair of planes, but in the text it seems like it's only one plane...
    ?

(Amazing prizes, by the way!)

/Niclas

It's a single plane for entry. You are dueling against the other entrants The wonderful prizes were donated by Voss.

shame about 1/44 scale - just finishing some for North Africa games...

OK, that would seem to allow:

F4F-3, F4F-4, FM-1/Martlet III
    Bf-109E of any subtype
    Hurricane of any mark with some conversion to tropical version
    Sea Hurricane of any mark
    Spitfire I/II after conversion to Mk V
    Ju-87B/R
    De-520
    P-40E/F as Kittyhawk I/II

Neither Spitfire I and II were sent to Africa, and the Mk V had different oil coolers under the wings. Other changes aren't really visible at this scale. So a bit of conversion needed.

Hurricane I and IIs of all marks are identical at this scale, excepting the tropicalised air filters and armament - 4 x 20mm or 2 x 40mm in pods. A bit of conversion needed, the tropical air filters were universal in Africa.

Name:  9_41.jpg
Views: 2227
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  9_22_b3.jpg
Views: 2233
Size:  92.8 KB

Compare to non-tropical nose on the few Sea Hurricanes that ended up in Egypt - so these are OK.

Name:  9_113.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  74.2 KB

Tomahawks (P-40 B/C/D) had a different nose from the Kittyhawks

Bf109F and above would require major surgery on wings, and a little on the tail.

JU87s in Africa were mostly D versions, but both Luftwaffe and Italian B's were there too. The D version would require some conversion of the underwing oil filters.

Of course only a purist would notice any of this, mostly having to peek under wings to look at exact shape of oil coolers etc.

Does defense of Malta count as North Africa in this competition?

/Niclas

Nope, it's not part of Africa.

Neither Spitfire I and II were sent to Africa, and the Mk V had different oil coolers under the wings. Other changes aren't really visible at this scale. So a bit of conversion needed.

Hurricane I and IIs of all marks are identical at this scale, excepting the tropicalised air filters and armament - 4 x 20mm or 2 x 40mm in pods. A bit of conversion needed, the tropical air filters were universal in Africa.
    Thank you for the good information, Zoe.

I'm definitely in, but I have to decide if I take a Spitfire or a Hurricane.

It's 65% Hurricane at the moment.

The Reggiane Re.2000 saw no action in North Africa.

In Sicily, but that's is not Africa.

Tropicalised Spitfire V's. There were 2 types of oil filter

Name:  198_2.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  38.9 KB
    Name:  216_3.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  69.3 KB
    Name:  216_7.jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  41.9 KB
    Name:  9_140.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  17.0 KB
    Name:  23_6.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  77.6 KB
    Name:  23_1.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  44.6 KB
    Name:  9_176.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  11.8 KB
    Name:  9_278.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  63.3 KB
    Name:  147_4.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  63.1 KB
    Name:  216_6.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  44.5 KB

The later "Aboukir" pattern is really only suitable for Tunisia in 1943, but is far easier to scratchbuild.

As for Seafires...

Name:  9_19.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  8.2 KB
    Name:  9_30.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  53.4 KB
    Name:  9_4.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  100.0 KB

gb030104

Does it count as cheating if you use the desert Ju87 ?

Quote Originally Posted by gb030104 View Post
    No, if you remove the green spots and airbrush a RLM 02 scribble camo on the upper surface

Quote Originally Posted by gb030104 View Post
    Depends on the paint mod... I'm tempted by this one:

Name:  2_4.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  57.5 KB

Or you could split the difference:

Name:  2_7.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  53.2 KB

That's one where desertsand paint was sprayed over a 2-tone splinter pattern, rather than the usual green-over-desertsand.

How about a couple of these

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    A long burst of questions, Zoe.

I hope the Oberst has enough hitpoints!

LMAO ! Nice Sven.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Thank you for the good information, Zoe.

The Reggiane Re.2000 saw no action in North Africa.

In Sicily, but that's is not Africa.

To Northern Italians it is.

Hmmmm a WOW WWII painting competition for a desert camo. I'm actually not into the desert theater since I prefer the European or Soviet theater and the idea of a Bf109 or a Spitfire painted in a desert camouflage makes it unattractive to me. So I'm not going to sacrifice one and join the competition with a such a repaint.

But...

I have a unused F4F Wildcat laying here . So a Desert Martlet MK III it will become!!! Looking forward on entering the competition and I'm curious for the other repaints.
    Last edited by Thomatchef; 08-01-2012 at 11:21.

Thomas! There could be a nice fantasy scheme of yours To make things even more weird, it can be a ...captured F4F, shipped from Japan to the Reich for testing with Luftwaffe camo and markings...

I'll try to keep it as authentic as possible. It's going to be a British version of the F4F designated the Martlet Mk III. Call me crazy but already started on dismantling the mini and stripping decals. I looked in my decal box and found all the necessary decals except for some small ones.
    You can expect something like this from me...

Name:  9_11.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  67.0 KB

It isn't a special camouflage scheme but I'll try to paint it as good as I can and will try to add some modifications to please the purists

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    I have a unused F4F Wildcat laying here . So a Desert Martlet MK III it will become!!! Looking forward on entering the competition and I'm curious for the other repaints.
    Name:  9_14.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  84.6 KB
    Name:  9_11.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  67.0 KB
    Name:  9_4_b1.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  30.7 KB
    Name:  9_22.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  98.7 KB

Operation "Torch" - Royal Naval wildcats often wore USN markings, with a slashed "0". The USN though put a yellow circle round their's.

Name:  9_8.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  56.1 KB
    Name:  9_18.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  62.9 KB
    Name:  9_21.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  96.9 KB

USN/USMC

Name:  3_2_b1.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  78.3 KB
    Name:  3_31_b1.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  30.3 KB
    Name:  3_31_a3.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  41.8 KB
    Name:  3_31_a1.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  3_24.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  70.9 KB
    Name:  3_24_b1.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  74.1 KB
    Name:  3_16.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  36.2 KB
    Name:  3_56.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  68.9 KB

Sea Hurricane from HMS Boxer in Operation Torch:

Name:  9_98.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  26.8 KB

Some D520s. The yellow tail one is from Syria, so excluded. The Zebra Striped one is apparently Lt Col Yves Enzzo's in Morocco, but paint scheme may be post-war. The grey Free French one is also from Syria, but a number flew in the Tunisian campaign. Before they were withdrawn in mid 43, Free French D520s in Algeria had US markings on the sides.

Name:  D520front.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  37.2 KB

The earliest pic I've seen of this is 1947, and the fin flash and roundel size argue for post-war only... but you never know.

Name:  D520Safari-B.JPG
Views: 1459
Size:  30.2 KB

Just started on what will possibly be my entry. My first foray into 1/200 - And boy, how my respect for you WWII guys and gals grow by the minute. The stuff is incredibly small!

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    The stuff is incredibly small!
    /Niclas
    Well thats something you get used to after a while . My entry has been modified, primed and the belly received its color.

Mine is ready. Now trying to get a decent picture of it. The attempts of this evening did not give me the result I wanted. Not easy to take a close-up "contest worthy" picture of a model that is 3cm long and have most of the details captured sharp.

I think its advisable to keep the result secret until september the 30th? Or is there a need to start a campaign to get at least some votes

Per the rules, the images have to be placed in a "Profile" so that only the owner and myself can see them. No leaking photos of the entries guys!!

I am very excited to see a WWII painting contest! Thanks for bringing "the other side" of the game into the context mix.

Here's some thing different.
    http://www.tankzone.co.uk/images/popy/pf02/sp1_300.jpg

SP1 - Mitsubishi A6M2b(j) "Zero" (Case Special)
    Japanese fighter plane in German desert paint scheme flown by Hauptman Hans-Joachim Marseille 1942 North Africa

Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Here's some thing different.
    http://www.tankzone.co.uk/images/popy/pf02/sp1_300.jpg

SP1 - Mitsubishi A6M2b(j) "Zero" (Case Special)
    Japanese fighter plane in German desert paint scheme flown by Hauptman Hans-Joachim Marseille 1942 North Africa

Linz
    Cool find, Linz!

/Niclas

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

I am about to start tomorrow on mine. Loving the fact we have a WWII contest finally.

As I'm finding out, the decals are fiddly. I've just about got the printer working with 600 dpi resolution, but some of the markings are only 0.5mm across, and handling them is infeasible. Really, the minimum size to work with is 2mm, and that means I have to print the surrounding area too.

Some experiments, converted to JPEG (originals are in BMP - I have to work at the pixel level for some).

Name:  martletaJPEG.JPG
Views: 1319
Size:  16.5 KBName:  eightaJPEG.JPG
Views: 1258
Size:  16.8 KBName:  snakeJPEG.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  116.0 KB

Depending on the monitor, some of those markings will be this size - > o < or > + < for the swastikas. I may have to make some of the badges overscale just to make them visible.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 08-15-2012 at 01:24.

Depending on your monitor, actual size will be more like this... though resolution far better.

Name:  snakeJPEGtiny.JPG
Views: 1245
Size:  5.4 KB

I now have a spare Wildcat, Bf109, Ju87, Hurricane, Spitfire, P-40E and D.520.. I intend making African markings for all of them, with several options.

Default Source of 1/200 Decals

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/1-144-Direct

They use a professional ALPS printer, capable of printing white, which basic inkjets like mine cannot. Minimum size decals are 1.8mm, at the very edge of feasibility. Cutting out anything much smaller than a pinhead is an exercise in frustration.

Decals are basic markings, roundels etc, but with numbers, letters, "<-" and other large squadron insignia available, in standard sizes.

If anyone else wants to take up my offer to make custom decals, PM me. I can't do anything legible smaller than 2mm, but at least roundels etc will be sized for individual aircraft, not a "one size fits all". Please do this ASAP, it takes many attempts to get them right.

Thanks for you help Zoe you have inspire me to have a go, got a Marlet doing nothing

Default Desert Duel - Canadian Spits

I'm not into WWII (yet), but I was a member of a squadron that fought in the desert back in WWII.

I even have a 1/144th Corgi spit, but it isn't a desert model, like these:

Name:  417desertspits.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  36.4 KB

This is a picture from my squadron history book, but someone saved me the effort of scanning it:
    http://members.shaw.ca/rcaf417/docs/history.htm

Any Canadians jumping into this contest, this is an option for a paint scheme.

OldGuy59!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I'm not into WWII (yet), but I was a member of a squadron that fought in the desert back in WWII.
    Thanks!!! 417 City of Windsor.

This would be an appropriate design for decals. Prefix AN followed by the individual aircraft designation. Airframe serials aren't legible/visible at 1/200.

Name:  tru_24spit5b_decal.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  55.6 KB

The tropical "jowl" is an easy conversion with modelling putty.

I'm opting for Shed decals for my entry. Making bombs and fuel tanks that look like bombs and fuel tanks is proving a royal pain in the a**e though.

Default Canadian Spits

OK, Zio will either be flattered or "spitting".

However, I am (one day) gonna tackle this project, whether I'm into WWII or not. Just cause it is a 417 Spit.

And in my rush, I picked the wrong mark of Spit, and put a Mk IX registration number on it. Oh, and I will have to work out the Tropical kit for the nose, too.

Anyway, this is my contribution for the moment:

Name:  Spitfire_Desert-3a_50.png
Views: 1258
Size:  373.4 KB

Oldguy59!

Could all those who asked me for decals please PM me with their addresses (again). I had a major H/W failure, and while I might be able to recover my address book from backups, I might not.
    The decals are all printed.

I'm really looking forward for seeing the entry's!!

Entry sent.

Camera unkind, as always. This time I'm pleased anyway though, since mini turned out really cool in real life - And I'll enjoy it even if I don't win.

/Niclas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast