Ares Games

Thread: Insight into new products coming from Ares.

Default Insight into new products coming from Ares.

I pulled this BGG earlier today...

We're now working on new introductory sets and a new edition of the "classic" quartet of planes - Camel, Spad XIII, Dr.I, D.Va - which started Wings of War a long time ago!

The new intro sets will be more similar to the original "Famous Aces" sets, including only the "foundational" rules of the system, and scenarios to go with them, to get new players in the game more easily.

The sets will include 2 airplanes and all you need to play with them, to keep the price very accessible so that newcomers can try the system with minimum effort and expense.

We'll have two versions of the intro set, matching one airplane from the Central Powers against an Entente airplane.

"Veterans" may take the deep plunge since the beginning and buy the Rules Pack (with the complete rules) and individual airplane packs, and skip the intro set.
    However, the intro set only costs about as much as 2 airplane packs anyway, and you also get a bonus "A" fire deck, always useful, as well as unique colors of the airplanes, such as the Red and Green Manfred Von Richthofen Dr.I, which were previously featured in the WW1 Deluxe Edition of Wings of War. So it maybe a worthy purchase for veterans, too!
    The Rules and Accessories Pack will have a SRP of $ 29.90.
    We are not ready to announce the date of the new intro packs, but I am quite sure they will be in stores before the end of the year, and perhaps even in time for Essen.
    Those are quotes from Roberto, the man in charge of the game. For those wondering, Essen is in October.

It is good to see that Ares are at last coming forth with some solid information about the way they intend to proceed Keith.
    Hopefully this will help to put to bed all the speculation, rumours, and general irritation that has been building up amongst the pilots on the Drome.
    Good communication is the key to success, and I hope that this will assure the suppliers that things are looking up and that it is worth stocking the game once more.
    Rob.

These seem like a good idea. If Ares are going to introduce new colour schemes this way, I hope that they will put two planes with existing schemes into one pack and two planes with new colour schemes into the other pack.

All good news. I would wonder if he meant Essen next year............

Ahh, there's the cynicism we all foster !!
    All that being said it is nice to see what their intent is - all sounds very promising. Go Ares !

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

These really do sound good; perfect for new recruits to the game as well as us veterans - it'll be really nice when someone tries the game and gets excited about it to be able to simply say "get one of those" when they ask about starting collecting it themselves....

It also looks like a good way to re-release the paint jobs from the Revised Deluxe set with out having to reprint that expensive box.

I'm calling it now, MvR vs. Brown and Bäumer vs. Luke

Great news. For those who don't have all the old planes a release of them would be good for others. I would like to see new paint jobs and I like the idea Herr Obrest pud out about the delux set. Good idea to me.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

/Niclas

Like the idea of intro packs. I hope more brick and mortar stores give a go at stocking em so folks in my neck of the woods can become addicts like me and join me in a game now and again

I think the intro packs could go a long ways in getting stores to stock the game again. They will basically be able to stock twice as many starter sets for the same price as before. A good move.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I think it will be a stroke of marketing genius if ARES follows through with this plan. I'm hoping for the best for ARES, potential new players, and us veterans!

Thumbs up

Yes a wonderful idea to let potential new players try the game for a small outlay.

Not many Games Systems give you that opportunity!

So it maybe a worthy purchase for veterans, too!
    How they taunt us! They just KNOW we'll buy them whether we need them or not

Looks like an extremely good move to get new players into the game.