Ares Games

Thread: Marking for a victory over an Italian plane?

Default Marking for a victory over an Italian plane?

I know Allied pilots often used to mark a victory with a Balken cross or Japanese flag, but what was used for an Italian victory...Italian flag?

Thanks!

probably just another swastika unless they had someone who draw various symbols

1940-1943

1943-1945

Good luck... but I would guess that the local armorers and maintenance men would have just simplified it to be just another axis kill and use the swastika.

Quote Originally Posted by Wholenineyards View Post
    I know Allied pilots often used to mark a victory with a Balken cross or Japanese flag, but what was used for an Italian victory...Italian flag?

Thanks!
    Hi Bryan,

Here are a couple of close ups of Australian ace Clive Caldwell's Spitfire bearing his credited victory marks over German, Italian and Japanese aircraft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spit_late_cu_08.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	54765

Name:	Caldwell_(AWM_OG1998).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	54766

Cheers,

Carl.

Thank you, that is just what I was looking for. I was unsuccessful googling several combinations, but knew the answer would be here. I made pilot sheets for my boys and have victories marked on them. They are in a fictious Sqdn that is currently involved in the battle of France. I wanted to take them throughout the BoB, Malta and North Afrca too. After that, I think the Sqdn will be off the Burma. My youngest is very much into the pilot/campaign thing and doesn't wNt anything to happen to his soon to be Ace.

The tri-color roundel was used in World War II after Italy joined the Allies while Aviazione Nazionale Repubblicana Air Force (RSI Air Force) roundels were a tricolour flag as flank roundel and a couple of fasces as wing roundels (the third one in Al post).

I think Allied used only fasces roundels to mark a victory.

Attilio

Side note: For some reason, Soviet pilots marked victories with Soviet stars.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The VVS pilots used red stars because they were forbidden to soil their aircraft with 'filthy fascist symbols'.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    ah, must have been the original red on red scenarios....

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hi Bryan,

Here are a couple of close ups of Australian ace Clive Caldwell's Spitfire bearing his credited victory marks over German, Italian and Japanese aircraft.

Name:	Caldwell_(AWM_OG1998).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	54766

Cheers,

Carl.
    Heh, I was going to search and post that exact same picture when I saw the OP, but you were already there

RoV

Quote Originally Posted by Rat of Vengence View Post
    Heh, I was going to search and post that exact same picture when I saw the OP, but you were already there

RoV
    I already had that photo uploaded to my profile