Ares Games
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Official Albatros D.Va painting thread.

Another magnificent bird James.
    I can't get your links to work, but they are hardly needed to enhance this masterpiece.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hmm strange things a foot tonight!

Any roads here are the missing images and a few more.

There they are.
    Flying in all the magnificence of the heavens.
    Even better.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Rob, you know I was thinking of maybe doing a swap with you I send you a duplicate Von Machin and you send me a Flying Officer Kyte...... .then we have a battle of OTT Aces Christmas Special or something

Also really want something on the side of the plane - personal markings or something rather than just the camo.

Quote Originally Posted by VonBlucher View Post
    Thank you all for your kind words, and these are easier and more fun to paint then my Napoleonics.

John
    Great planes John. And I agree, Napoleonice are so much more difficult...and you need a boat load of them! I haven't painted any since I got into WOG.

Stunning. You are making it very difficult for the rest of us to paint again! Sorry I can't REP as I just did one of your previous Albatros.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 11-18-2014 at 07:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    You are making it very difficult for the rest of us to paint again!
    I've just started my first repaint and I now feel inclined to just lay down the brush.

Instead I shall try and be positive and few this as a target [all be it an unreachable one].

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    I've just started my first repaint and I now feel inclined to just lay down the brush.

Instead I shall try and be positive and few this as a target [all be it an unreachable one].
    I used to race bikes Pro and one thing that always sang true was "There will always be someone faster" In the case of painting, there is always someone that can take it to the next level of detail and realism. I build a lot of 1/32 scale WWI aircraft and my work compared to the real masters is just worlds apart - but I find it inspirational and whats great is that they are open to sharing their secrets..... so if you ever need to know how I did something just ask, I will be happy to write a How To like I did for the masking and wood effects.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Rob, you know I was thinking of maybe doing a swap with you I send you a duplicate Von Machin and you send me a Flying Officer Kyte...... .then we have a battle of OTT Aces Christmas Special or something
    PM me on this one James, when I get back from Bristol on Monday.
    Rob.

will do - although does that constitute as fratinising with the enemy?

Suh-weet!
    Once again you did one hell of a job, James. Congratulations!

Eric, many thanks! I was especially happy with the laminated effect on the air screw.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Eric, many thanks! I was especially happy with the laminated effect on the air screw.
    Great work all around, but the screw is very impressive!

So our Commanding Officer Oberst Hajj, commissioned me to paint up 3 Wings of Glory Miniatures. He was especially taken with my two recent submissions of Ernest Udet' Albatros that were Valom kits and asked if I could do the exact same paint schemes using the official miniatures.

I've never actually repainted an official Ares/Nexus miniature and as the boss was asking, well how could I refuse?

So boss here she is!

Wings of Glory; Masters Edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    A masterpiece.
    Agreed!

Thank you gentlemen.

The best I've seen anywhere!
    Stunning!

Another masterpiece. You are creating a legend all by yourself here at the aerodrome, James! A pleasure to see.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthias

Fantastic as usual. You are setting the bar quite high for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Fantastic as usual. You are setting the bar quite high for yourself!
    Not sure about setting the bar high Pete. I reckon with this one he has lost it in the clouds below!
    Rob.

As I mentioned before, I was commissioned to paint 3 aircraft.

The second was also an Ernst Udet scheme, this time his famous silver of Autumn 1917.

Radiator coolant weathering on the top wing as well as instrument panel detail

The 'silver' is not a true silver but has a 2-1 ratio of 'British Uniform Green' added to it.

Retail Packs?????

Another great piece.

The show just carries on James.
    Well done again.
    Rob.

Thanks Rob.... I do paint other aircraft other than Albatros, just in case anyone was wondering

You are blowing off my head James!!! What a job you make! So perfect! Couldn't be better. I have no words...
    Thanks

Nick

Amazing! Can't give you more REP...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Amazing! Can't give you more REP...
    Allow me for both of us.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Many thanks for the coments and reputation points! As praise on the home front from the I depend on my fellow airmen and women to keep me motivated!

ttakata73

I just ordered my first batch of WW1 planes so thought I'd browse this thread.
    Wow, those are really sweet mods James.
    I don't think I can do what you do but it is a goal of mine to at least add the rigging.
    Great inspiration!

Makes me very happy to hear that, thank you and be sure to post your own creations!

Welcome Tak. I too would like to see pics of your mods/creations. Good luck and remember that nobody starts out as a master craftsman.

Welcome Tak. Yes, do post photos of your rigged kite. One of these days I'll give it a go myself.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

James _ they look utterly superb. Can I ask how you tackle the ply fuselage? The wood effect is excellent without being overdone. Not easy on such a small model.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    James _ they look utterly superb. Can I ask how you tackle the ply fuselage? The wood effect is excellent without being overdone. Not easy on such a small model.
    Tim, I did a "how to" here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-Grain-Effects

It starts off on a 1/32 scale aircraft and then I show you how its done on a 1/144 scale shapeways model.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

James – many thanks I shall be having a go.

Another very nifty bit of painting.
    I always like that red edge set off against the green.
    Rob.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast