Ares Games

Thread: Original pics of Camo German Balloons.

Exclamation Original pics of Camo German Balloons.

G'day All!
    I found these very interesting pics of German Balloons over on the Aerodrome Historical Forum.
    Apparently they experimented with Lozenge Fabric on their Balloons.
    Might be worth a try on models but wow what a job that would be.
    Maybe Clipper can train his Elves to put paint on their boots & walk over a Balloon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 German Balloon Camouflage preparing to fill.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	54430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 German Balloon lozenge fabric 2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	54429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 German  alloon_lozenge fabric 1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	54428

That's pretty impressive! I guess it would be the light day Lozenge?

Ooooo! I gotta try it! Cancel all elf leave! All hands on deck! Clipper in a stitch . . .

Nice photos thanks for posting. Maybe I should repaint my nexus balloons. The brown is just boring!

Great pictures Barry, and what a can of worms you just opened.
    I wonder if this could be the cue for producing a mini printing block, or have Clipper's elves already done that?
    Rob.

That first one looks like a kind of splinter or disruptive pattern - great pics Baz.

Looks like fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    That's pretty impressive! I guess it would be the light day Lozenge?
    Looking at photos 2 & 3 and the obvious (non-shadow) shading differences, it appears they've used upper and lower surface lozenge colours in teh same way as on aircraft. The 'disruptive pattern' camouflage in photo 1 is very intriguing!

Given what the Germans called them, that camo pattern gives whole new meaning the the phrase "spotted d ick".... >;)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Looking at photos 2 & 3 and the obvious (non-shadow) shading differences, it appears they've used upper and lower surface lozenge colours in teh same way as on aircraft. The 'disruptive pattern' camouflage in photo 1 is very intriguing!
    Yes thats correct Balders old chap.

I believe that I have seen sheets of lozenge camouflage decals advertised for sale on e-Bay.

Okay, the deed is done, see the Blimp thread on the Hobby Room thread. One down, now I think I will do the rest in my fleet in different lozenges . . . my elves think they need a life of their own! I say no way, what better life could they have! Clipper drawing the line. Thanks for the inspiration!

Exqusite work David.
    As a chap who is not unfamiliar with applying large areas of decal paper, just how did you manage to conform to the contours of the baloon so well? Or is one of your elves a chap called Mercator? I would have to plot developments of each section to get it that good, and that would take me days.
    Rob.

Ah but isn't it fun to know how to plot them! Not many people have a clue how to loft or plot, they are missing out on a lot of fun! On the other hand they can do that cool 3D printing thing! On my second attempt I sanded the extreme surface details back to allow the sticker paper to adhere better-and used a higher contrast lozenge like the photos show:

Definitely a cleaner look

Yes Dave!
    I agree there. It does have a neat line to it.
    I don't know if I will ever have the timerity to disassemble one of my balloons. depends very much on if Ares decide to re release them or not.
    Rob.