Ares Games

Thread: Van den Hovel Hurricane underside?

Default Van den Hovel Hurricane underside?

What is on the underside of this model? I think it has conversion possibilities, but his real plane had some numbers or letters painted underneath. Thanks!

Van den Hovel Hurricane underside?
    It is rather nice, one wing black, the other white. With an H on one and a 39 on the other.

Yep, I like this model, too.

I'm glad that Nexus/Ares released this version.

Haven't seen the underside yet but thanks to Nightbomber its coming my way!

In a comic book of Biggles (I guess the BoB but could be another one) there is also a Hurricane with a such a paint on the underside. However its a german who sneaks up closely and kills of some Brits. I would check it in my collection but my comics are still in the boxes after the move. Is that something realistic or authentic? This way a Van den Hovel Hurricane would be an easy conversion to a captured german one...

The black/white underside was the standard Fighter Command recognition scheme in early 1940, but didn't survive the Battle of France.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a conversion would require painting the underside. No big deal, easier than painting the top and this version is readily available.

Not sure of the period you're interested in, but the use of 'Sky' undersurfaces was introduced from 7 June 1940 (Air Ministry Signal X915), so Night/White is not appropriate for the Battle of Britain.

Yes, the Black and White cheme finished appearing on aircraft soon after & June 1940. HOWEVER, what was then applied is a total guess. The official colour of Sky was vaguely defined and up until late August/early Sep 1940 fighters could have any colour of; official Sky, Sky Grey, Eua e Nil, Sky Blue, and shades mixed at unit level to try to reproduce Sky!!
    Supplies of official Sky were well established by September.

Quote Originally Posted by Blauer Baron View Post
    Van den Hovel Hurricane underside?
    It is rather nice, one wing black, the other white. With an H on one and a 39 on the other.
    The H-39 designation seems correct for a Belgian Aeronautique Militaire Hurricane, but the source I'm using
    ( http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-Markings-1940 ) has BAF fighters as having Aluminium undersurfaces rather than Night/White. Additionally, Belgian-built Hurricanes (80) were apparently armed with 4 x .50cal HMGs rather than the 8 x .303cal LMGs of their imported British counterparts (20).