Ares Games

Thread: WW II Deluxe Set

Default WW II Deluxe Set

Although I have everything WW I, except two of the bombers, I am just getting started on collecting WW II stuff. There are still the old WW II Nexus deluxe sets around in my area. I don't plan on collecting all the WW II miniatures as I have for WW I, just the ones that fit into the theaters in which I am interested. I like all the planes in the old deluxe set and none in the new Ares one. Would I be missing much game components by getting the old set instead of the new?

The Nexus de-luxe set has slightly different rules and but more tokens/counters. It contains all four sets of damage tokens. The symbols on many counters are different from those in the Ares set. It contains some counters not in the Ares set e.g. Stuka, Ace skill 'Good at Evading' and Drop tank. The Ares set contains Rookie counters, which the Nexus set does not contain. The Airplane Consoles are laid out differently and the Ares ones are made from thinner card. The sets contain different maneuver decks, obviously because the planes are different. Both contain AA/Troop and Target/Troop cards but the Nexus set also contains Bomb cards, which are not in the Ares set.

If you manage to buy a Nexus set, you could download the Ares rules and make any extra counters yourself.

I saw a NEXUS Delux set for $50 but dd't get it. I have all the sets so thought why spend that for things I have.