Thread: Availability of Ares miniatures

Hybrid View

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Question Availability of Ares miniatures

Hi Chaps,

I have been inactive for a number of months, but was "bumped" back into flying action with the release of the new bomber miniatures. However, I have experienced some problems in obtaining them, apologies if I am cross posting here but I am curious to see if anyone else has had similar problems.

Initially I waited for my local games shop to stock them, but there seemed to be a delay as a number of online retailers were listing them as available. When I asked the shop staff about this, I got a rather derisable comment from one of them along the lines that they would not be stocking them because the WWII miniatures had not sold that well!

Faced with buying them elsewhere, I soon discovered that I had left it rather late to get hold of the Gotha's, with most stockists having sold out. I was prepared to settle for just one the Von Korff variant, but managed to get the Aschoff one as well.

So, were there fewer Gotha miniatures available to retailers in the UK, or have they been more popular than previous releases?

Furthermore, the proprietor of my local games store returned from his holiday and DID attempt to order the WWI bombers, but could only secure the Caproni's, becaue all of the Gotha's had sold out. He dismissed the earlier comment by one of his staff as nonsense.

By the way I am really pleased with the Gotha's and I am now considering a Skytrex Felixstowe.

Default Eye candy not available

I messed up somehow when ordering my Gotha and after a week realised my order had not been taken. I had thought I might just make it before the rush with that attempt. Another week shot buy and my next order was successfully placed but has apparently missed the golden window of availability. That was around June 18th. My chosen supplier is waiting for supplies, as seems is everyone else (in Germany). A flight of WWII planes is waitng for the bomber to catch up before being sent off, so the the frustration level is slowly rising. The WWI series "Nr X Early war stuff (--what ever it is) also seems to be overdue, with stockists saying July. Anyway, it is only a little time after release date, but it is nevertheless frustrating when the US, Poland and the UK seemed to get stuff "ages" ago. It does not help reading this site twice a day for too long and being reminded of that lovely eyecandy... but come on what is the difference between a Rumpler and a Gotha in playing terms...one is bigger and has more hit points. So buy a Rumpler or Brequet for a third of the price (still well available) and pretend it has 28 points or whatever. Sacrilege? The truth hurts..

Even here in GB, we were late by six weeks after the US distribution and a number of stockists did not bother to get them in at all. Dom still has the whole lot, so if you are still in need I would hit his Bombers before they also fade into oblivion.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 07-27-2012 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Even here in GB, we were late by six weeks after the US distribution and a number of stockests did not bother to get them in at all. Dom still has the whole lot, so if you are still in need I would hit his Bombers before they also fade into oblivion.
    Rob.
    The words 'crying' and 'shame' spring to mind.
    Gotha supply starting to run dry in Sweden too.

Reminds my of a story my father in law likes to tell (like all other of his stories - repeatedly), about a small local general store that had stopped carrying a popular product because they kept selling out so they'd have to order more.

/Niclas

Check this shop: http://www.rebel.pl/category.php/1,1...-of-Glory.html

It is a Polish one and they still offer one of the Gotha G.V's (Aschoff) and both Caproni Ca.3's. Andrzej (Nightbomber) should be able to help you with ordering. The price is 129.95 PLN which should equal about 31.4 EUR.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Looks like availability should be getting better again now; the bombers first shipped to UK retailers June 18th - the following week the Gothas were out of stock with the British distributor, and a week later the Capronis too. It looks like a second shipment's probably made it though, as they're showing as available again. I've got all 4 in stock right now (gratuitous self-promotion, sorry....) but if your usual supplier's been having problems getting them, they may well find they're available again if they ask now - looks like it was a limited supply to start with, not a major shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I've got all 4 in stock right now (gratuitous self-promotion, sorry....) .
    Already done that Dom. See post three.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Oops, thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Oops, thanks....
    Not only that Dom. I have just sent you an order for decals.
    Got to help my Wngman out.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep got it thanks - the GB-1 needs a reprint, but hopefully I can get it sorted in the morning.

The only difficulty I had in getting hold of the bombers was that both Gothas went missing in the post! Whilst I waited for the original supplier to sort this out I noticed that the Von Korff had sold out seemingly everywhere, and so did my supplier. However I have now managed to get a copy of all four, plus an extra Caproni slipped in somehow.

The last time I looked all four were on ebay.uk and Amazon.uk, though I think that some of those were supplied from the USA so the postage was very steep.

I now check every known vendor almost every day to stop the early fighters slipping through unnoticed!