Ares Games

Thread: Nexus D.H.4 mis-named?

Default Nexus D.H.4 mis-named?

My first two Brit machines arrived yesterday, thanks to a 'drome member across the pond, to whit a pair of D.H.4s that hopefully will do better than their nickname bodes!

But I'm puzzled by the labelled on the box - specifically, I think Nexus made a mistake with the naming. The label says "WW08J De Havilland D.H.4 (Cadbury & Leckie)".

Wasn't the D.H.4 actually the Airco D.H.4 though? While the "DH" number is a result of Geoffrey de Havilland designing it, the de Havilland company didn't exist until 1920 (coincidentally the year that Airco ceased to exist and was bought by the Birmingham Small Arms Company).

While the D.H.4 continued into the early thirties, from what I've read these were mostly American-built planes (mainly by Boeing). I'm guessing that these built-under-licence models were referred to as the de Havilland D.H.4. (And hence possibly the mis-naming confusion.)

Or have I missed something blindingly obvious and it's actually right all along?

Yes, I agree. It should be named Airco D.H.4. but it was designed by Geoffrey de Havilland and when the Birmingham Small Arms Company liquidated Airco he bought the parts of Airco he needed to start his own company. It does not cause much confusion.