Ares Games

Thread: AAR - P40s vs. Messerschmidtts

Default AAR - P40s vs. Messerschmidtts

Coog and I met up this week for a game. It was great meeting him and we had a great time!

We decided to play WWII with the new Wings of Glory Standard Rules and played the Dawn of War Patrol scenario with two P40s (Lott and Gisclon) vs. two Messerschmidtt Bf109 E-3s (Balthasar and Molders). Coog flew the P40s and I flew the Messerschmidtts. I hope you enjoy the pictures and much as we enjoyed the game.

1-First Engagement

2-First Blood!

3-First Fly By

4-Immelmanns

5-2nd Engagement

6-2nd Fly By

7-Manuevers

8-Manuevers

9-Manuevers

10-Manuevers

11-3rd Engagement

12-Messerschmidtt Down!

13-Final Engagement

14-Final Fly By

15-Final Messerschmidtt Damage

16-Final P40 Damage

17-Final P40 Damage

18-Dwarflord22 & Coog
    Last edited by Dwarflord22; 07-07-2012 at 23:45.

Gisclon outmaneuvered Balthasar...

The P40s brought definitely more firepower to this head-on-duels.

Rough fight & good pictures, Michael. I like to see WW II action.

Those are a lot of zeroes pulled against Gisclon. What luck! Thanks for sharing the photos and AAR.

Thank you for posting this.

Love how the pics tell the story.

But why do people always go for the heads-on pass?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kingsley
    Sorties Flown

Had this problem last night, it seems very hard to maneuver to flank, unfortunately my P40 went down to the KI, explosion, the Yak scored an explosion on the reggiane. The Yak vs a KI, very unfair fight, it just couldn't cut it. Three games, three losses, my record is not looking good. Nice AAR though, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJamison View Post
    Because, as has been discussed elsewhere and at length: It is bloody-near-impossible to *not* wind up head-on to an opponent -- flank attacks are difficult to set up; and tailing is even worse. And let's face it: There's not much difference in handling between the fighters available -- it isn't as tho' one unit has the "sharp right turn" option seen in the WW1 game (and altitude isn't a factor here; one is still passing head-on regardless of whether or not one's foe is at the same altitude). Finally: Most folks on the Forum are experienced hands -- good luck trying to tail one of them. Head-on passes are inevitable under the circumstances

I'm surprised altitude *isn't* a factor. It's the only way of avoiding such head-on "jousts" with so few planes in combat.

I couldn't agree more. Without the use of the altitude rules, the big bruisers like the Tony have too big an advantage. Altitude, and bigger tables, are what allow the dancers (Spitifire and Hurricane and the #$%&! Zero) to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    I'm surprised altitude *isn't* a factor. It's the only way of avoiding such head-on "jousts" with so few planes in combat.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kingsley
    Sorties Flown

I picked up a Spitfire MII the other day WoW edition, 2B's for close range really? Very underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJamison View Post
    That's why I'm normaly insist on altitude rules for WW II games.

Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    I picked up a Spitfire MII the other day WoW edition, 2B's for close range really? Very underwhelming.
    It was an early version Kingsley - Perhaps you should make it a MkIIb version & boost the firepower with cannons :
    "..920 Mk IIs were built. Of them the majority (750) were Mk IIas, with eight .303 Browning machine guns while 170 were Mk IIbs, with two 20mm cannon and four .303 machine guns". ( http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...fire_mkII.html )

Thanks for posting the thread Michael - great pics & nice to see the faces behind the names

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kingsley
    Sorties Flown

Yeh, did a bit of research and the Spitfire Mk II's had 8x.303 (7.7mm) and the P-40F's, as in the deluxe starter set, had 6x.50 (12.7mm). Still it is a nice looking plane, but the Hawker Hurricane is still one of my all time favourite British aircraft and I still looking for these in the DoW sets.

Default Spitfire Mk.V stats

Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    I am painting up a flight of Supermarine Spitfire Mk.V's, which first saw service over the Channel in February 1941. Most had the 'b' wing armed with 2 x 20mm Hispano cannon and 4 x .303in machine guns. The Mark V saw service in all theatres of war from 1941 to 1944. It was produced in greater numbers than any other single mark of Spitfire.

The one below is a Mark Vc, same as a Vb but with a tropical Vokes filter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spit VC 54 Sqn RAF.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	52251

Stats for the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb are:

Damage points 18
    Manouver Deck A (the Mark V was only 7 mph faster than the Mark II and just as manouverable)
    Short range B C C
    Long range A C
    Top Altitude 12
    Climb Rate 2

Might even things out a bit.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kingsley
    Sorties Flown

Cheers Carl

Thumbs up

Michael

A very nice report. The real luck is pulling nothing but o`s!

Rich

Thank you for all of your comments! I really enjoy AARs with lots of pics and narrative to give a good feel of how the battle went.

Nice piucs of an engagement and good to see people meet.